Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've always wanted to be in girl scouts---but my sister is disgusted with the idea of camping and told me not to join. :wacko: i asked her if we could go to campw.com and she said no for two reasons---1-she doesnt want to take that much time off work (not that she cant...she doesnt want to...shes psycho) and 2-shes grossed out with using public bathrooms and public showers. its like, hello?! we've stayed in hotels before. we once stayed in a 2 star hotel....she made a little 'walkway' with towels on the ground. anyway, im thinking about contacting them. itd be cool to start a dog scout.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they say that they do an evaluation on your dog, ithink they called it a 'friendly test'. to see how friendly your dog is. and if your dog is friendly---then it can join. soooo.....i'd have to make sure all three my dogs are trained better. we're still working on it! lol.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nicole,

the trainer came to our house and did a bunch of little tests:

sprite-fear aggressive(so she'll bite(which isnt hard) when you walk away)

ellie-fearful (but she wouldnt bite)

gruffi-fear aggressive

it turns out we didnt socialize them enough (i thought we did...we took them everywhere with us). and the trainer basically told us that sprite and gruffi will forever be fear aggressive...but with the training we can control it so that they dont act out.

but when all three are together---they'll act like a gang. and we have to fix that.

J

·
0 Posts
Doctor Cathy what kind of tests did your trainer do? I have a trainer coming to evulate Lacey in a week so she can start her training. He will take her for 10 days during the day and work with her. I told him I was worried about her socialization skills. I walk her in the park everynight and she sees all kinds of people and dogs but she is very shy around them. Lacey is 5 months old and I would love for her to be friendly with all people. She is great with people she knows but those that she doesn't, while she needs some work.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i only remember a few. its in the book Grrr by Mathew margolis. anyway 1-put your dog on his spine and hold him there while you're standing over him, if he tries to bite, hes aggressive
2-call his name and look straight into his eyes--if he lunges towards you, hes aggressive
3-tug on his skin and tail and lips, if he bites-then hes aggressive

and thats all i really remember. www.unclematty.com has some cool pages about aggression.

i totally doubt your dog is aggressive. if she's shy then the trainer will totally help you about sociallizing her more.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
toby and wally sound so cute!! but about the howl thing---i tried looking for the book, i cant find it. but that back and paw thing that your husband does---thats exactly what our trainer did. but you also have to have a stranger do it to your dog. cuz your dog can easily be submissive to you....but maybe aggressive or dominant to a stranger.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Oh my gosh, doggy camp! SO COOL! Im going to enroll Brit Brit in doggy day care as soon as she gets spayed, and camp would be AWESOME!

It reminds me of that Advantix commercial with the little golden pup writing a letter so his parents about how Advantix got rid of all the fleas and ticks and mosquitos! LOL!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts