Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i might be the only one on here who is in high school now but worth a try to ask, and arnt there some teachers on here? So yeah i am taking the new SAT in may, i am the first graduating class that has to take this new SAT and the first administration of it isnt until march. But here is my question i took a practice test on it (so i know what areas a need to study instead of reading the whole HUGE pre book) and i got a score of 1610, on the old test i would be a freaking genius lol, but dont really know what that score means, did i do ok? did i do awful? i know i need to study a lot more but it would be good to have some idea of that that ment.

So yeah if anyone on here as any idea i say thanks a zillion times lol i am reading threw the like whole college board site now but not having much luck.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I'm looking on the net to see what I can find out about it. Here is a story that was in Time magazine. It is from Oct 2003 though so things might have changed.

article

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I never even took the SAT. :/ Only the ACT. My score is sorta average. I kept making really high math and low english or vice versa. I couldnt get them BOTH high. That really sucked for me.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links! i am still reading the time article lol its really long....i am gonna sign up for the ACT as well and just go with whatever test i do better on

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For once i think i am glad i spent my freshman and sophmore years are a college prep school (even if it did kill my gpa) people keep talking about how bad its gonne be writting an essay, i can write a 5 paragraph essay in 40 min form my english ii class so a 3 paragraph in 25 min is nothing(not that you would know that from how i write on here lol)....its the algebra II and analizing poems i am worried about

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I love poetry! I haven't really written in a while but those were my favorite classes in college. I love writing so all my writing classes were a breeze. I had trouble in math an science!
I only took the SAT because the college I wanted to go to only needed the SAT scores. Actually they didn't really need them either. They actually had a special test that you could take if you didn't take the SAT and if you passed you got in. Yeah I know I shoot for the skies lol. So my college wasn't the hardest in the world, I still loved it.
It was a 2 year state school, SUNY, State University of New York. Some curriculums were for 4 years but that was only like 2 of them. There was another college across the street that was a 4 year school. Everyone thought I should have been there but it was more than twice the price of the school I went to and I didn't even have the money for that. I got half my college paid for in grants and the other half I am still paying off in loans.
Anyway, good luck with your SAT and ACT.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on the SAT...I took my last SAT almost 30 years ago. Back then, you took the SAT, and the Achievement tests. My children go to a prep school and they provide a SAT preparation course for all high schoolers. They administer the test to eighth graders, and work from there. I guess when you are under a certain age, the scores are not reported or part of the student's "permanent record". You might want to consider an SAT prep class as they can be extremely helpful in test taking strategy. I know at school, the kids learn when it's in your favor to guess if you don't know the correct answer; how to construct key elements for your essay...what goes in paragraph one, two and three for instance; and they help the students achieve a comfort level to taking the test. Some of the ones advertised guarantee score improvements or your money back.

Now that I've given my limited knowledge of the SAT, here is the mom in me speaking....spend time figuring out what schools you are interested in. Look at their websites, try to get a sense of their student body, and spend some time reviewing your "resume" of activities. I have a dear friend who is the dean of admissions at a major university and he always tells me that a well balanced package of test scores, grades, and activities, along with a great personal interview are key. One area can be "light" if others are exceptional. There are so many wonderful colleges in this country, really spend some time thinking about just the right place for you, because it's out there. It's so easy to get caught up in focusing on SAT scores and ignore the rest of the picture.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Once in college, where labels don't matter, I realized that I wasn't average and once I found a major that interested me, I was able to excel--please keep that in mind and good luck!

This is so true. The point of my advice was that we tend to focus too much on just one aspect of the decision to go to college...the standardized test. There is so much more to it than that.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Feb 15 2005, 10:43 AM
i can write a 5 paragraph essay in 40 min form my english ii class so a 3 paragraph in 25 min is nothing(not that you would know that from how i write on here lol)....its the algebra II and analizing poems i am worried about
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35551
[/QUOTE]

SHUT UP! There is no freakin way I can write a paper in 40 mins. I dont mind writing papers, but it would take me DAYS! And I feel you on analizing poems. How are you gonna talk about a rock, and REALLY be talking about the meaning of life? But I do like writing poems. Mine aren't the BEST or whatever, but it's a way to express myself. Now math, is another thing. I'm good in math!

And I do not think anyone who went to a community college should feel bad about that. I was top5% of my class and I still went to a community college. I didnt see the logic going into a university so quick. Because 1--it's 3 times cheaper going to a community college and 2--comm. college tends to be easier which means easier A's which means EASY 4.0 gpa to start out with and 3--you have lesser students per class which means more attention to you.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
yep! I think CC is also great because it will give you a lil break. My CC was easier than highschool! But, I still learn more in CC. And so far, I dont have any loans to pay off and I'd like to keep it that way
. The CC I'm going to now is the same price as the university my bf went to 8 yrs ago. When I started going there it was like 50-60 bucks per hr. Now it's almost 100 per hr. SUCKS! I wish I'd figured out what I wanted to do THEN! SHEESH!!!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Feb 15 2005, 10:58 AM
Ok so i might be the only one on here who is in high school now but worth a try to ask, and arnt there some teachers on here?  So yeah i am taking the new SAT in may, i am the first graduating class that has to take this new SAT and the first administration of it isnt until march.  But here is my question i took a practice test on it (so i know what areas a need to study instead of reading the whole HUGE pre book) and i got a score of 1610, on the old test i would be a freaking genius lol, but dont really know what that score means, did i do ok? did i do awful? i know i need to study a lot more but it would be good to have some idea of that that ment.

So yeah if anyone on here as any idea i say thanks a zillion times lol i am reading threw the like whole college board site now but not having much luck.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35530
[/QUOTE]

YAY SOMEONE ELSE YOUNG

haha I'm in eighth grade

Anyways I think the scores are out of 2400? So I guess that would be average.

I took the old sat last year cuz I'm gifted or something and got 1040 ;x Not bad for a seventh grader I guess...

Anyways I'll ask my sister, she's a junior.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by saltymalty@Feb 15 2005, 12:01 PM
I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on the SAT...I took my last SAT almost 30 years ago.  Back then, you took the SAT, and the Achievement tests.  My children go to a prep school and they provide a SAT preparation course for all high schoolers.  They administer the test to eighth graders, and work from there.  I guess when you are under a certain age, the scores are not reported or part of the student's "permanent record".  You might want to consider an SAT prep class as they can be extremely helpful in test taking strategy.  I know at school, the kids learn when it's in your favor to guess if you don't know the correct answer; how to construct key elements for your essay...what goes in paragraph one, two and three for instance; and they help the students achieve a comfort level to taking the test.  Some of the ones advertised guarantee score improvements or your money back. 

Now that I've given my limited knowledge of the SAT, here is the mom in me speaking....spend time figuring out what schools you are interested in.  Look at their websites, try to get a sense of their student body, and spend some time reviewing your "resume" of activities.  I have a dear friend who is the dean of admissions at a major university and he always tells me that a well balanced package of test scores, grades, and activities,  along with a great personal interview are key.  One area can be "light" if others are exceptional.  There are so many wonderful colleges in this country, really spend some time thinking about just the right place for you, because it's out there.  It's so easy to get caught up in focusing on SAT scores and ignore the rest of the picture.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35561
[/QUOTE]

My school i am at now has an SAT prep class but my guidance counciler wont let me in it becuase i didnt ask if i could take the class until 'after the scheduals were printed' which i think is crap, just reprint it! but by the time my mom called to school to talk about it it really was to late to get into the class so i am just trying to study on my own i have been studying a lot i am pretty sure if i took another practice test now (well not right now i have the flu and cant even talk right lol) i would do a lot better than i did on the first one.

Right now i have my college chooses down to 4 places but it might change, maybe some of you know something about one of them:
-Flagler College,St. Augustine, FL
-Limestone College,Gaffney, SC
-St. Edward's University,Austin, TX (ok this one i am proubly not smart enough to go to, proubly cant pay for, and cnat see my mom letting me go to texas but its where i really want to go lol)
-University of Central Florida,Orlando, FL

Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Feb 15 2005, 01:40 PM
SHUT UP!  There is no freakin way I can write a paper in 40 mins.  I dont mind writing papers, but it would take me DAYS!  And I feel you on analizing poems.  How are you gonna talk about a rock, and REALLY be talking about the meaning of life?  But I do like writing poems.  Mine aren't the BEST or whatever, but it's a way to express myself.  Now math, is another thing.  I'm good in math!

And I do not think anyone who went to a community college should feel bad about that.  I was top5% of my class and I still went to a community college.  I didnt see the logic going into a university so quick.  Because 1--it's 3 times cheaper going to a community college and 2--comm. college tends to be easier which means easier A's which means EASY 4.0 gpa to start out with and 3--you have lesser students per class which means more attention to you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35603
[/QUOTE]

My English II regular class was crazy hard, English III honors feels like a joke compared to it, at least twice a week we had to write 5 paragraph essays in 40 min and you couldnt just write BS because whatever you wrote you have to read in front of the class the next day. while i was in the class i couldnt stand it, there was just so much work for the class but now we are doing the exact same stuff i did last year now so its super easy (reading exactly the same story this week).

I dont have a proublem with CC and thats where my mom wants me to go (keeps saying if i leave i am gonna ruin her life lol) but right now, and for the past few years, i have been really pushing myself to take a lot of hard classes so i could get into a college that if i had planned on going to a CC i coudl have just skipped. I know at some point on here i have complained about my AP european history class, i dont want it to end up that sitting threw those classes really didnt make a differnt in where i go to college, ya know?

Originally posted by puppylucy@Feb 15 2005, 05:43 PM
YAY SOMEONE ELSE YOUNG

haha I'm in eighth grade

Anyways I think the scores are out of 2400? So I guess that would be average.

I took the old sat last year cuz I'm gifted or something and got 1040 ;x Not bad for a seventh grader I guess...

Anyways I'll ask my sister, she's a junior.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35673
[/QUOTE]

Awsome lol someone around my age on here lol. from what i read in those new articles the score i got on my practice tests if horrible but i am not worried about it i only took it to get an idea on what i needed to study the most and like i already said i know i cant do better now, and i have till may when i need to take it. my middle school didnt offer the SAT so i never took it then, kinda wish they did though would have been intresting so see what i would have gotten on the old one. If your sister is a junior this year (i am ) then she also is part of the first graduating class to have to take this new SAT i am sure she has had to hear all about it in school, we are like the test class for this new SAT lol.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Feb 15 2005, 10:58 AM
Ok so i might be the only one on here who is in high school now but worth a try to ask, and arnt there some teachers on here?  So yeah i am taking the new SAT in may, i am the first graduating class that has to take this new SAT and the first administration of it isnt until march.  But here is my question i took a practice test on it (so i know what areas a need to study instead of reading the whole HUGE pre book) and i got a score of 1610, on the old test i would be a freaking genius lol, but dont really know what that score means, did i do ok? did i do awful? i know i need to study a lot more but it would be good to have some idea of that that ment.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35530
[/QUOTE]

I went to the college board site and was totally confused, too
I'll keep trying to get the info for you....

EDIT: Here is a great story from US News & World Report that explains it very well... total score on new test is 2400. http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/a...05sat_brief.php

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
My daughters were educated in Virginia where the SAT was the primary test. Here in Mississippi the ACT is more commonly used. The two tests are scored differently. I don't know about the new SAT, but with the old version you were penalized 1/4 point (or something like that) for a wrong answer. The ACT doesn't penalize. Start with the SAT, but if you aren't happy with your score then try the ACT. Every college that I know of will accept one OR the other. My oldest did great on the SAT and the ACT but Vandy only gave money for merit if you had 1550 or higher (out of 1600). Her score was good, but not that good.

Don't be freaked out. There is way too much pressure on high school kids these days. On the east coast college was VERY competitive. In Mississippi and our neighboring states the kids don't worry nearly so much about getting in and everyone does and they do just fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts