Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dixie has a fetish for any kind of bug. her favorites seem to be these really big ants outside in the yard. we try to keep her away from them, but living in Florida that is no small task. I'm afraid she will eat one someday that will make her sick. She is so fast that there is not much we can do to stop her. The upside is that I haven't seen any bugs in our home since she came to live here!
Does any one else have a malt whom loves bugs?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,036 Posts
OMG!!! Gross!!!


Sassy chases the lizard on our back deck but so far has not managed to catch one.


We live on the river in Jacksonville, FL and once Sassy got sick (vomiting) and I had NO idea what was wrong with her. The first thing the vet asked was whether or not she could have possibly eaten one of those big woods roaches that are in the trees outside. YUK! I could say with all honesty...ABSOLUTELY NOT because she doesn't get to walk around outside. Anyway the vet said it wouldn't kill her but could definitely upset the stomach. I guess a bug that size would be an overload with little doggies. This may be TMI (too much information
) but I just wanted to share that it looks like some bugs could make the tummy upset. I would think ants would be pretty clean.....crunchy, but clean.
Do they sting her nose?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
I don't think Caesar has shown much interest in bugs. He does love to chase the little gray squirrels we have around here, and ends up choking himself while trying to go after them since he is on the leash. Also in my Grandma's back yard there are rabbits everyonce in awhile, he loves chasing those (leash free). You can tell he doesn't want to actually get them, because he always leaves the same amount of distance no matter what, but he loves to play chase with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Dolce likes to eat bugs too. She periodically patrols the area by the front door looking for bugs that may come in under the door, and yesterday on her walk she caught a grasshopper. I guess a bug or too wouldn't really hurt her, but it grosses me out, so I take them away if I catch her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Tucker likes to chase moths and I think he tries to eat them...he also loves to chase frogs...I think he has traumatized every frog that has been in our yard. It is so funny, because I've never seen a frog play dead before, but they have actually flipped over on their backs and just layed there real still. Sometimes they just sit still and he will paw at it to try to get it to move..I think one peed on him once because he kept shaking his head and sticking his tongue out...kind of hard to describe, but it was weird...I try to get him to leave the frogs alone because I knew a dog that ate a frog once and he was foaming out of his mouth..yuck!! He was fine though after a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
The other day Tuck was munching on something in the corner. Well it was a tiny gecko. It was so gross. He managed to bust the little thing's gut.
My problem is he wants to kiss after. SICK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Oh yeah...Massimo has a insect fetish also. He's always running circles on the open back porch chasing the flies. When he's out in the front yard, there's a walk way which always seems to have little ant hills built in the cracks.. He digs at them and he goes crazy when they all come out. When I catch him doing that I get the outdoor broom out and sweep them off the path....but the next day, they're back, and Massimo's extatic to see his itty bitty friends again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Scooby loves going out after rain because the worms are out on the cement path and he loves a nice juicy worm to munch on, I guess it is a bit of fresh protien or something. Other than that we don't seem to have a huge amount of bugs available for him to taste.
I would have thought that big ants would sting, puppy would learn a painful lesson from that :eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by TuckersMom@Oct 21 2005, 10:12 AM
Tucker likes to chase moths and I think he tries to eat them...he also loves to chase frogs...I think he has traumatized every frog that has been in our yard.  It is so funny, because I've never seen a frog play dead before, but they have actually flipped over on their backs and just layed there real still.  Sometimes they just sit still and he will paw at it to try to get it to move..I think one peed on him once because he kept shaking his head and sticking his tongue out...kind of hard to describe, but it was weird...I try to get him to leave the frogs alone because I knew a dog that ate a frog once and he was foaming out of his mouth..yuck!!  He was fine though after a while.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111965
[/QUOTE]
Bettter watch those frogs! I don't know where you live, but we have poisonous frogs her. just getting one in the mouth would be enough for our little babys. I don't know the correct spelling but buffo frogs are a big problem here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Fach+Oct 22 2005, 06:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TuckersMom
@Oct 21 2005, 10:12 AM
Tucker likes to chase moths and I think he tries to eat them...he also loves to chase frogs...I think he has traumatized every frog that has been in our yard.  It is so funny, because I've never seen a frog play dead before, but they have actually flipped over on their backs and just layed there real still.  Sometimes they just sit still and he will paw at it to try to get it to move..I think one peed on him once because he kept shaking his head and sticking his tongue out...kind of hard to describe, but it was weird...I try to get him to leave the frogs alone because I knew a dog that ate a frog once and he was foaming out of his mouth..yuck!!  He was fine though after a while.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111965
Bettter watch those frogs! I don't know where you live, but we have poisonous frogs her. just getting one in the mouth would be enough for our little babys. I don't know the correct spelling but buffo frogs are a big problem here.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112341
[/B][/QUOTE]
Glad to hear mine is not the only bug hunter. yes, i too would think the ants woud sting. Guess she eats them too fast. I have to say. it must be true love. I can't tell you the discusting things i have seen this fur kid eat and I STILL let he kiss my face [wheres the green barf smiley when I need it}
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Sir N used to hunt down and destroy mosquitoes. I greatly encouraged that and wish that he would still do that. Tried to get Little C interested in taking over, but she would have nothing to do with it.

Sir N used to have a fascination with ant hills and would shove his nose into them. No more matter how many times he got bitten, he never learned. I've learned to keep an eye out for them and keep him away from them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Fach+Oct 22 2005, 07:44 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2005, 06:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TuckersMom
@Oct 21 2005, 10:12 AM
Tucker likes to chase moths and I think he tries to eat them...he also loves to chase frogs...I think he has traumatized every frog that has been in our yard.  It is so funny, because I've never seen a frog play dead before, but they have actually flipped over on their backs and just layed there real still.  Sometimes they just sit still and he will paw at it to try to get it to move..I think one peed on him once because he kept shaking his head and sticking his tongue out...kind of hard to describe, but it was weird...I try to get him to leave the frogs alone because I knew a dog that ate a frog once and he was foaming out of his mouth..yuck!!  He was fine though after a while.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111965

Bettter watch those frogs! I don't know where you live, but we have poisonous frogs her. just getting one in the mouth would be enough for our little babys. I don't know the correct spelling but buffo frogs are a big problem here.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112341

[/QUOTE]
Glad to hear mine is not the only bug hunter. yes, i too would think the ants woud sting. Guess she eats them too fast. I have to say. it must be true love. I can't tell you the discusting things i have seen this fur kid eat and I STILL let he kiss my face [wheres the green barf smiley when I need it}
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112342
[/B][/QUOTE]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Thankfully Miko doesn't seem interested in bugs. I find that to be surprising since he has eaten his poop on occasion but aparently bugs are just worse in his eyes than poop :new_Eyecrazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by okw@Oct 22 2005, 08:48 PM
Thankfully Miko doesn't seem interested in bugs.  I find that to be surprising since he has eaten his poop on occasion but aparently bugs are just worse in his eyes than poop  :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112391
[/QUOTE]

Bugs worse than poop?


Rex likes fried worms, the kind that are in the driveway after it rains and then the sun comes out. He begs to go outside when he knows they are out there. It is so hard to take him potty as he keeps pulling towards those fried little bits of slime. YUCK!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom+Oct 28 2005, 10:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@Oct 22 2005, 08:48 PM
Thankfully Miko doesn't seem interested in bugs.  I find that to be surprising since he has eaten his poop on occasion but aparently bugs are just worse in his eyes than poop  :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112391
Bugs worse than poop?


Rex likes fried worms, the kind that are in the driveway after it rains and then the sun comes out. He begs to go outside when he knows they are out there. It is so hard to take him potty as he keeps pulling towards those fried little bits of slime. YUCK!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114481
[/B][/QUOTE]

I guess the poop doesn't bite back


Scooby seems to like the worms fresh and uncooked because once they are fried on the path he doesn't touch them at all, just snifs and walks away, but if they are still moving he is onto them real fast
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Oct 29 2005, 07:59 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2005, 10:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@Oct 22 2005, 08:48 PM
Thankfully Miko doesn't seem interested in bugs.  I find that to be surprising since he has eaten his poop on occasion but aparently bugs are just worse in his eyes than poop  :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112391


Bugs worse than poop?


Rex likes fried worms, the kind that are in the driveway after it rains and then the sun comes out. He begs to go outside when he knows they are out there. It is so hard to take him potty as he keeps pulling towards those fried little bits of slime. YUCK!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114481

[/QUOTE]

I guess the poop doesn't bite back


Scooby seems to like the worms fresh and uncooked because once they are fried on the path he doesn't touch them at all, just snifs and walks away, but if they are still moving he is onto them real fast

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114518
[/B][/QUOTE]
eeeewwwwww!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by lacey@Oct 29 2005, 02:28 PM
Daisy likes to chase the flies that are trapped inside. I've never seen her catch or eat one though. I'm just grateful that she doesn't eat poop!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114617
[/QUOTE]
I can understand that :D
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top