Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only bought Poppy high quality treats, but no matter which one I feed, (when I don't feed too many :innocent: ) he gets runny poo's.

Now, Poppy loves green beans, strawberries and honeydew melon.

My question is ... say I am grooming him and feeding him the beans, berries, etc. ... will they upset his stomach like the dog treats? I know that no matter what it is, I need to not feed too much ... but I am trying like heck to get him to accept getting his legs brushed ... so I tend to not pay attention to how much I am giving him.

I'm just wondering if the fruits/veggies might be easier on his tummy than dog treats?

Second question ... a lot of people say they feed tiny bites of real chicken ... but I *thought* I remember people saying that Maltese can have reactions to poultry? Or, am I remembering wrong?

Thanks and HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I never use dog treats as I don't trust the manufacturers. I feed boiled chicken, both as treats and in the girls daily food.

Mine love veggies and fruits. I often use baby carrots or sliced apples as quick treats.

For grooming, I would try using human baby food chicken or turkey stix. You can do small pieces. I used to use that for training my show dogs.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
When we are training or grooming we offer both itty bitty bear that are made by cloudstar and fresh veggies/fruit like carrots and apples.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
IMO:

1. Sometimes veggies can give some dogs runs or loose stools if they aren't pureed.

2. Nikki does fine on chicken. I don't believe we can generalize about the entire breed regarding food allergies, it's an individual thing.

3. Among other things, Nikki's treats are Stella and Chewy's Carnivore Kisses: raw dehydrated Salmon. I buy them at amazon.com

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I give Bisou Edamame beans (Japanese soy beans like you get in a Sushi restaurant). I boil them for about 15 minutes, let them cool and give them to her as individual beans..not too many-maybe only 5 or so. She goes crazy for them. These don't bother her stomach although Poppy may be more sensitive in that regard.

I give Bisou chicken a lot (her breeder even gave it to her when she was recovering from her spay) and she doesn't have a problem with it (but every dog is different).

for Bisou's treats (store bought ones), we use Mini Zukes (Salmon and Chicken I think), the Zukes blueberry/lamb jerky (I break them into smaller pieces) and then Buddy Biscuits too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts