Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Apr 3 2005, 03:36 AM
I personally don't understand how some people live off their dogs.  I don't want to be mean but most that breed and not show have no other source of income.  They basically live off their dogs.  I don't know how they do it because I sure can't....my furkids take a chunk of my pay check.  I know a breeder who her and her husband have no job.  They have been breeding for over 20 years ... if they aren't in it for profit ... I don't know what they are in it for.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48490
[/QUOTE]

CharmyPoo,

I am just curious. Are you saying that no one should be making an income out of breeding or just not the people who don't show their dogs? Do most reputable breeders who show have outside jobs?

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Lucy Lou,

I definitely remember that you have an outside job!
Thanks for your very helpful responses!

CharmyPoo,

Thanks for your response. I have trouble believing that very well known breeders who sell even their "pet quality" pups for $2-3,000 are breaking even or just making a little bit of money. I know that there are great breeders who only have limited, well planned litters so they must not be making all that much money at all, but I would be willing to bet that there are others (even the ones who show their dogs and are reputable) do end up making what must be a nice profit from their pups by perhaps breeding more frequently or some other means (sort of what Lucy Lou described). Of course, this is just my opinion based on observations and not on any facts.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Do you know how much it costs to finish a dog even if you owner handle it? Entry fees for a weekend are about $50, add gas, hotel, food, etc. and a lot of weekends of it! It is not cheap. If the breeder has 1-2 pups per litter to sell and breed a couple times a year, they are easily still in the red. Don't forget vet bills, grooming products, food, handler fees if you aren't showing the dog yourself, who takes care of the dogs while you go to shows? Paid dog sitter or kennel help usually...

$600 or $800 is totally reasonable for a large breed puppy to go for, but $2000 for a toy breed isn't okay? The large breed pup came from a litter of 6 or more whereas the toy breed from a litter of 2-3. 5x$800=$4,000. I don't see the difference.

Just an emergency c-section here would be about $2,000.

For a boxer not including showing fees:
http://www.bellcrestboxers.com/littercost.html

Another nice link on selecting a breeder:
http://www.dog-play.com/breedercomparison.htm
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48909
[/QUOTE]

JMM,

I hope you are not offended. I never said that maltese shouldn't cost that much! Or that showing them is cheap. I definitely think they should that much. An honest, small scale, show breeder cannot possibly be making that much of a profit. I was merely saying that a large scale (maybe out of control breeder) can be making an income.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Apr 4 2005, 08:35 PM
She has a nice building on the property with at least 75 dogs in crates.  She pays hired help $6 an hour to clean the cages.  The dogs never get out of the building.  Even though she has some very nice show dogs, I would never buy from her, nor any of the others because of this.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49077
[/QUOTE]

That is sooooo sad. And I really don't see much of a difference between these breeders and puppy mill type places (even though they do show) because in the process of bettering the breed, those poor dogs are mistreated.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49255
[/QUOTE]

Tonia Holibaugh has started testing her puppies with chem panels and bile acids. You can request it before you buy a puppy. Consumer demand can influence change. She is also doing patellas on her adults as well as starting with eye exams. I applaud her and hope more breeders take those step.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49487
[/QUOTE]

JMM,

Kind of off the topic, but I am just curious, is luxating patella a recessive trait? If so, then testing an adult doesn't help, right? Its only as a result of a cross with another carrier. However, its still great to be testing though.

Of course I had NO idea that what a luxating patella even was when we were looking for a puppy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.