Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my rounds of local stores to prepare for the upcoming typhoon, I stopped by the vet's office to pick up some more food and try to talk him into some sedatives for Sir. N. Sir N is the one terrified by storms....during the last major typhoon, he worked himself up into vomiting fits. I've tried to get sedatives for him before during thunderstorms, but the vet doesn't like giving sedatives for anything that he terms "a mental problem". (Before you blast him remember that English is not his first language and he can't always express himself as precisely as he could in his own lanaguge, which I'm too stupid to learn properly.)

Anyway, he did agree that a sedative might end up being in order and I'm to pick it up tomorrow afternoon because he's nearly out now. However, he also just got in a shipment of D.A.P. (Dog Appeasing Pheromene).

I bought that as well but will still pick up the drugs tomorrow as the D.A.P. only works if plugged in and receiving electricity. But, I'm curious about how effective it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've used the feline version, and, found it helpful in terms of cutting down scratching and boxing matches (I have more than one cat).

I think if you use it you might not notice that it is working, even though it is helping. Do you have more than one dog?

Expecting a typhoon--now that is terrifying. Are you on high ground? Will you have to evacuate?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I hope I can help you with Sir N. As a dog trainer, I have spent some time with dogs afraid of thunderstorms. I have found one thing that seems to work with dogs.

Buy a tape or dvd of thunderstorms. Walmart used to have them as well as nature stores. Start by playing it so low that you can't even hear it. In three days turn it up just a tiny bit so faint you can hardly hear it. Gradually, over a month or (maybe more) depending on your dog turn up the sound. In time you should be able to turn up the sound full blast. If the Sir N starts to feel frightful again turn down and start over. In time he will NOT fear thunderstorms.

If your dog is afraid of the lightening you may have to put him in a room with no windows.

In all my years of dog training I have never worked with a dog that didn't get over the fear of thunderstorms

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ancient 'Teeser, I'm on the second floor and I'm pretty far inland. We can expect a lot of rain, wind, and noise--but no real danger, I think. Also, it appears that Japan is going to be taking the worst hit and the eye now looks as it will bypass us completely. Yes, I have two dogs. The younger one, Little C, doesn't even really notice thunder. She'll continue whatever she's doing: eating, playing, sleeping...and sometimes take advantage of Sir N's fear to get in some quality, uninterrupted humping.

ConnieVa, Do you know of any online sites that sell CDs like those? I live in Asia, so some things are a little hard to come by at times.

Sir N is afraid of lightning as well--I think he put two and two together and figured out that if he sees lightning, he can expect thunder. The only room with no windows is the bathroom and it's not a western bathroom. It's normally very wet as there is no bathtub. I shower directly on the floor and it's much smaller than most American closets. I think getting shut up in there would probably make it worse for him. I do have a kennel set up for him that I can make pitch black on the inside, but he doesn't want to be in it unless I'm in there with him. He wants to be wherever I am...or better yet, be INSIDE me wherever I am...thinks there is some kind of secret tunnel into my stomach.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.