Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you all have mentioned going to dog parks. Just an FYI: When I was at the vet picking up K & C from grooming on Friday I saw a notice posted there that said to keep our dogs out of the "Bark Park" (the name of our local dog park). The park is fairly new... it's been here about a year.

The notice said that they had treated four dogs with bites needing stitches in a short period of time (can't quite remember... a couple weeks I think) The notice also said that they had seen a few dogs recently that had gotten all sorts of parasites(?) (sorry, I can't remmber exactly... I'll try to find out...) But bottom line is they said to stay out of the Bark Park!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Where I live they are trying out a new thing where you can let your dogs roam free (without leash) in a dog park nearby if you follow certain training rules, and I think your dog has to pass some kind of obedience test. It's scary to think that no matter how well your dog has been trained, that he/she will be roaming around with other dogs that may not have had any kind of training. You can hear the barks, growls, and yelps from down the street...
Peanut never gets to go there though, even when no other dogs are around, there is just too much poo that doesn't get picked up. It's gross and soooo unsanitary. I mean pooper scooper laws don't get enforced, how are the 'authorities' going to monitor the safety of the dog park?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I also have one nearby and I have never taken Lacey to it. She goes in the park behind my house. It is a very small park and only the locals use it. We do have to pick up any waste on the ground and it is enforced. But anytime I see a dog walking towards Lacey I pick her up and continue on my way. Last summer some of the dogs were very friendly, along with their owners. We would walk at the same time every evening so I got to know them and Lacey got to know them. But you can't be to careful. There was a big dog in the park last summer. His owner could not control him. He was huge and he jumped up on me to get to Lacey. This dog must have weighed at least 100 pounds and the guy walking him could barely get him off of me. I know the rangers in the park and I reported this guy. The rangers are good friends of mine and also once in a while do some work with me so they kept a lookout for him and told him he could no longer walk his dog in the park due to all the complaints they had received. So yes you have to be very careful with the dogparks and parks. The dogparks are dirty and people here just let there dog run. I have heard that there are fights and I just won't chance taking Lacey and having some dog hurt or kill her. Plus there are many people who don't make sure their dogs have all of their shots. Lacey is always up to date to protect her.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
We have a dog park, but it is right on the highway

I took Sylphide once, and it was the only time she felt nervous about being around other dogs. She was not a happy trooper. She came home with some kind of stomach upset--I'm sure they must have had parasites or something.

Needless to say, I never took her back. We have a couple of commons and forests nearby that are dog friendly, and I take mine when there are no others around. Sylphide gets her socialization with other dogs in at agility classes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
we have never taken Jasmine to one of those parks, I would be scared some thing out of my control would happen. In the complex that we live in everyone is supposed to have their dogs on leashes but of course there is the special people that dose not pertain to. So if I see a dog comming toward us I pick her up. My God if something was to happen to her because the other dog was not on a leash my husband would go to jail for assalt.
BETTY

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had actually thought of maybe checking out the Bark Park but no way, now. I am so glad that my vet posted that notice. I was wondering how it could possibly work with so many dogs and who knows which ones may not get along. I had thought maybe I was the one who didn't "get it" but I guess my original instincts were right. There had been articles in the paper about how great it was, etc. There is plenty of room in my house and yard for my kids and that way I know they are safe and sound!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
a place like that is tooo dangerous for a tiny/small dog. Its safer to just walk your babies on a leash around where you live.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts