Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any of you guys sneak you babies in stores in their carriers. Everytime I go somewhere I want to take Kylee with me but my carrier is waaay too obvious and screams "Hey, kick me out, I have a dog in the store". I was wondering what carriers you guys are using to sneak your babies around. I've been looking around and most of the ones I find have mesh everywhere. I need one so that she can be a secret. I dont plan on sneaking her into food stores or resturants or anything but like, Lowes or Staples or somewhere like that. thanks, Lori

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Aug 17 2005, 06:54 PM
I was just wondering if any of you guys sneak you babies in stores in their carriers.  Everytime I go somewhere I want to take Kylee with me but my carrier is waaay too obvious and screams "Hey, kick me out, I have a dog in the store".  I was wondering what carriers you guys are using to sneak your babies around.  I've been looking around and most of the ones I find have mesh everywhere.  I need one so that she can be a secret.  I dont plan on sneaking her into food stores or resturants or anything but like, Lowes or Staples or somewhere like that.  thanks, Lori
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91602
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I have been searching for one like that too!!!! There is one at pet edge though that somebody I met sneaks her dog into the market with!!! She puts a scarf over it and you cant even tell that its a carrier. :lol:

Heres the link

Pet Carrier

..and here's a pic of it

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Aug 17 2005, 06:04 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-NewMom328
@Aug 17 2005, 06:54 PM
I was just wondering if any of you guys sneak you babies in stores in their carriers.  Everytime I go somewhere I want to take Kylee with me but my carrier is waaay too obvious and screams "Hey, kick me out, I have a dog in the store".  I was wondering what carriers you guys are using to sneak your babies around.  I've been looking around and most of the ones I find have mesh everywhere.  I need one so that she can be a secret.  I dont plan on sneaking her into food stores or resturants or anything but like, Lowes or Staples or somewhere like that.  thanks, Lori
Yes, I have been searching for one like that too!!!! There is one at pet edge though that somebody I met sneaks her dog into the market with!!! She puts a scarf over it and you cant even tell that its a carrier. :lol:

Heres the link

Pet Carrier

..and here's a pic of it

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91607
[/B][/QUOTE]
Cute! My only concern would be it might not have enough venilation to use during the summer. It could get pretty warm in it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Aug 17 2005, 06:54 PM
[/QUOTE]

You may not need to worry at Lowe's. It was either in Lowe's or Home Depot that I saw all sorts of dogs.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Are you sure you have to "sneak" her? I have found that as long as I keep Ty in my arms at all time stores like Lowes and Staples are really good about letting me bring him in. I have even made quick trips into the grocery store and the drug store with him. If I see a "manager" or someone important I just smile nicely and say, I really can't leave him in the car. No one has ever asked me to leave, they are usually distracted cause he's so darn cute!!

I don't ever try to take him into restaurants though, state laws differ but in my state the restaurant owner could be fined by the board of health and it wouldn't be fair of me to put him in that position.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I do it all the time. I snuck tucker into the RiverWalk( that's our big mall in New Orleans) His little head kept poking out. Everyone loved it! He got so many compliments, cause hesuch a cutie!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 17 2005, 09:17 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 06:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-NewMom328
@Aug 17 2005, 06:54 PM

Heres the link

Pet Carrier

..and here's a pic of it

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91607

[/QUOTE]
Cute! My only concern would be it might not have enough venilation to use during the summer. It could get pretty warm in it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91638
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, it does look pretty hot in there, but there are pretty big holes on the other side, but you still cant see anything.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am not getting into yet another argument about it....but we sneak Miko everywhere (including restaurants -- sorry for those that don't approve). Our juicy carrier is great for that...looks like a big purse!! Miko stays quiet and enjoys his adventures!!! If he wasn't enjoying it, he would certainly bark or cry as he does during bath times, grooming or other unpleasant events he does not enjoy!!

PS. I have the large version of the juicy bag so there is plenty of room for our little baby in there.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really need to try to just take her in her carrier i have now...head poking out and everything....I'm just so nervous. I guess I just need to take the plunge. I'm sure once I get her through one place I will build up courage for the other places. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I can tell you for sure that The Home Depot and Lowes allow pets that are on a leash or contained.

As far as Restaurants you SHOULD NEVER take a pet in a health food establishment unless the dog is a Seeing Eye dog. Please don't cause a problem with the management of the restaurant by doing so. Rules are rules and it's only fair to abide by them. It would only embarrass you and others in your party.

We all have rules in our homes and we don't like company breaking those rules.

I run a lot of errands on my day off and want so badly to take Tucker with me but I know it's not fair for me to sneek my baby in the stores when a it's not allowed. Imagine a Great Dane in a woman's purse?

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I imagine okw is referring to a very heated discussion which ensued on another maltese site regarding this very subject. But since this is a much kinder gentler site, and we respect each other far too much to stoop to that level I'm sure we will respect the right we each have to our own opinion and stick to the subject at hand, carriers........

I have a soft sided carrier with lots of mesh as well as one of the "pleathor" carriers" a bit like the one shown. I think the stiffer carrier is too hot in the summer and have been using the softer one but must admit that Ty is a nosey rosey and likes to stick his head out to see and be seen. But since I don't take him anywhere he isn't welcome and don't sneak him in anywhere that isn't a problem. I have a feeling I may have wasted my money on the stiffer one because I don't think he will like it even when the weather gets cooler.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I love the Celltei carriers--lots and lots of ventilation, really well made. I got two really cheap off of e-bay. Used, but both looked brand new. They look like regular bags, and the mesh is hard to see through, and has a pocket you can stick an ice pack in to keep the pup cool. Even has room for a water bottle, though I have never tried that. I plan on buying a third one (new) as soon as the new designs are out.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Celltie is having a sale on their seconds, last year's style, prototypes, etc.

http://www.celltei.com/onsaleitems.html

The big drawback for me is the weight of their bags. Lady is 9 pounds and most of their regular bags are over 4 pounds. That's a lot of weight to lug around! Even their new lite bags are still close to or over 2 pounds.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have taken my dog into many restaurants will full knowledge that she's in her bag. I always ask if it is ok. I don't do it too often, and mostly at lunch. I would never bring her in if I was told not to. We do have a bunch of outdoor places that allow all size dogs, not just teeny ones like malts and chis. I am sure if you check with the establishment ahead of time, you should be fine. I take my pup into the mall whenever I go and she's great in her Juicy bag. They love us in Nordies and Lord and Taylor. Also, check with your town or county department of health. They will tell you if animals are allowed or not as a matter of code. Some places have a no animals policy, while others do not.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Aug 18 2005, 12:24 PM
Celltie is having a sale on their seconds, last year's style, prototypes, etc.

http://www.celltei.com/onsaleitems.html

The big drawback for me is the weight of their bags. Lady is 9 pounds and most of their regular bags are over 4 pounds. That's a lot of weight to lug around! Even their new lite bags are still close to or over 2 pounds.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91775
[/QUOTE]

If you are not looking for one that is "fashion forward" but just a very lightweight practical carrier, you might try the Sturdibag. I've had one for a long time and I love it. It is extremely light weight and for a larger Malt there is a ton of room in the large size. It is just a great bag. It weighs 2.2 pounds and comes in a zillion color choices.

http://www.sturdiproducts.com/new/petcarriers/Large.asp

They have re-done their site and frankly, it is awful and doesn't show the product as well as it used to. They do have a 3D viewer that is helpful. Click on 3D at the top of the web page or use this link: http://www.sturdiproducts.com/new/3D/3D.htm

I have several bags but this one is the most practical and the one I use the most.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
This is a little bit off the topic...but I was just remembering the oddest place we took Miko to -- which was my husband's graduation from CalTech in june. Yes, Miko was welcomed (he jumped out of the bag) and everyone oooh and aaaah over him. When it was my husband turn to march, I came up close to the stage so we could videotape him and a reporter for the school newspaper noticed us and decided to write a little story about us!! The cutest thing was that Miko got to watch his daddy go up to get his PhD and didn't even bark once in a huge, kind of loud, crowd
!!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
No help here, but I wanted to offer that I got a carrier from Target. It is the cutest, hot pink with plenty of room for Frosty. BUT, she HATES it! I don't like it now cuz the head opening will not close securely and Frosty tries to climb out of the carrier, even while I am carrying her in it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Has anybody mentioned the in-dog-neeto bag yet? Zoey opens zippers so she won't stay in a regular bag. This bag has a locking drawstring at the top. It is not a beautiful or elegant looking bag, but it works for us!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by a2z@Aug 19 2005, 10:19 AM
Has anybody mentioned the in-dog-neeto bag yet? Zoey opens zippers so she won't stay in a regular bag. This bag has a locking drawstring at the top. It is not a beautiful or elegant looking bag, but it works for us!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=92264
[/QUOTE]
Just wanted to let you know that the Celltei bags all have locking zippers. The only way to open them is from the outside. Even if you leave the zipper open a little bit she won't be able to slide it open from the inside.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts