Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find it but I wrote here about Zoey and I being attacked in Petsmart last May. They sent me to their dr. to get bandaged because I was bleeding all over the place. They said Zoey was not hurt so I spent $312 taking her to an emergency vet to make sure. I wasn't taking their word for anything. They let the people with the wild dog leave after giving them a false name, address and phone number. Nobody thought to ask for ID or to call police, which is what I was told they should have done, to keep the people there. The animal control people never found them.

Well, last Fri. I got a letter from Petsmart saying they determined that I must pay the bill for my medical treatment (over $300). They had told me I HAD to go to their dr. for insurance purposes. I could have gone to mine for a $5 deductable.

Anyway, this has brought all the nightmares back.
Ann

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by a2z@Oct 11 2005, 09:47 AM
I can't find it but I wrote here about Zoey and I being attacked in Petsmart last May. They sent me to their dr. to get bandaged because I was bleeding all over the place. They said Zoey was not hurt so I spent $312 taking her to an emergency vet to make sure. I wasn't taking their word for anything. They let the people with the wild dog leave after giving them a false name, address and phone number. Nobody thought to ask for ID or to call police, which is what I was told they should have done, to keep the people there. The animal control people never found them.

Well, last Fri. I got a letter from Petsmart saying they determined that I must pay the bill for my medical treatment (over $300).  They had told me I HAD to go to their dr. for insurance purposes. I could have gone to mine for a $5 deductable.

Anyway, this has brought all the nightmares back.
Ann
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108374
[/QUOTE]
Are they freaking nuts?!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I would say that anything that takes place in their store is their responsibility and in actual fact I would be seeking legal advice and perhaps sending them a letter from your lawyer stating that the way in which they handled the situation is most unprofessional and that if they wish to continue with their seeking repayment for the medical fees that you in fact will be seeking advice on taking it further.
I mean they should have kept that person on site till the police arrived for sure and of course because they can't find them they are trying to get the money from you the innocent victim. Personally I don't think they can do that, perhaps there is someone here who can tell you what to do.
Another thing too is surely they would be covered by insurance if they have it, and if not then they should insist that all dogs in the store be restrained so that there are no incidents like what you went through.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You definately need to speak to a lawyer. They are crazy! I can't believe people who can't control their dogs still take them to places like this. I was at Petco once with a couple with 2 big dogs who were not friendly at all, and the woman was saying she wanted to leave and the husband was laughing it off while they were pulling at her growling and making a huge fuss. She obviously had a hard time controlling them and I didnt doubt they were going to be loose eventually. I was out of there fast.

People have no business bringing dogs which they know cannot be trusted or controlled into these places. Very scary!

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
It might be time for you to consult with an attorney.....

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I would definitely consult with an attorney. Not only should they cover your medical expenses, they should also cover your dog's visit to the vet. If you haven't already done so, go to your local police department and file a report of a viscious dog attack. Next, do a bit of research and find out what the store policy is when such an attack occurs. If the employees didn't follow their stated policy, then you have another claim. I would also suggest that you contact your state Department of Health; State Department of Commerce; and the Attorney General.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
they are crazy and lucky you did not press charges against them... call an attorney, you should not have to pay a thing. I would call the local news too

G

·
That's crazy!!
They should be paying your bills as well as Zoey's and if you have to consult with a lawyer then they should have to pay that bill as well. They are acting very unprofessionally. So sorry this happened to you.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Uhh, well, I think you may be able to sue them since it happened in their store. Isn't that right?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
An attorney may cost more than the 312 dollars, but it is the principal of the thing.
Perhaps you can talk with one for some free counsel (have any lawyer friends?) and then scare Petsmart into thinking you know what you are talking about.
They may back off, they may not.
Taking it farther than that may cost you more in the long run...

The media idea is good.
We always have that news man who is trying to dig up the "dirt" story...
That might be a good route to take...
Negative publicity will do them no good...

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
I agree with the others, call an attorney.

You were bitten in their store, and then went to the doctor of THEIR chosing, now they want you to pay the bill. THEY ARE OUT OF THEIR MIND.

·
Registered
363 Posts
A personal injury lawyer will (in most states) take your case on without chrge. In pennsylvania, they only get money if you get money. Then they take a certain percentage. Most lawyers will give a free consultation, then you can find out if you even have a case. I am guessing that a lawyer would jump at suing a big name like Petsmart. Give it a shot, you have nothing to loose.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
The more I think about this the more I feel that store has a lot to answer for.
I would say that once you step into that store your safety is their responsiblity. They should be monitoring all pet owners to make sure that the pets are under full control of their owners. If they fail to provide a safe environment for you in their store then they are liable for the consequences.
My feeling is that they are bluffing and trying to avoid an insurance claim. If it were me I would be seeking legal advice to see if I could actually sue that company or store for failure to provide a safe place for you to be in whilst in their store. I would also be looking for compensation for the injuries incurred at the time etc.
If you presented them with a counter lawsuit I am sure they would backpeddle immediately, but the thing is you were injured and did suffer from the incident and they did fail to take the appropriate action to prevent the dog owners from leaving before the police arrived, so therefore the onus is on them to provide all medical ississtance necessary to you.

Just my opinion, I will say that my mother was injured in a store in Australia once. She ripped her leg on the corner of a book shelf. She ended up having to have skin grafts and had a dreadful scar on her lower leg for the rest of her life.
It turned out that her attorney found that the store was responsible for not providing ample space between book shelves for people to move freely between without the possiblity of injury. My mother's medical bills were huge and the store responsible had to pay all of them and for any future medical follow up treatments necessary, plus they also had to compensate her for pain and suffering and scarring. Let me tell you she recieved a substantial amount over and above the cost of her medical costs and legal fees.
Something for you to think about Ann if they try to push this matter further.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I am so sorry for what you have went through. I dont take Rex in to Petsmart to shop anymore, we just go in to the groomers and into the vet and I carry him at that point. The past couple times I have been in there to shop by myself, there have been crazy dogs trying to get off their leashes. I have seen a few large dogs bigger than me that the owners can barely control and honestly that scares me that people cant control their dogs. Maybe they should rethink allowing pets to shop around in the store!
Good luck getting everything straightened out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.