Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey got spayed last wenseday and her sutures were looking great. Well today Bailey managed to take her onesie off while in her kennel. So i checked her and her suture site looked a bit red and irritated so i think she might have licked at them. Here is a picture should i be worried?? She is suppose to get the sutures taken out on monday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So frustrating....surgical site looked good yesterday and today well the pic says it all...

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
So frustrating....surgical site looked good yesterday and today well the pic says it all...
That is EXACTLY what happened to Lucy - don't fret over it - however - she MUST stay away from the site, and it must be kept dry.

JMM should be along to give you *expert* advice, she's a lifesaver.

((Hugs)) she'll be fine.

I should add, the site doesn't look horrible - it does to you - and I understand why - one day it's healing the next - not-so-much. She'll be OK - it'll heal, get some sleep!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If it were me, I would just keep her away from it and make sure it doesn't have any oozing and the red area doesn't increase or get worse. Like Allie, said, no more licking and keep it dry.

If it get's worse, though, I would take her in.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Since she was successful getting her onesie off do you have a cone - not fashionable but effective.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I think I'd be tempted to take her in for a peek...looks maybe a bitty bit infected? When did the vet tell you to take bring her in to get the stitches taken out? Our babies were done on the same day and my vet said 10-14 days and I was going to take Gracie in tomorrow (day 10) to get hers out. They include this as part of the procedure (no extra charge). If your vet said the same, maybe you could take her in and see what he says... ??

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'd be tempted to take her in for a peek...looks maybe a bitty bit infected? When did the vet tell you to take bring her in to get the stitches taken out? Our babies were done on the same day and my vet said 10-14 days and I was going to take Gracie in tomorrow (day 10) to get hers out. They include this as part of the procedure (no extra charge). If your vet said the same, maybe you could take her in and see what he says... ??[/QUOTE

Bailey is scheduled to be taken to the vet on monday for her suture removel...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Maybe you can call them and ask what they think... not to be gross, but is it pus filled (blipped out my other word cuz I guess it looked obscene??) or oozy at all? Or just red?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
"What is "normal" for post-surgical healing?
This varies of course, with the suture materials used, the doctor's technique, and the patient. It is very important to keep your pet from licking and chewing and to keep your pet physically quiet (no vigorous activity) while healing during the 10 - 14 days post surgery time. Any redness, painful swelling, and drainage should be mentioned to your veterinarian right away, especially if your pet is listless and not eating."

Maybe just make a quick phone call in the morning and see what they think...wait til Monday or go in sooner...

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Just make certain that she doesn't lick it anymore. It will look better tomorrow, I'm sure. The redness is from the licking. It doesn't look infected to me -- just irritated.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Awww bless little Bailey and you. Hopefully, it will look less red today. It doesn't hurt to give the vet a quick call, even if it is irritated. Oh these little ones, I know your heart must have dropped when you saw it. Thinking how in the world did she do that, with her onesie on. Hang in there, I am sure she will be okay. Let us know. We all know how you feel, just can't wait for the healing process to be completely over with.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Baileys redness is not nearly as red as yesterday so I am a happy mom today :) Thanks for checking on my Bailey girl

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I knew that she had just irritated it. So glad to hear that it's better. Bailey -- be a good girl and wait until Monday when the stitches come out. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts