Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m asking for recommendations for a low protein kibble for Dewey.He’s on a prescription food with low protein.He has MVD and can’t tolerate the higher protein. The food he has now has chicken in it and all he does is lick his paws and back of his front leg.Ive taken him to vet twice,they gave an allergy medicine but he still licked. The second visit he got a shot and meds.He still licks.
I think it’s the food.

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
I don't know about kibble but I had Riley on The Honest Kitchen Keen which is lower on protein. They changed the name to Grain Free Turkey recipe. It's dehydrated and you mix with hot water. Riley has MVD. It's so hard to find lower protein foods. As rampant as MVD is you would think a company would make a food for it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Are you vaccinating him yearly? Vaccines can cause allergic reactions too. We highly recommend yearly titers over vaccinations.

·
Premium Member
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of my dogs are get a titer .I believe it’s the food .When his environmental allergies act up it’s usually shows up as conjunctivitis or ear infection.

·
Premium Member
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about kibble but I had Riley on The Honest Kitchen Keen which is lower on protein. They changed the name to Grain Free Turkey recipe. It's dehydrated and you mix with hot water. Riley has MVD. It's so hard to find lower protein foods. As rampant as MVD is you would think a company would make a food for it.
I agree Sherry.Dewey wasn’t actually prescribed the low protein food from the vet,Violet was.My vet said that I could try it on Dewey because of the low protein.He likes it and except for the lick lick licking. He did well on it for over a year.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Chrissy is on Solid Gold Holistique Blendz which is low in protein. She does very well on it and it contains no Chicken. Not sure whether or not you want to give it a try or not, but we have been very satisfied with how well she has been doing.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Tessa has problems with both protein and fat content so I use Honest Kitchen base mix and add my own boiled turkey or fish. I would use chicken but that causes problems for her so we don't do that. Dr. Harvey's also has several base mixes that you add your own protein and fat to, which might allow you to control the level of protein as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While searching for Low protein food ! make sure that the food is also low in fat ! this way you can avoid future problems of pancreatitis, however, I would suggest looking for a Hypoallergenic dog food ! in order to avoid allergies and sensitives skin issues

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I have been feeding Chrissy Solid Gold Blendz for a number of years since she has Pancreatitis. She has been doing very well and has had not issues. This food is low in fat as well as protein.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts