Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just started my Chloe on Artemis Small Breed Formula. She loves it. the web site is
http://www.artemiscompany.com/html/product..._smallbreed.htm

It's a holistic brand dog food and the kibble is small enough for her to eat. It might be hard to find though. Look on the web site for retailers in your area.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
it's always tough to say which one is "the best" as each dog has different needs and each owner looks for something different in what's "best". i think those who answer this answer with *why* they chose certain brands, that might help steer you in the right direction as to what's best for your baby.
i started buttercup on eukanuba (which she was on with the breeder, and she really seemed to like) but after trying to educate myself a little better as to what certain foods are made of and what is overall healthier for them... i made some changes. she was on nature's recipe for toy breeds (hard to find, and most stores think you're talking about nutro when you ask LOL, different brand!!!!) for some time, and still gets it when i can find it.
in an effort to get her away from preservatives and corns and undesirable things in foods, i tried her on a flint river ranch baked kibble. which she LOVED, but again, hard to find in my area now.
we have settled on chicken soup for the dog lover's soul because, a) it's easy for us to find, b)she eats all her dinner when this is in her dish, and c) she has less messy and less frequent poo on this.
she has no allergies for us to worry about (yet? can they develop yet? she's 5 yrs old), and no digestion issues to worry about. so i think i'll keep her on this for some time. we also use a spoonful of merrick canned (thanksgiving day dinner flavor) with each bowl of kibble. no reason, lol.

hope this helps?
ann marie and the "well fed, well rounded, and well rested" buttercup

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well I have tried many different brands of dry kibble for Scooby and he just simply would not eat any of them till the vet told me to try Beneful, which for a while he would eat, then he started picking out the green ones and leaving all other. :new_Eyecrazy: I tell you it is a headache when they are so picky to feed. Last time we were at Petco we bought him some Royal Canin kibble for small dogs and whalaaaaaaaaa he loves it and eats it all up, not bad after 2 years of trying to find one he will eat.

I even tried the green tripe
as suggested by someone in here and am now stuck with a whole can of it that he won't even sniff. Scooby has been a picky eater ever since we brought him home, he thinks he is going to eat what ever we eat, he loves vegies and will eat them and some freshly cooked chicken breast and steak grilled for us, but if it comes from a dog food bag or can we can usually forget it.

I am not overly concerned though as the vet says he is in very good health and looks real good on what he does eat so I guess it all suits him fine.

I will add thought that I do cook him wild rice and he loves plain yoghurt and a little cottage cheese so I suppose he is getting most of what he needs along with his kibble. If by chance he has a day where he refuses to eat at all I do give him some nutrical just to make sure he gets his essential nutrients for that day.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley started on Science Diet b/c that is what the breeder started him on and that is what I fed my cats. Then I read it had beet pulp in it (might add to tear staining) and learned more about fillers and better foods.

I changed him to Purina Pro Plan for small breeds, but he didn't care for it.

We then changed to the Holistic Blend of Royal Canin...still he wasn't crazy about it.

Finally, I hit the "jackpot" with Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.
It is more natural than many foods, but probably not the "best" food out there.
I feel like I am feeding him a high quality food that fits my budget.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Eagle Pack puppy brand. she loves it. it's holistic. it makes her coat so far nice and shiny. when she reaches 1 year old, we may change it but for now..... eagle pack it is. I think we may just upgrade her to the adult food version.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
For normal health dogs in my house, I feed Pro Plan products or Regal (I believe that is a local one for us). Jonathan is still eating the last kibble we had Mikey on which is an Rx hypoallergenic. He loves it so I buy it for him.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I have tried many and usually go with one of the Whole Dog Journal's recommendations. Right now mine are all on the Merrick dry foods. They just ran a special where if you bought a 30 lb. bag of dry food you get 12 cans free. That was just too good of a deal to pass up. The cans sell for $1.99 per can. I save the cans for a rescue dog that is very skinny. Every now and then, I put a tsp. in with my dogs dry. Before this mine were on Candidae and Chicken Soup for the dog lover soul. I have been happy with all these. I know availability plays a big factor in choosing food. I only have to drive 45 minutes to get the food of my choice. Oh, my vet carries Prairie and I like it also.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Codi is on Chicken Soup for the Puppy lovers soul ... and will supplement with either Merrick canned food (puppy plate) or homemade chicken rice and baby food mixture because he is a picky eater. He was originally on Nutro Ultra, but he seems to like this a lot better.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Mine eat a mixture of Flint River Ranch and Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul. They love it and they're both kinda picky
I have to order them online because of where I live, but its worth it because they're eating well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tassy and Kiwi have been on California Natural Chicken and Rice for a long time. Our groomer recommended it. They also offer Lamb and Rice or Reduced Calorie in either chicken or lamb.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Mine are now on a combo of Chicken Soup and Nutro Natural Choice and they are doing great. I liked them on Nutro but wanted them to have a more nutritious food so I started mixing the two. Tuffy tends to get runny poops on a highly nutritious food so that's why I'm still giving them some Nutro too. I also love how shiny their coats are from the Nutro.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I have a preference for the Merrick food for Naddie but it isn't available in many places near us. I don't think they sell to the chains.
A friend recommended it . I've only had a couple of cans as I wanted to see if Naddie would like it...well she sure does!!
Here is their website:
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/
I tried the "wingalings" first and was shocked to see actual chicken wings in the can! Well I shouldn't say shocked as my friend had told me... but it was strange to see "real-food". The bones simply crush up into palatable soft consistency. The smell is very much like "people-food".
I have been mixing it in with either Wellness or Natural Balance ( the latter seems to be more favored by her)in order to "s-t-r-e-t-c-h " it till I can get some more.

Terry, Angel Missy and Naddie

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by TheButtercup@Oct 23 2005, 03:15 PM
it's always tough to say which one is "the best" as each dog has different needs and each owner looks for something different in what's "best".  i think those who answer this answer with *why* they chose certain brands, that might help steer you in the right direction as to what's best for your baby. 
i started buttercup on eukanuba (which she was on with the breeder, and she really seemed to like) but after trying to educate myself a little better as to what certain foods are made of and what is overall healthier for them... i made some changes.  she was on nature's recipe for toy breeds (hard to find, and most stores think you're talking about nutro when you ask LOL, different brand!!!!) for some time, and still gets it when i can find it. 
in an effort to get her away from preservatives and corns and undesirable things in foods, i tried her on a flint river ranch baked kibble.  which she LOVED, but again, hard to find in my area now.
we have settled on chicken soup for the dog lover's soul because, a) it's easy for us to find, b)she eats all her dinner when this is in her dish, and c) she has less messy and less frequent poo on this. 
she has no allergies for us to worry about (yet? can they develop yet? she's 5 yrs old), and no digestion issues to worry about.  so i think i'll keep her on this for some time.  we also use a spoonful of merrick canned (thanksgiving day dinner flavor) with each bowl of kibble.  no reason, lol.

hope this helps?
ann marie and the "well fed, well rounded, and well rested" buttercup
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112664
[/QUOTE]

Hi AnnMarie and Buttercup

Have you ever had any tearstain issues while on Chicken Soup? I don't see any in the picture. In fact, the Buttercup looks like a beauty queen. Jack stained terribly while on this food, but it could just be a coincidence since it was allergy season as well. Just trying to decide whether or not to try it again. Thanks

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
There is no saying what is the best food but I feed Royal Canin Yorkshire, Natural Balance and Eukanuba. Different foods work for different people. I must have tried over 10 brands and I switch around.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am feeding Max Cesar's puppy food (moist) and Eukenuba for small breed pups. I do want to change. Before I knew anything, I didn't realize foods without by products were better for them. Turns out Cesar's is ALL by product. Max does eat both, though.

They say stay away from by products in food. Corn is harder to digest and "meal" instead of regular meat is better.

Now, Eukenuba has beats in it, that bad for tear stain?

Also, red dyes in the food can cause their coat to discolor.

Now, I am in search of more natural foods. Soon I will have him on all dry. Better for teeth and system, plus he does love it.

They say read the first 5 ingredients, that is what the food is mostly composed of. Less grains and more veggies is better, too.

I heard Lamb and rice dry foods were best for Maltese??

All these labels to read, so confusing.

I am going to find the most natural I can find at PetSmart and stick with that. I don't want a food that is hard to find and runs out....I don't want to have to deal with hunting for the right food. PetSmart has a few mostly natural for small breads....I think royal canine was one, authority was another and Proplan seemed to be made for the little breeds. We'll see, we still have plenty of Eukenuba.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well as of right now I plan on using the Chicken soup brand BUT I have no idea if it will work for Noel or not. But I am going to try....

After research and deciding on it. I went on a search to find it and could not find it anywhere and really didn't want to order offline...I finally found it at a feed store...just a plain on local feed store that has feed for cattle and horse...medical supplies for them...pretty much just a farm and ranch store...They have three kinds of dog food...three diffent rangs of prices...and Chicken soup was one of them. I was sooo shocked...I happened up on it because I was having a key made and while I waited I saw a sign that said Pet Supplies so went over to check it out and there it was.

So that is waht I will try to start with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts