Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has tried this product. From what I read on their website (USA manufacturer, original manufacturer is in Canada) it sounds pretty good. I like the fact that the bones are ground as I would worry about feeding my two smallest furkids whole or even chopped bones. I also like the different varieties (chicken, turkey, beef, rabbit, goat, lamb) that they offer. Unfortunately, the nearest retailer to me is 5 hours away and they require a minimum order of 10# to be shipped from the manufacturer. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

And yes, I'm just a bit too lazy to make a homemade BARF diet...Heck, I rarely cook for the skin family!!

Here's their website...
Homemade 4 Life

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BARF diet is AKA "bones and raw food" or "biologically appropriate raw food" diet. The premise is that the food is based on what carniverous/omniverous animals would eat if "wild". It's a move from processed foods to more natural food base. Most, if not all, grain products are excluded from this diet.

Here is a website by "Aunt Jeni" (the owner of the Homemade 4 Life USA manufacturer) that she made in 1999 on how to make a BARF diet.

BARF Pictorial

Another site by a NJ Boxer lover on BARF FAQs.
BARF for Beginners

A site based on Dr. Billinghurst's BARF diet, he's an Australian vet who has written a couple of books on BARF.
BARFworld

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i've seen stuff like that in the freezer section at petstores---and this one guy said that they're great because it has all the nutrients you need. and i'm not sure how it is on BARF, but with homecooked---i know its hard cuz you have to add bonemeal and make sure they have their veggies and all that stuff.

anyway...my point was that buying from a manufacturer is probably a lot better than making it on your own cuz it has all the vitamins packed in it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
thanks for the website, I am always looking into different ways of feeding, If I ever tried a diet like that I would feel more comfortable if I wasnt making it probably because I would be afraid of keeping out a certain supplement etc. I feed chicken soup right now

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone has tried this product. From what I read on their website (USA manufacturer, original manufacturer is in Canada) it sounds pretty good. I like the fact that the bones are ground as I would worry about feeding my two smallest furkids whole or even chopped bones. I also like the different varieties (chicken, turkey, beef, rabbit, goat, lamb) that they offer. Unfortunately, the nearest retailer to me is 5 hours away and they require a minimum order of 10# to be shipped from the manufacturer. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

And yes, I'm just a bit too lazy to make a homemade BARF diet...Heck, I rarely cook for the skin family!!

Here's their website...
Homemade 4 Life
Did you end up buying the Jeni diet? I was just looking back at this post and wanted to let you know that this diet by Aunt Jeni has come very recommended!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you end up buying the Jeni diet? I was just looking back at this post and wanted to let you know that this diet by Aunt Jeni has come very recommended![/B]

No, I didn't end up with the Jeni frozen diet because I'm too far away from any retailers (over 5 hours) and I didn't want to risk the food defrosting during transport. I have just started all four of my furkids on The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw diet in which I add several small chunks of chicken wings depending on the size of the furkid. Deni loves the raw chicken and will eat the rehydrated food only after she eats the chicken; Bogey, my 15.5 y/o Pekapoo gobbles everything up; Ally the 1.25 y/o tiny Pekapoo only nibbles at the chicken but eats the rehydrated food; and finally, Corky the 12.5 y/o giant Chihuahua has ignored the food altogether until tonight when she ate just a little of it. I'm using Verve for the geriatric dogs (grain-free) and Embark for the little ones. We've only been on it fully for two days so we'll have to see how it goes. It is a bit pricey, but if you were to rehydrate a 4# bucket, it's supposed to rehydrate into 17# of food. That'll go a long way, I think, for my kids. (I purchased two 4# buckets, one of Verve and one of Embark.) I'm guessing about a two month supply if not more. The food does contain dehydrated turkey or chicken as well.

My son has just started going to college in a town that has a petstore that sells frozen meals. I'll probably ask him to pick up a couple of them the next time he comes home for Thanksgiving since I'll know exactly what kind of transport the food will be under (temp control, etc).

The Honest Kitchen- Human grade dehydrated dog food

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Thanks for the reply
I recently (3 days ago) started on the natures variety frozen raw. Here is the link: http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lass...383CAkOu38CEB32

But, the aunt Jeni, which is less well-known, is supposed to be a good one. That honest kitchen diet looks good also! Does it have everything they need? I am thinking about cooking the frozen raw by natures variety, just dont know if its ok to do that.

Originally posted by mousern@Sep 11 2005, 09:37 PM
Did you end up buying the Jeni diet? I was just looking back at this post and wanted to let you know that this diet by Aunt Jeni has come very recommended!

No, I didn't end up with the Jeni frozen diet because I'm too far away from any retailers (over 5 hours) and I didn't want to risk the food defrosting during transport. I have just started all four of my furkids on The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw diet in which I add several small chunks of chicken wings depending on the size of the furkid. Deni loves the raw chicken and will eat the rehydrated food only after she eats the chicken; Bogey, my 15.5 y/o Pekapoo gobbles everything up; Ally the 1.25 y/o tiny Pekapoo only nibbles at the chicken but eats the rehydrated food; and finally, Corky the 12.5 y/o giant Chihuahua has ignored the food altogether until tonight when she ate just a little of it. I'm using Verve for the geriatric dogs (grain-free) and Embark for the little ones. We've only been on it fully for two days so we'll have to see how it goes. It is a bit pricey, but if you were to rehydrate a 4# bucket, it's supposed to rehydrate into 17# of food. That'll go a long way, I think, for my kids. (I purchased two 4# buckets, one of Verve and one of Embark.) I'm guessing about a two month supply if not more. The food does contain dehydrated turkey or chicken as well.

My son has just started going to college in a town that has a petstore that sells frozen meals. I'll probably ask him to pick up a couple of them the next time he comes home for Thanksgiving since I'll know exactly what kind of transport the food will be under (temp control, etc).

The Honest Kitchen- Human grade dehydrated dog food
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98657
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I know there will be others who will disagree with my opinion. And this little soapbox spill is just that, an opinion. My intention here is not to step on any toes or hurt any feelings. I am just stating an opinion. With this said here goes......

Okay, I know I'm out on a limb here but you asked.....Personally as for me and the Sassy gir-r-r we are staying with the major premium dog food companies (with a little stuff that mommy adds on the side here and there
). Dog food companies spend a gazillions dollars annually on research and quality control to insure that our beloved pets get the proper nutrition. First of all, I could not in good faith give Sassy raw meat of any kind. Not with the bacterias out there that could actually kill her. Who is to say that these kitchens are properly cleaned where they have had raw chicken as well as other foods laying around. And who monotors the time frames these foods are left out at room temp (media for bacteria to grow)?
These little fluff butts are aristocrats and have not lived in the wild for hundreds of years. They do not scavenge for food nor do they eat from someones garbage can on the side of the road. Hello!

I give Sassy a quality premium dry kibble. Also, I give her a little people food here and there. ie baby carrots, scrambled egg, cottage cheese, green beans. I also supplement her occasionally (probably 3-4 days a week) with a multivitamin. I call it her "Flintstone" but it is really not, it is a doggie vitamin I got from her vet.

I have been against the BARF plan from day one. And I must say I had never looked at their pictorial until tonight. I thought I would Barf....I mean Puke. Man that was some nasty looking stuff. Raw chicken necks....no way. Sassy eats only the best. When she eats chicken she gets boneless, skinless chicken breast. As for beef, it is filet mignon. She occasionally has grilled salmon with the skin and dark fat removed.

From the pictorial......IMO they are using veggie scrapes and junk meat, the stuff that most of us throw away.

Raw = NO............not for my precious baby.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Which Kibble does Sassy get?

Maybe Im wrong, but I belive that a lot of the holistic companies havent been around nearly as long as say a larger company like purina (I am in no way advocating purina dog food), and they (smaller hollistic companies) also dont have as much money for RDA and so they arent able to do the experimentation to see how the dog does on the food. They just compare their ingredients and guaranteed analysis to those who are able to do the research and assume that since it is close to the same "AAFO suggestions", that you will see the same positive results. (If I am making any sense). I personally use the chicken soup bc I like the ingredients, no chemicals by-products etc. but a lot of people do choose the brands like purina and I dont know if I see a direct correlation with dog food and life span, but then again I could be wrong. I am just referencing to the fact that I know several dog owners who dont feed their dogs the holistic foods like I do, and their dogs have lived a very long time. My old vets poodle lived to be 18 years old, she was on science diet her whole life.

I personally just want to give my 3 the best, whatever it is and whatever it costs, doesnt matter. But I want to make sure they are getting the proper nutrition that will maximize their health.
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Sep 11 2005, 09:51 PM
I know there will be others who will disagree with my opinion. And this little soapbox spill is just that, an opinion. My intention here is not to step on any toes or hurt any feelings. I am just stating an opinion. With this said here goes......

Okay, I know I'm out on a limb here but you asked.....Personally as for me and the Sassy gir-r-r we are staying with the major premium dog food companies (with a little stuff that mommy adds on the side here and there 
). Dog food companies spend a gazillions dollars annually on research and quality control to insure that our beloved pets get the proper nutrition. First of all, I could not in good faith give Sassy raw meat of any kind. Not with the bacterias out there that could actually kill her. Who is to say that these kitchens are properly cleaned where they have had raw chicken as well as other foods laying around. And who monotors the time frames these foods are left out at room temp (media for bacteria to grow)? 
These little fluff butts are aristocrats and have not lived in the wild for hundreds of years. They do not scavenge for food nor do they eat from someones garbage can on the side of the road. Hello!

I give Sassy a quality premium dry kibble. Also, I give her a little people food here and there. ie baby carrots, scrambled egg, cottage cheese, green beans. I also supplement her occasionally (probably 3-4 days a week) with a multivitamin. I call it her "Flintstone" but it is really not, it is a doggie vitamin I got from her vet.

I have been against the BARF plan from day one. And I must say I had never looked at their pictorial until tonight. I thought I would Barf....I mean Puke. Man that was some nasty looking stuff. Raw chicken necks....no way. Sassy eats only the best. When she eats chicken she gets boneless, skinless chicken breast. As for beef, it is filet mignon. She occasionally has grilled salmon with the skin and dark fat removed.

From the pictorial......IMO they are using veggie scrapes and junk meat, the stuff that most of us throw away.

Raw = NO............not for my precious baby.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98660
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Which Kibble does Sassy get?

Maybe Im wrong, but I belive that a lot of the holistic companies havent been around nearly as long as say a larger company like purina (I am in no way advocating purina dog food), and they (smaller hollistic companies) also dont have as much money for RDA and so they arent able to do the experimentation to see how the dog does on the food. They just compare their ingredients and guaranteed analysis to those who are able to do the research and assume that since it is close to the same "AAFO suggestions", that you will see the same positive results. (If I am making any sense). I personally use the chicken soup bc I like the ingredients, no chemicals by-products etc. but a lot of people do choose the brands like purina and I dont know if I see a direct correlation with dog food and life span, but then again I could be wrong. I am just referencing to the fact that I know several dog owners who dont feed their dogs the holistic foods like I do, and their dogs have lived a very long time. My old vets poodle lived to be 18 years old, she was on science diet her whole life.

I personally just want to give my 3 the best, whatever it is and whatever it costs, doesnt matter. But I want to make sure they are getting the proper nutrition that will maximize their health.

Brooke,
Sassy has been on, or I should say has tried, many different dry kibbles. She is a very picky eater. She has been on everything from natural holistic foods, to high end commercial, even Science Diet which some people consider to be not so good. But I will address this later. She has eaten: Innova, Science Diet Puppy, Nutro Max, Naturapet,Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul, Solid Gold, and 2 different Royal Canine Blends, just to name most of them. She is currently on Science Diet Senior and believe it or not she eats this one better than any she has ever tried. I discussed this with her vet and he says she is getting adequate nutrition from this product. Now many will say that Science Diet is not good. But I have done research and found that the quality standards on Science Diet are always consistant. Some other dog food companies put the minimal amount required by AAFO and let the standards squander during the month. So with these foods it really depends on the time of the month it is packaged. Again, Science Diet at least is consistant. I understand exactly what you mean by wanting your doggies to get good nutrition. I would prefer that Sassy be on a different product but if she will not eat it then all nutrition goes out the window. Like you I thought I was doing good with the Chicken Soup; however, it is not as high quality as we are lead to believe. The first ingredients are I think chicken, turkey, then maybe the meals......well this means that since chicken and turkey is heavier by weight than the other products you don't get very much of it. It is better to go with the chicken, turkey, lamb or whatever protein "meals" as the first ingredients. A lot of people fault Science Diet for using corn meal saying it is a filler. Doggies do not need as much protein as we humans would like to think. Dogs are omnivors not carnivors meaning they also eat fruits and veggies. Starches can be given in small amounts. Also, in some of the holistic products the companies list thinks like: beets, sweet potatoes, kelp, hemp oil yada yada yada the problem is nobody has ever proven that these actually provide nutrition to the doggie digestive tract. Food does not stay inside a little dog long enough for the body to properly digest some of these foods; therefore, they get absolutely no nutrition from them. It sounds good to us humans, but to a little dog it means nothing. As for as good nutrious food and life span I think you are absolutely correct. It only seems to reason that good nutrition = good health = longer life. Personally I steer away from the grocery store brands. But as for the other major brands ie Science Diet, Chicken Soup, Nutro, Naturalpet, ect I think it is pretty much a judgement call. Our pets will and will not eat certain ones of them. Ex: I wanted Sassy to eat the lamb and rice, but guess what? It ain't gonna happen, she will not eat lamb. I can't say that I blame her, I don't care for lamb either.
Chicken is her favorite. Some say that lamb is better as far as allergies. That has become a false statement. Our doggies are normally less allergic to foods that they are not exposed to frequently. Therefore, lamb is not a food that will not cause allergies. It is too prevelant in the dog food industry today. Nowadays, we see trends going towards white fish, and bison. The fish is normally combined with potatoes. Potatoes-corn what is the difference. Starches are still fillers so what is the difference. I think the reason corn got a bad rap was that a few years ago farmers were using pesticides and the residue was getting into the animal foods. Therefore, alarmists spread the word not to feed pets products that contained corn. Wow! Brook, as you can see I could go on and on here. I have read countless hours on this subject. The bottom line is just to read the labels and choose whichever you feel will give your baby the best nutrition. IF he/she will eat the product. But also keep in mind that doggie nutrition and human nutrition are not the same. If your baby is like Sassy and has a mind of her own then you have to choose one that, even though it might not be your first choice, you know it has nutrition and is being consumed. When it comes to Sassy the costs never enter into the picture.

*By products today are not the same as they were years ago. Today they may include organs that do not provide the best source of protein, but they do not include stomach renderings, intestines, feathers, beaks, hooves, hair, etc. Granted a hair or two might get into the vates simply by the process of cleaning the animals. But the FDA which approves food suitable for human consumption will and does approve X amount of maggots per X amount of mushrooms to be canned. So the next time you go to add a can of mushrooms to a recipe you are preparing just know that the maggots are approved by the FDA. **I always wondered if the brand M&M stood for Maggots & Mushrooms!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts