Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My malt will go down 2 steps max and also the other way around. She will climb only 2 steps. I went to a friends house the other day and she has a 8 pound yorkie who goes up and down huuuuge flights of stairs....and they were steep too.
I think she is afraid of going up and down steps. How about your malt?

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Archie, Abbey and Tink go up and down any stairs - no problemo - they range from 5 1/2 lbs to 10 lbs.

Ava, on the other hand can go up....but not down. I don't even know how she's goes up - the steps are higher than she is! (3 lbs)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm curious too - my parents have a 5-6lb Yorkie who is now 15.5. From the time she was about 4 months she did stairs. I was in HS when they got her and I remember the first time we got home and couldn't find her - I freaked! Apparently her parents never did stairs and the breeder told my parents that she wouldn't either. We were sure she was stolen - then we heard her whimpering at the top of the stairs! She still does the stairs, but just in the past year she has cut down to 2x/day as opposed to up and down all day!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We live in a 3 storey home and when she even see the stairs and I say"'come on lets go" she starts to go in circles and gets all panicky and Vanilla is 12 pounds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Coco is 4 lbs. and she is constantly up and down the stairs, following me.
Her breeder lived in a ranch house so Coco was not use to stairs when we got her at 5 months old. But after living with us for a few days, she was up and down, up and down all day long. lol

·
Registered
552 Posts
When Dora was a little smaller we let her try doing stairs by herself. Our stairs are wooden and she seemed to be afraid and I was afraid she would slip. So we put a baby gate up, which also let us put the cat's food and litterbox upstairs. She goes up and down a few basement stairs and brick stairs outside, but she's on her leash then so we're right there to grab her. I'd be scared to let her go up and downstairs in the house. It would probably be just fine but this is an easy way to keep her away from the cat's stuff! :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Micky can do them, but I don't let him. He has a death wish and jumps off the 3rd step from the bottom all the way to the floor if I let him go down them. So we gate the stairs off. He is 10 pounds.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Hunter can go down the stairs IF they are carpeted or if there are just a few. He can get up smaller sets of stairs such as deck stairs or 3-4 carpeted steps but that's about it. He looses too much momentum (sp) 1/2 way up and we worry about him falling. Our stairs are finished wood so he is not allowed up or down them and there is a door to close them off from him.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Lilly goes up and down the front step outside our front door but the rise is only 6 in. (shorter than standard). Inside is a different story she started going up but not down then a couple of weeks ago she stop going up inside. I don't spend a lot of time on it since there is talk about there knees not being the strongest part of them.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
the two malts of mine go up and down the stair... monster snowy skips the last 2 steps by flying to the ground (jumping high to the ground) He prefers to save time; jumps happily. I have no idea on how to teach him to stop doing that because it scares me-I worry that he might get hurt.

Kat

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yeager loves hopping up and down the stairs! He thinks it's great exercise haha

·
Banned
242 Posts
Halle is 4 1/2 months old now and wont go up or down any steps , even the the 3 steppers for the sofa and bed. Tessa and yorkies I had in the past all went up and down steps. Is it a Malt thing? I will place Halle on the 1 st step to the sofa and she hops right off.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Berns took a long time to figure out steps, she looks so cute going up and down them cause she's so small. I like to think of the sound as "bop bop bop bop". Anyway, I'd be patient, sometimes it's hard for little dogs to handle stairs... I've definitely noticed that over the years with friends' pups too.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Both of mine do our stairs which are carpeted. Didn't have to teach them, just came naturally I guess.

Sophie is a big girl, but does them quite well at a decent pace. Annie, who is 5 lbs, flies up them pretty quickly, but sometimes stumbles up a step or two as they are about as tall as she is.

It's when she goes down that makes my hair stand on end - she goes so fast I can't even see her feet hit the ground and I swear she only uses one of her back legs - I think she thinks it makes her go even faster. Thank God we don't have a long banister or I do believe she find a way up there and just slide all the way down! lol

Linda

·
Registered
842 Posts
Andy was 12lbs and could NOT do the stairs. The cat lived upstairs when we got him, so we never encouraged him to learn. So he just lived downstairs. As he got older though and it stormed and no one was home, we'd come home to find him halfway up the steps :HistericalSmiley: Poor guy...

Our steps are hardwood with rubber liners down the middle, and they are dark, and very slippery. So I was glad he didn't go up them regularly.

Nelson however came to our house already knowing steps, musta learned at his breeders house. We then had a baracade to keep him from going up. Our cat now too has all his stuff upstairs, and needs peace and quiet. So he have something low enough the cat can get over but not Nelson. It is annoying to have to walk up and and down over it, but otherwise Nelson FLIES up the steps. And he is 7lbs. He is much more agile too than Andy was. He actually jumps around like he is Jack Russel or something, he boings up and down :HistericalSmiley: So I dunno if that has anyting to do with it or not? Andy was very sturdy and not as flexible in that way.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i got alice today and she went up the stairs for the first time :) a little unsuccessful coming down, but she did it all on her own <3

·
Registered
847 Posts
Leila loves dashing UP stairs. I think she tries to race me up..hopping like a bunny from stair to stair. She will absolutely not go down any stairs, though. It has taken us 2-3 months to get her to the point where she'll step off a curb or any raised surface (even 2-3 inches). She will do close to anything to get to me, but when I walk down the stairs to get something (and leave her upstairs), she will sit at the top crying and eventually barking so she can make sure I know I forgot about her LOL..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sasha is 11 months old and 4.5 lbs and she won't go up or down stairs.
I always thought because they were bigger then her.
She will go up and down wide stairs that are shallow.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts