Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking... I made Kodie a doctors appointment this sat at a rather LARGE hospital in northern NJ. I was wondering if I should be concerned about taking him if there is a chance he could catch the dog flu? Any thoughts on this??? Do you think its rude to ask the vet to wash their hands and stuff before they touch your dog? Should i ask the vet if she has seen any patients with the dog flu? I'm kinda nervous now... what should i do?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Kodie is so small that I too would be worried...who am I kidding, Teddy is 6.5 lbs and I would be worried. It never hurts to ask the doctor...call and see what they say, and if they don't understand then do you really want to go there any way.

Good Luck

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Did you see the news article on Dateline or one of those shows a few months ago about doctors and hand washing? They installed hidden cameras in doctor's offices and it was amazing how many just went from patient to patient without washing their hands or using hand sanitizer! I would assume that vets are just as guilty.

This is a new vet for Kodie, right? So you don't know how the office operates. I know my vet shows Lady and I to a room almost immediately. They never leave patients to sit and wait in the waiting room as some vets do.

I also never put Lady down until I get to the room. She gets carried in and stays in my arms until then. I would never ever allow her to walk on the floor.

Being older, Kodie probably is better able to resist germs. I would be very paranoid with a puppy, though.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have gone to this hospital before... they used to be in another building.. but they built a brand new building now... and kodie's doc is no longer there... so this is a new doc... but i've been a patient of the hospital before.

I always hold kodie! always! I dont even put him on the floor in the room floor...haha... kodie wont be sit on the exam table! They usually always have to bring in a towel for him to sit on... he isnt a fan of those slippery surfaces.
I never really had to wait too long in the waiting room the last time I was there... which was over 1yr ago... they run pretty smoothly because they have soo much staff. I'm just concerned because its airborn and i dont think vets wash their hands! Plus vet sometimes have to hold the animal down sooo they have all the animals germs on their coats! GRR... now i'm being a germ FREAK!
Should i be so concerned?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have gone to this hospital before... they used to be in another building.. but they built a brand new building now... and kodie's doc is no longer there... so this is a new doc... but i've been a patient of the hospital before.

I always hold kodie! always! I dont even put him on the floor in the room floor...haha... kodie wont be sit on the exam table! They usually always have to bring in a towel for him to sit on... he isnt a fan of those slippery surfaces.
I never really had to wait too long in the waiting room the last time I was there... which was over 1yr ago... they run pretty smoothly because they have soo much staff. I'm just concerned because its airborn and i dont think vets wash their hands! Plus vet sometimes have to hold the animal down sooo they have all the animals germs on their coats! GRR... now i'm being a germ FREAK!
Should i be so concerned?[/B]
Kodie's Mom...I would bring in your own towel, just so that you will have your mind at ease. I agree that you can never be too cautious. I always felt that my babies (human) needed more than a thin sheet of paper when they were on the scale. RBVH is also my vet and they are very clean and always cleaning the facility. The hospital is large, however, I have never had to wait very long for the doctor. The only exception was when an emergency came in and everyone waited. They are very nice about not keeping you waiting. The hospital is designed in a circular floor plan with the exam rooms on the outer rim of the circle. There are waiting benches in the middle and a large fish tank w/ coral reef in the middle surrounded by the support staff. It is so much larger than their previous facility. I am sure that Kodie will be fine. But do mention your concerns when you check in. The vet techs and aides are all wonderful. Can you tell I like my vet? We have an appointment next week for Valletta's annual check up.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I was just thinking... I made Kodie a doctors appointment this sat at a rather LARGE hospital in northern NJ. I was wondering if I should be concerned about taking him if there is a chance he could catch the dog flu? Any thoughts on this??? Do you think its rude to ask the vet to wash their hands and stuff before they touch your dog? Should i ask the vet if she has seen any patients with the dog flu? I'm kinda nervous now... what should i do?
[/B]
Bring him in in a crate if you want to be cautious. Canine influenza is not so different from what most dogs will go through with kennel cough. Only a small percentage of dogs will die from complications if not treated promptly (probably from pneumonia).

·
Registered
802 Posts
Keep him in your jacket and bring a can of lysol, spray as you go....that would be funny. Don't either one of you go near any other animals.

Spray the exam room/table before you put hiim down. I think that would be a reasonable request.

Actually, you gave me a good idea...I will probably bring my own wipes when I go. I am sure they will understand...better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Should i be so concerned?[/B]
Kodie's Mom...I would bring in your own towel, just so that you will have your mind at ease. I agree that you can never be too cautious. I always felt that my babies (human) needed more than a thin sheet of paper when they were on the scale. RBVH is also my vet and they are very clean and always cleaning the facility. The hospital is large, however, I have never had to wait very long for the doctor. The only exception was when an emergency came in and everyone waited. They are very nice about not keeping you waiting. The hospital is designed in a circular floor plan with the exam rooms on the outer rim of the circle. There are waiting benches in the middle and a large fish tank w/ coral reef in the middle surrounded by the support staff. It is so much larger than their previous facility. I am sure that Kodie will be fine. But do mention your concerns when you check in. The vet techs and aides are all wonderful. Can you tell I like my vet? We have an appointment next week for Valletta's annual check up.
[/B]
whos your doc?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would also bring a pump container with that hand sanitizer that doesn't need water. Just ask your vet to use it before he touches Kodie. We watched a news report on human dr.s not washing their hands and a high number of patients dieing of staff infections. This one hospital started putting those hand sanitizers outside each exam room and using it before they went into the room (and teaching their workers how to wash their hands) and the percentage of staff infections dropped. I forget the number they started with but after they started washing their hands the number dropped to just one death from staff infection. That's awesome. So at the end of the report they said to bring your own sanitizer bottle with you and have the Dr use it before he touches you. They said it's ok to ask because it's YOUR life at risk. So I think it's ok for you to ask because it's your babies life at risk. Don't feel bad for asking tons of questions. Call ahead of time and tell them you are concerned about the dog flu and you want to know if they have seen any patients with it. Also when they put you in the exam room ask them to disinfect the table (so you can see them) and then put your own towel down and put Kodie on it. Keep him in a carrier or a crate before you get to the exam room. He should be fine if you do all these things.

*oh and I think the dog flu has only gotten to North Jersey so you might be safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.