Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My laast toy dog i have was a peke and he went blind when he was like 2 actully he ended up getting glucoma and thats what ended up killing him and i read someplace maltese have proublems with losing their vison and while i really did love my old dog i would prefer not to repeat having to deal with the special care for a blind dog so i was just curious how many people have actully had proublems with this ...any other proublems like that your dog has i would be very intreded in knowing .......the amount of medical proublems that were listed for maltese in a book i read really worryed me and i just want to know how common this stuff is
Thanks so much

·
Registered
42 Posts
Angel will be 4 in January and she hasn't had any problems. Other than runny eyes (no tear ducts) she has been very healthy.

I think pekinese may have more eye problems due to their protruding eyes.

Make sure you find a good breeder. I'm not sure a sweeter breed than the Maltese exists.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Frosty is 12 and has cataracts that have shown up the last couple of years (you see a slight white look to his eyes), but still seems to see just fine. He has lost most of his hearing the last 6 months or so. If he is in the house and we talk loud he does respond. He mostly notices other noises like a door shuting more than voices. We can clap our hands and he will turn toward us. If he is outside in our fenced yard and I call him as loud as I can he doesn't even lift his head. A sharp whistle will get his attention. We have to be careful to make sure he is on a lead anywhere out of the yard. ('course we always did anyway, it is just MORE important now!). Toy dogs live so much longer than bigger dogs, they naturally are going to have these age related things in the last years of their lives.
Dee

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
its crazy, they talk about how dogs get the same diseases like old people. like alzheimers and stuff. (i dont remember what the "stuff" was, sorry). i think they mentioned it in Science Journal. i saw an episode of Emergency vets, and this dog who had cataracts fell from the second floor because it went through the railings of the stairs. something like that.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/store...4457080-7812822

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!! I would proubly wonder if any breed of dog who was 12 years old had no medical issues so that doesnt suprize me that much just wanted to make sure i didnt post this and like 20 people with like 3 year old dogs answer with this type of proublems thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts