Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

What brand of dog food do you feed your Maltese?

• Beowulf Back to Basics Dog Food

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bil-Jac

• California Natural

• Canidae® All Life Stages

• Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul

• Eagle Pack

• Eukanuba

• Evolve

• Flint River Ranch

• Iams

• Innova

• Nutro

• Pedigree

• Pro Plan

• Purina

• Royal Canin

• Science Diet

• Solid Gold

• Wellness

• Other

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on Shelia's recommendation, I have created a poll for the brand of dog food we are feeding our babies. We are limited to 20 answers so I had to choose the most popular foods based on my knowledge.

Here is my original list:
Alpo
ANF
Artemis
Authority
Azmira
Beneful
Beowulf Back to Basics Dog Food
Bil-Jac
Blackwood Company Dog Food
Breeder's Choice
California Natural
Canidae® All Life Stages
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
Diamond Pet Foods
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance
Eagle Pack
Eukanuba
Evolve
Flint River Ranch
HealthWise
Holistic Blend
Iams
Innova
Innova EVO Dog Food
Merrick
Nature's Recipe
Nutro
Nutro Ultra
Pedigree
Pinnacle
Precise
Pro Plan
Purina
Purina Puppy Chow
Royal Canin
Science Diet
Solid Gold
Trader Joe's Kibble Dog Food
Wellness
BARF Diet
Other

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm glad you started this poll Charmypoo. I have been feeding my dogs Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. They really love it. I'm a little worried over my little Brie though. She has been eating this as well as my two year olds. I have been reading that she should be eating puppy food because of the higher protien and fat content because she is growing so fast. None of my dogs can eat anything with corn in it, they scratch from it. Can anyone suggest a good puppy food that does not contain corn or corn meal in it?

I have always fed my dogs "All Stages" food and they are very healthy, but Brie is way more active trying to keep up with the older dogs, so I want to make sure she is getting the proper nutrients. She is 14 wks and weighs 3.2 lbs. What do you feed your babies Charmypoo? They are just beautiful, and very small. I'd love some help with this
Thanks

Pat

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Newman's Own Organics Adult kibble for Kallie.

Royal Canin Small Breed puppy kibble for Catcher.... He'll be switched to Newman's when he is ready for adult food.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Pat,
I feed Royal Canin Yorkshire 28. I have gone through a lot of foods. I started out with Eukanuba then moved to other brands such as Solid Gold, Wellness, Innova, Natural Balance, Nutro and Perscription Diet (by Science Diet). I have also tried a bunch of different mixtures. At the end, I stuck with Royal canin Yorkshire because it suits all my 4 kids. They all love it and the pieces are so tiny that they all do well. I have also noticed it helped with coat growth.

My kids would not eat Solid Gold at all. With Wellness, they loved it for a few months and then all turned their nose to it. I am not sure if that last bag was bad or they just didn't like it anymore. Innova made their poo really soft and stinky. I did like Natural Balance - I am not sure why I stopped but I was buying so many different foods at that point and wanted to stick with one. I mixed the Natural Balance with Royal Canin. I was feeding Perscription Diet because I wanted to fatten up Nibbler and Sparkle but now they are at a good size and I stopped.

I try to feed my kids high quality food. It is a little pet peeve of mine when owners try to "cheap out" on foods. I know a few that insists on feeding Iams when it is absolutely crap (as indicated by the other thread). Some of my friends feed Iams because it is cheap but honestly...our kids eat so little...what is a few more bucks a month.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I cook for Alex and he eats what we are eating. And I have to share my cookies with him. He does not like anything raw. Everything has to be cooked.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Well, after tons of trial and error with foods, I let Tuffy decide what he liked best and his taste test decided that he liked Flint River Ranch Lamb & Millet dog food the best. So that's our pick for now!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
CHARMYPOO,thank you so much for doing this.It is excatualy what i thought would make it easier for everyone concerened about their furbabies diets.We all just wnat to do our best for them. GREAT JOB!!!!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Jan 1 2005, 07:58 PM
Now, I wish I didn't take out Natural Balance!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26792
[/QUOTE]
CharmyPoo, thanks for your reply, I will look today to see what quality puppy foods I can find. I shop at Ryans and they carry all of the better quality brands. I am totally satisfied with Natural Balance for my older two, but I think Brie should be on a puppy food. I'll let you know what I end up with.

Pat

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 2 2005, 10:16 AM
Hill's l/d .... the can and dry, I mix them.  also sometimes brocoili mixed in.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26881
[/QUOTE]

I feed all of mine chicken soup for the pet lovers soul and after looking at MANY natural dog foods I love the ingredients however wouldnt mind trying a new food just to how they would react. I have been looking at some sites and nobody offers samples! I know a while ago royal canin did and we tried it and mine didnt like it...does anyone else know of any companies that offer a sample? I really am not looking to change food, just interested if they would "go for" another food if I layed it next to their chicken soup...if anyone knows of samples then let me know
thanks

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by BrookeB676@Jan 2 2005, 01:59 PM
I feed all of mine chicken soup for the pet lovers soul and after looking at MANY natural dog foods I love the ingredients however wouldnt mind trying a new food just to how they would react. I have been looking at some sites and nobody offers samples! I know a while ago royal canin did and we tried it and mine didnt like it...does anyone else know of any companies that offer a sample? I really am not looking to change food, just interested if they would "go for" another food if I layed it next to their chicken soup...if anyone knows of samples then let me know
thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26907
[/QUOTE]
Flint River Ranch offers samples of all their dog food plus some of their treats for a small cost. Here's a link to the cheapest of the places offering samples. Flint River Samples

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
All three of mine are on a homecooked diet.....look at my Dogster page of sprite and you'll see that her tearstaining is almost all gone.
they actually seem healthier

protein: chicken, steak, lobster, shrimp, fish, tuna, ham, turkey, pork (they only get pork once every 3 months), egg, cottage cheese, lamb

carbs: potato, rice, brown rice, pasta, bread

veggies and fruit: anything except: broccoli, apple SEEDS, grapes, raisins

and we put seasoning on their meat when we cook it....no--garlic or onions.

this morning the dogs has lasagna. sprite LOVED it.

ask MEE---she saw sprites eyes and gruffis coat---sprites tearstains is gone(her hair is growing out, and you can see pink on the ends) and gruffis coat looks really shiny.

we also add bonemeal and flaxseed oil to their food.

***i also wanted to add that NONE of my dogs have that dog smell. when gruffi gets wet (like from the rain)...he just smells like his shampoo.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts