Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya everyone :D

I dont know if anyone here will be able to help, but i thought it might be worth a try.

In the UK we dont have a great selection of dog treats or dog clothes
(we tend just to get silly old bones and old knitted jumpers - very unfashionable and the couple of places we do have cost the earth!)

Where as I see lots of american sites have wonderful items like doggy ice cream, chocolates and super cute fashions.
The sites I find though never seem to ship here, either that or they want to charge $70 shipping on an order of $50! - I know its far away, but its not THAT expensive lol

I know lots of you dress your fur kids up and I wondered if anyone knows of any good sites that ship to the UK?

Any sites that you know of would be a great help.
Thanks very much

Fiona & Bella

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Boom Booms Mom

How are you? Hows Boom Boom?

Thanks for your message,Thats really kind of you to offer.
I will keep looking around but if nothing comes up I wouldn't mind taking you up on that offer possibly if you dont mind. I would make sure you weren't out of pocket.

(I have been looking for about a year!) but with so many new stores opening I keep hoping somewhere that ships here will open. I love the pamperedpuppy site but not many of the shops in their directory ship to the UK.

Im looking to buy some nice treats and a few tops/coats for bella. Maybe some hair accessories too. I know shipping will be more but I think the places who are charging $70 etc are just at it.

I have a place where i buy plain tops for bella that I decorate myself, and they only charge me $5 shipping for 9 or 10 shirts. I also bought her 2 pet carriers from ebay america, the shipping for them both together was $18 which i didnt think was too bad.

Thanks again for your message
I will let you know how I get on.

Fiona & Bella

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Bellas Mummy, it is the same here in New Zealand. We are limited on what we can get here for our dogs too esp in the way of clothing. We can get stuff if we want to pay through the nose, and the cute outfits I have managed to get were either from ebay also America, or from a place here from a Chinese lady who imports stuff, but that is not cheap either. I also love looking at the sites which are all American, but like you find that shipping is a killer.I have bought some cheap baby clothes and adapted them which have turned out really cute, but as I am not really a sewer I think it is more luck than anything

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Sisses Momma

Thanks very much for the links! I managed to find one place (thanks to nicole) and have placed an order. The women was really nice and the shipping was *too* bad.. but im still looking for other places too so the links are a great help.
Thank you :D

westiemaltese

It sounds like much like the UK. Petlondon and pucci have nice things but cpst the earth! I found some doggy PJS on there that were £16.99 and then worked out that they were buying them for about £4.60 from america in bulk!!
its unreal

I have also tried to make bella some outfits, using transfers and fabric paints. Unfortunately im not very good so I think Bella was extremely embarrassed to be seen in them lol

Fiona & Bella

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Shipping overseas does not come cheap. A shipment to the UK of 1 lbs through DHL would cost me about 27 $ without insurance. UPS would probably be in the same price range and so would Fedex. You can use the post office for cheaper but it will take something like 3 weeks to get there. And don't forget, you might have to pay custom on arrival.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi MalteseJane :D

Thanks for your message. Im not sure if I read it wrong (it is very late here lol) or if you thought we were having a go at those who do ship here. If that's the case, sorry if i offended you, I didn't mean to.

I understand that it doesn't come cheap, and dont mind paying a fair price at all, infact most of the items are so much cheaper im happy to pay the shipping etc.

All I was meaning was a lot of companies really over charge when shipping to the UK or in westiemalteses case New Zealand. I received some plain dog shirts today which i see cost the lady $7.00 to ship here, However I paid $25! I really dont think it cost that much esp since she sent it via the post office. I have also ordered two dog carriers from america a couple of weeks ago (fairly big items) which only cost $18 to get sent here, however a company last week were trying to charge me $50 for 1 dog jacket and some bows lol

Its just difficult to find good companies that ship at a good rate

·
Registered
30 Posts
yes Bellas Mummy

You are right. It pays to shop around especially when it comes to postage.It is amazing how the prices vary. I have a look at the American sites because of the $ difference. For buying in USA I roughly double our money and know I will get change, where as to shop in English Pounds I have to triple our money. What a screwed up world we live in, as all I want is nice things for my fur babies. My sewing is shocking and I had a giggle when you said Bella was probably embarrassed to be seen in your creations as it was the same here. I don't even know if they would withstand a cycle through the washing machine hehe. My Mum was a self taught sewer and always said if it survives a wash then you have done good. I don't think my creations would. I bought a lovely book of patterns for dog clothes but it is in Japanese so I wouldn't have a clue as to what it is telling me to do. If I come up with any sites or info worth mentioning I will let you know

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I guess it depends which carrier they are using and if they have an account with them. A lot are not used to ship overseas. The cheapest way is still the post office.

Bellas Mummy my message was only to give you an idea of what shipping charges can be. I am not offended. Don't worry.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I order Sylphide's clothes custom made by Rena Dwyer from Barkin Dog Clothes. Her prices are outstanding. She ships overseas. Rena made the outfit below as well as the red outfit Syphide is wearing in the signature collage. I'm sure her shipping charges will be very fair. She ships for free in the US. She'll probably package plainly if you ask.

Barking Dog Clothes

I buy bows from Dog-Bows.com

Their international shipping policy:
International:
Shipping cost will be adjusted for International Orders to the actual cost, plus $3.00 to cover additional processing fees occurred, with a $5.00 minimum charge.
Global Priority is also available to most counties and is delivered in approximately 5-7 days.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Rena's service to me has been fantastic. I never order the exact things on the site--I always choose a style, a fabric, and have the outfit made to fit Sylphide (Rena has her measurements on file). Rena has consistently delivered exactly what I ordered, at a perfect fit, within less than a week, even on the custom orders.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
PS - Bellas Mummy-- I was born in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire County. My grandmother lives in Gateshead. Not far from your neck of the woods, as they would say here in the US...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts