Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of dog food would you guys recomend for a 1 year old maltese?
I want to make sure she is getting all the nutrients that a young dog needs. Right now we are using Pedigree for young dogs. Is this a good brand?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
if i recall, i had switched the buttercup to nature's recipe for toy breeds when she turned one. she's since been on about a hundred different foods, but i remember the small kibble in that (tiny tiny!!! i call it her "bunny pellet food" LOLOLOL) was very easy for her to chomp chomp chomp and she tends to eat ALL her food when it's small like that. now that we're able to find it again, we mix that with chicken soup for the dog lover's soul. she digs it.

i'm never much help, i know.

ann marie and the "no she isnt but she DID help me lose weight!" buttercup

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
K & C eat Newman's Own and they are berserk over it and "knock on wood" they have had no health issues at all (Kallie is 3; Catcher is 1). Their stools are always nice and firm (important when they "go" on potty pads in the house"). I am very pleased with this food and the profits go to charity.... can't beat that!!

Newman's Own Organics Web Site

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Sep 15 2005, 09:58 PM
K & C eat Newman's Own and they are berserk over it and "knock on wood" they have had no health issues at all (Kallie is 3; Catcher is 1). Their stools are always nice and firm (important when they "go" on potty pads in the house"). I am very pleased with this food and the profits go to charity.... can't beat that!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100087
[/QUOTE]

This is off topic, I love your new SIG

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
We also feed chester and chelsey Newman's.
Kallie/Catcher's Mom suggested to me and it is really good. Chester loves it and he is very picky with his food Chelsey loves it too.
To night I actually mixed the kibble with a 1/4 Maverick can food and they went nuts.
They loved it.

It's great that they donate the profits... I was not aware of that.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I feed a mixture of O&M, Natural Balance, Newman's Organic, IVD Dental Formula and Greenie Lil' Bits. I am very happy with all the variety and the dogs seem to be as well. Let me also mention that the initial cost of the food may be expensive, but it is actually cheaper in the long run because you feed less quality food to your dog, therefore it lasts much longer. I feed a mixture hoping that if one food is lacking in something, one of the other foods will provide it.

In addition, if you do a search on SM you will find several topics on dog food.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Little Nadia has been moved around so much and I guess each one had a different "favorite"
I got her Natural Balance both canned and dry and she seems to love it so far! I got the Neumans treats ( but didn't open them yet).. and I got the Natural Balance treats.. but she doesn't seem too crazy about them.
She loved the all natural dried salmon treats but man do they stink.. I can hardly wait till they're gone.. glad I bought the small litttle bag LOL!
Nadia is about 1-2 years old.
Terry, Angel Missy, and little Nadia

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We use Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. But you can't get it at Petsmart either. You can go to this link Product Locator and it will tell you places you can find it. You may find it at a small boutique or farm store close to you.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Sometimes you have to settle for what they will eat!!!!! Ty is a great eater when he likes what he is eating but if he doesn't like the dog food FORGET IT. We have tried many "premium" foods with very poor results. The vet finally suggested trying some grocery store brands and much to my embarressment his favorite....................... kibbles and bits!!!!!!!! By all accounts I would consider that to be a "junk" dog food especially since it has corn meal as it's first ingredient but, it is 25% protein and he gobbles it up! So for the moment that is what we are feeding

·
Registered
841 Posts
We just bought the Innova It smells
she's seems to be liking it ,the only thing is I have to go down the slowest ,bussiest street we have takes about 45 to 1hr to go round trip so were trying it poor Summer has changed foods so many times I dought she even knows what she likes

Question do you guys feed wet and dry or just dry????

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Miko eats Natural Balance dry food and he loves it. We did try Chicken Soup for 3-4 months a while ago but he didn't like it and was getting lots of tearstaining from it. I know it has great ingredients, but not every dog is the same. I think you need to just try different brands and see what you and your puppy can be happy with.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Theresa@Sep 17 2005, 11:22 AM
We just bought the Innova It smells
  she's seems to be liking it ,the only thing is I have to go down the slowest ,bussiest street we have takes about 45 to 1hr to go round trip so were trying it poor Summer has changed foods so many times I dought she even knows what she likes

Question do you guys feed wet and dry or just dry????
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100528
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the Innova does smell.
Rosie eats chicken and Innova but we are hoping to change her to only dry when she gets a bit older.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Sep 15 2005, 08:58 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100087
[/QUOTE]

Rats, I tried the web site and there are only 4 stores in Tennessee. Nothing within 75 miles and thats too far to go for dog food. He always seems to like dry food at first and within a few times he quits it. Right now I am trying Natural Choice (wheat free) puppy food along with the Redbarn Cooked. He just had blood work done again and he thinks that it is off due to diet, cut down on Redbarn Cooked Roll which is high in beef and go to a lower quality dry food.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.