Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, not at all...never a peep.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know how common Angus's temperment is among other Malts. He never barks. And I mean never . Ever. Not at other dogs, people, anything. If anything, he loves to see new people -- it's someone new to kiss!

The only time he makes vocal sounds would be if he whines to be let out of his room (with the baby gate) - he stays there when we must go out without him or he'll let out a little growl when I have to take something away, like a stock he's stolen.

What about yours? Do they bark?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
chelsey our maltese does not bark only to be let outside with chester.
but the other day when we took them waking. We past a lady pushing her daughter No barking there. Then my husban desided to go to tim hortons while I waited outside with the puppies. Then teens walked passed me.. and they both went belistick. I just can't figure that out. Chelsey was barking up a storm and it had growling in it too and so was chester.
any Ideas.

Chester our yorkie is a big barking never stops barks for every noise in the home.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oooh yes! Bella just LOVES the sound of her own voice!!

shes never aggressive when she barks, and she doesn't bark when we're out and about in public or anything but she does bark whenever shes really happy or excited. (like when people come to visit or shes playing outside in the garden)

Hate to say it but its a really annoying sound too.

Its more like a super hugh pitched squeak that goes right though you than a proper bark lol
it drives you mad!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Angus@Apr 19 2005, 12:52 PM
I am curious to know how common Angus's temperment is among other Malts. He never barks. And I mean never . Ever. Not at other dogs, people, anything. If anything, he loves to see new people -- it's someone new to kiss!

The only time he makes vocal sounds would be if he whines to be let out of his room (with the baby gate) - he stays there when we must go out without him or he'll let out a little growl when I have to take something away, like a stock he's stolen.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54143
[/QUOTE]

Isn't Angus still a puppy? Neither Kallie nor Catcher barked until they were several months' old. Now they bark if they want my attention. And they sort of bark and squeal at each other when they are playing....

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut didn't bark until he was about 16 weeks old...I thought I got lucky
He 'said' his first word at the vets office and all the tech's and vet's were jumping around because Peanut finally found his voice! It kinda grew into excessive barking after a run in with an unleashed and untrained big dog...
We're working on his fear aggression now...

TicTac (who I am picking up TOMORROW
) already barked when I visited him at the breeder's house. He's 12 weeks this week.

I agree with Bella's Mummy!!!! Peanut's barks can be VERY high pitched and I swear it just zaps your eardrums :eek:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Apr 19 2005, 01:48 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Angus
@Apr 19 2005, 12:52 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54143
Isn't Angus still a puppy? Neither Kallie nor Catcher barked until they were several months' old. Now they bark if they want my attention. And they sort of bark and squeal at each other when they are playing....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54163
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yup! He's still a pup - just under six months old (he's 23 weeks). I have been wondering if he will just start one day, but somehow I don't think so. There's absolutely no inclination to do so. He has no fear and loves new people and things.

But maybe he will? Who knows. It won't matter to me unless it's out of control. I just find it kind of odd that he never makes a peep, that's all, and I was wondering if there are other dogs out there that stayed that way....

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I wasn't even sure Tuffy had a voice until he was about 6 months old! He rarely would bark or growl or vocalize at all. But then I took him to puppy class at Petsmart and he turned on me. He now barks a TON more than before. He is typically quiet when we are just sitting around the house, but he barks like a mad dog whenever he hears someone coming up the stairs or knocking at the door, he is impossible to stop when that happens. He also tends to bark when I'm not home. I got that little Bow-lingual bark translator and it has a home alone option that records how many times they bark and it looks like he's going nuts when I'm not home.. kinda scary! I hope my neighbors aren't ticked off. My little puppy hardly barks at all right now... she will vocalize if Tuffy starts barking, if I look at her funny or if Tuffy and her get too worked up. I think she has the potential to become a very vocal barker so I'm trying to train her now instead of waiting like I did with Tuffy.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Phoebe is just now really starting to find her voice. she is 5 1/2 months old. Its really only when she sees something. like the neighbor's cat or the wild turkeys running over my lawn through the woods. then look out - there is no stopping her
I dont mind that she barks to warn me of anything, I just wish she would stop when she knew I knew what it was she was fussing over

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Paris didn't bark for the longest time. (she is 6 months old yesterday). About the only time she barks now is when she wants someone to play with her. However, she did get mad at me last night because I kept telling her "No bite". I was on the couch (which is really unusual because I usually sit on the floor playing with her) and was trying to pet her. She kept trying to bite me and I kept telling her "no bite". Everytime I told her that she would just go crazy with her barking. I know she was trying to get the last word in because it was a deeper bark than usual and a whole lot more of it. I just laughed at her. Then she went crazy and did her 100 mile dash around the coffee table and JUMPED up on the couch! She had never done THAT before! Once up on the couch she flopped down and acted sooo tired!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Apr 19 2005, 01:54 PM
Paris didn't bark for the longest time.  (she is 6 months old yesterday).  About the only time she barks now is when she wants someone to play with her.  However, she did get mad at me last night because I kept telling her "No bite".  I was on the couch (which is really unusual because I usually sit on the floor playing with her) and was trying to pet her.  She kept trying to bite me and I kept telling her "no bite".  Everytime I told her that she would just go crazy with her barking.  I know she was trying to get the last word in because it was a deeper bark than usual and a whole lot more of it.  I just laughed at her.  Then she went crazy and did her 100 mile dash around the coffee table and JUMPED up on the couch!  She had never done THAT before!  Once up on the couch she flopped down and acted sooo tired!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54188
[/QUOTE]
Aren't they the funniest thing?! Lexi talks back to me also. It is so hard not to laugh. She also does the 100 mile dash (I call it Puppy NASCAR).

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Apr 19 2005, 02:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-paris
@Apr 19 2005, 01:54 PM
Paris didn't bark for the longest time.  (she is 6 months old yesterday).  About the only time she barks now is when she wants someone to play with her.  However, she did get mad at me last night because I kept telling her "No bite".  I was on the couch (which is really unusual because I usually sit on the floor playing with her) and was trying to pet her.  She kept trying to bite me and I kept telling her "no bite".  Everytime I told her that she would just go crazy with her barking.  I know she was trying to get the last word in because it was a deeper bark than usual and a whole lot more of it.   I just laughed at her.  Then she went crazy and did her 100 mile dash around the coffee table and JUMPED up on the couch!  She had never done THAT before!  Once up on the couch she flopped down and acted sooo tired!

Aren't they the funniest thing?! Lexi talks back to me also. It is so hard not to laugh. She also does the 100 mile dash (I call it Puppy NASCAR).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54195
[/B][/QUOTE]
She definitely keeps me laughing. She usually uses me for a ramp when I'm sitting on the floor leaning against the couch. She will come running at me and just run right up my body. Most of the time I've figured out which way to turn my head but once I turned it wrong and she ran right into my check. Ouch, it hurt me so I know it had to have hurt her. A few kisses later she was back to running around.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by paris+Apr 19 2005, 02:11 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 19 2005, 02:02 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-paris
@Apr 19 2005, 01:54 PM
Paris didn't bark for the longest time.  (she is 6 months old yesterday).  About the only time she barks now is when she wants someone to play with her.  However, she did get mad at me last night because I kept telling her "No bite".  I was on the couch (which is really unusual because I usually sit on the floor playing with her) and was trying to pet her.  She kept trying to bite me and I kept telling her "no bite".  Everytime I told her that she would just go crazy with her barking.  I know she was trying to get the last word in because it was a deeper bark than usual and a whole lot more of it.  I just laughed at her.  Then she went crazy and did her 100 mile dash around the coffee table and JUMPED up on the couch!  She had never done THAT before!  Once up on the couch she flopped down and acted sooo tired!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54195

[/QUOTE]
She definitely keeps me laughing. She usually uses me for a ramp when I'm sitting on the floor leaning against the couch. She will come running at me and just run right up my body. Most of the time I've figured out which way to turn my head but once I turned it wrong and she ran right into my check. Ouch, it hurt me so I know it had to have hurt her. A few kisses later she was back to running around.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54199
[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL!! When Lexi and her friend Ellie are playing in my apartment they always make me part of the track. They love to race back and forth across my lap. Doesn't matter where I sit I'm going to be part of the track. At first it is cute and funny but after 20 minutes of them running back and forth across my lap every 30 seconds it gets pretty old.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Mine bark when they hear something outside and when they get excited when playing.If they are barking at something outside when I want them to SHUT UP..I rattle the can
Works for us

Course when Lamby thinks its treat time ,she will go in circles and bark at the treat spot

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I put Barkaholics. It's so annoying! I should have gotten them more socialized.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Apr 19 2005, 02:25 PM
I put Barkaholics.  It's so annoying!  I should have gotten them more socialized.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54233
[/QUOTE]

me too.... -_- I wish Princess is more socialized. I need to let her out more often. I'm just too paranoid that she might get dirty.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by okw+Apr 19 2005, 05:36 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Apr 19 2005, 10:53 AM
TicTac (who I am picking up TOMORROW
) already barked when I visited him at the breeder's house.  He's 12 weeks this week.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54164
Littlepeanut,

I am soooo excited for you! I can't wait to see pics.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54235
[/B][/QUOTE]
Aww! Thanks, don't think I can sleep tonight!! I promise lots of pics for you guys!!! Sorry to interupt the barking post

·
Registered
42 Posts
Palbert barks quite a bit when we're in public. He will not shut up when we're at the park or PetSmart. PLUS, when we're in the car- he'll bark at big semi trucks and anything loud. MOREOVER, when Palbert AND Tuffy are in the car, or together, Tuffy might bark and that sets off Palbert. Which is funny, because Palbert may not even know why Tuffy started to bark at! He just feels he needs to join in. It's quite annoying.

As for leaving him at home, he doesn't much bark when I'm leaving, and when I walk up the stairs to my apartment, I don't hear him from outside. If I'm lucky, he won't even bark when I'm inside the house. So all in all, he's been pretty manageable in the barking aspect.

I was thinking of some kind of bark inhibitor collar, but most say for dogs 6lbs and up. Well Palbert is barely 4 lbs, so I'm not too sure on that. I just don't want to annoy my neighbors and get in trouble with my apartment complex. So far so good.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts