Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reliant Park World Series of Dog Shows is held in Houston from Thursday to Sunday. Not so long ago we had a discussion about the Maltese being a Terrier or not. The newspaper happens to mention which dogs are in the TERRIER group. Here they are starting with :

Yorkshire terrier
Affenpinsher
Brussels griffon
Cavalier King Charles spaniel
Chihuahua
Chinese crested
English toy spaniel
Havanese
Italian greyhound
Japanese chin
Maltese
Manchester Terrier
Miniature pinscher
Papillon
Pekingese
Pomeranian
Poodle
Pug
Shi Tzu
Silky Terrier
Toy fox terrier

The Bichon Frisé is considered ar non-sporting.

and for the TOY :

Norwich terrier
Airedale terrier
American Staffordshire terrier
Australian terrier...... and soon

more terrier in the Toy group then in the Terrier group. I don't know folks, but for me a Staffordshire bull terrier is not exactly a Toy dog. Maybe they made a boo boo in that newspaper. What do you all think ?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
They sure did make a boo-boo. Even if a Maltese could be considered a terrier, there is no way that a Cavalier King Charles SPANIEL could be. Think they reversed something. I'm guessing lots of dog people climbed all over them about it, too! LOL

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If you get a chance to go to the show this weekend, look out for my Westie, Bruiser. He IS a terrier. He is flying in from California with his wonderful handler, Sally George, for the shows. I was there three years ago to get my darling Kelsey (who thinks she is a Maltese) from her breeder's handler, and two years ago when Bruiser won the National Specialty. Last year, I missed it, but Bruiser took a Best in Show there. Sure wish I could drive out this time, but the pups don't need to make the long trip. And, the grass needs cutting <darn>

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LucyLou I am not going. I have trouble with one of my legs/hip and am not too good at walking lately. And there is a LOT of walking at Reliant Park. Just from the parking lot to the actual show is a killer. Good look to Bruiser.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jul 21 2005, 08:47 AM
LucyLou I am not going. I have trouble with one of my legs/hip and am not too good at walking lately. And there is a LOT of walking at Reliant Park. Just from the parking lot to the actual show is a killer. Good look to Bruiser.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83292
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry you are having problems withyour legs/ip. I hope it resolves soon.
I well know that parking lot. The last time I went, I had a pup I was weening in my motorhome. I walked back and forth every hour or so to check on him. It discourages you buing from the wonderful vendors as it's so far to carry things.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
We are in the Houston area this week and we went to the show today. It was such a blast. We saw a bunch of Westies today.. I bet we saw your Bruiser, Lucy Lou. There were so many beautiful dogs. We didn't see any Maltese though today. I wish I could have been able to go all 4 days especially since my Yorkie's breeder is competing but we are heading back home soon. If anyone gets a chance, this was so much fun.. the vendors were fantastic and it was so much fun to see the behind the scenes of dog shows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts