Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got Fendi, I knew that later down the line I would purchase insurance for her. Now that she is four and a half, I am about ready to go ahead and do so. Does anyone have pet insurance that they recommend?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Petplan (www.gopetplan.com). The more I researched, the more confused I got! Every plan seems to have its pros and cons. Petplan doesn't cover routine care such as dental cleanings, vaccinations, etc. I wanted a plan to cover major illnesses. I felt it was the least expensive plan that covered most of what I wanted. I also seriously considered Trupanion, and someone I know spoke highly of QuickCare.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I have the AKC insurance on all three of mine. And I am so happy that I do. I have one chronically sick dog and it has covered thousands of dollars that I would have had to come up with (or make really tough decisions) I haven't really compared other plans, but this has worked well for me. They have a variety of coverages to meet most needs.
The AKC Pet Healthcare Plan - Health Insurance for Dogs and Cats

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I have PetPlan too. It doesn't exclude breed hereditary illnesses like many plans do and I wanted it for the illnesses or accidents rather than routine visits which aren't that expensive. They've been responsive and when Tyler needed an ex-ray last year we got money back. Check things like deductibles on it, etc.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
ok i think this is very important n i think i better start this now , so what do u all recommend?

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
It is good to see this posted again in light of all the sick dogs we have had here lately. Some have insurance (like Bailys Mom Nida) and some do not. I cannot recommend it enough to everyone. I know that people say they will save money for vet visits. But I think everyone should have at least a policy that cover for catastrophic events. I think you need to ask yourself, can I come up with $3000.00 quickly and easily? That is the amount that most surgical or medical emergencies cost.

I really like my AKC plan, but they do not cover some hereditary problems. And with our dogs honestly, that could pose a problem. However now for me, changing carrieres is not an option, as now Lola has a pre exsisting condition.

But I was very happy to see in their latest newsletter, they are now paying for vaccine titre testing! That is a really good thing.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I'm looking into insurance at the moment & boy, what a job!! I'm going cross eyed reading all the fine print! It seems that the policy premiums here in Au go up based on the age of the dog - for example, one policy I looked at would be $51.53 per month for Harley, and $45.86 per month for Dakota - there is a 2 year, 2 month age difference between them. This policy covers EMERGENCY and ILLNESS only of up to $12,000 per year (it basically says it will pay 80% of costs).

I'm also a bit disappointed to see (so far) that preventative treatments such as dentals are NOT included in any of the policies I have looked at so far. One policy did included preventative treatment, but at an additional cost of $9.50 per month, and in the case of a dental, would only cover the first $50 - yeah, its something, but given the cost of their last dental, it barley scratches the surface.

I'm not being 'tight', but at close to $1200 per year to insure both of my darlings, I have to ask myself if this is of real benefit to us. But, as you say Pam, do I have $3000 sitting around in case of emergency??? Right now, yes. I could cover a $3000 emergency - but only once & it would be a considerable financial 'hit'

Both H & D are due a dental in the coming months - I'm guessing thats going to be around $500 + .... but even if I had the insurance - I haven't found a policy yet that covers such 'preventative' treatment ..... frustrating!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I'm looking into insurance at the moment & boy, what a job!! I'm going cross eyed reading all the fine print! It seems that the policy premiums here in Au go up based on the age of the dog - for example, one policy I looked at would be $51.53 per month for Harley, and $45.86 per month for Dakota - there is a 2 year, 2 month age difference between them. This policy covers EMERGENCY and ILLNESS only of up to $12,000 per year (it basically says it will pay 80% of costs).

I'm also a bit disappointed to see (so far) that preventative treatments such as dentals are NOT included in any of the policies I have looked at so far. One policy did included preventative treatment, but at an additional cost of $9.50 per month, and in the case of a dental, would only cover the first $50 - yeah, its something, but given the cost of their last dental, it barley scratches the surface.

I'm not being 'tight', but at close to $1200 per year to insure both of my darlings, I have to ask myself if this is of real benefit to us. But, as you say Pam, do I have $3000 sitting around in case of emergency??? Right now, yes. I could cover a $3000 emergency - but only once & it would be a considerable financial 'hit'

Both H & D are due a dental in the coming months - I'm guessing thats going to be around $500 + .... but even if I had the insurance - I haven't found a policy yet that covers such 'preventative' treatment ..... frustrating!
The AKC policy does cover one yearly dental, flea treatment etc. Also titre testing now.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
It is good to see this posted again in light of all the sick dogs we have had here lately. Some have insurance (like Bailys Mom Nida) and some do not. I cannot recommend it enough to everyone. I know that people say they will save money for vet visits. But I think everyone should have at least a policy that cover for catastrophic events. I think you need to ask yourself, can I come up with $3000.00 quickly and easily? That is the amount that most surgical or medical emergencies cost.

I really like my AKC plan, but they do not cover some hereditary problems. And with our dogs honestly, that could pose a problem. However now for me, changing carrieres is not an option, as now Lola has a pre exsisting condition.

But I was very happy to see in their latest newsletter, they are now paying for vaccine titre testing! That is a really good thing.
Yes, I do have PetPlan insurance for Bailey. I got it as soon as I adopted him, to ensure that if there were any accidents or major illnesses, then I would be covered, at least somewhat. When Bailey got sick recently, between all the tests, medicines, hospitalization, surgery, etc, I spent somewhere around $3,500. We're still not in the clear yet because we don't have a diagnosis on him STILL :w00t: and no idea what could have caused his stomach to look/act like it had a blockage. Anyways, $3,500 is not an amount I could come up with easily (especially since I have a 12 year old cat who was just diagnosed with cancer and I have spent thousands of dollars in the last six months trying to get to this diagnosis). I'm glad I have PetPlan, although I have been having some issues with them (they recently switched underwriters, whatever that means) so I'm still trying to figure out how much they will actually cover.

I recommend anyone who is considering getting insurance (and yes, please do!) to do it while their animal is young and healthy!! That way, you have no pre-existing conditions and have a lot more options.

When I was researching pet insurance companies, I came across a lot of people who said they would rather save up and put money aside for emergencies. How much can you really put aside every month?? I know I can't afford to put aside massive amounts of cash on a regular basis, just for pet emergencies. If I had put aside the $12 a month that I paid PetPlan for the past 10 months, I would have had a whopping $120 in my pet emergency account. You can do the math and tell how much that would have helped me in this case...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have VPI and have not been too happy with them. They seem to turn down more claims than they pay. They didn't cover anything related to Gilmore's luxiating patella surgery because they consider it genetic.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
After doing a lot of research, I chose Petplan for Gracie who is almost five months old. It seems there are several good companies, so much of it is based on what you want the insurance for. My cockapoo, Cisco has had two ACL surgeries and I do NOT have insurance on him. Never again! So it was extremely important to me to find a company that covered knees as well as illnesses and accidents. I didn't care about having insurance cover preventative stuff and dentals. I will need help in case of a "big ticket" event. What I found was that the majority of companies will not cover luxating patellas, ACL surgery, or any condition they deem is genetic, but Petplan does. Thankfully, Gracie has great knees right now and hopefully they will remain perfect her whole life. I probably spent an good half hour on the phone with an agent asking all my questions before I knew that this was the best fit for my needs.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have Pet Secure in Canada and I have a preventative plan. His allergy blood test was covered. $500. Dental $600 was covered. His neuter, blood work, flea prevention for 6 months. I researched and it had what I needed. So check out several and compare, you get free quotes on a lot of them. Also ask the vets assistant they know which ones pay and ones that take their sweet time about ...I figure I pay you on time pay me on time...good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Nida,
I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong when I'm trying to get a quote for Boo for Petplan. I went on-line and chose the lowest program (Bronze) with the highest deductible ($200) and the lowest reimbursement (80%) and it came up with a quote of $24.50 per month. He's only 4 months old so I know it can't be because of his age. I'm just wondering why this would be more than double the $10 you are paying per month. I think the pet insurance is a great idea, and having had a wheaten terrier who we spent thousands on I can appreciate the usefulness of it. But for the two of mine to spend $50 a month ($600) a year, that's enough to make me question if it's worth it or not. Any ideas why my quote would be so much higher?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts