Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody seen this reality tv show? It is on National Geographic, I think it is weekdays at 9 AM. I saw it a couple of times because I took some days off and I LOVED it. He is incredible. His knowledge about dog behavior without any type of violence is amazing. Both small and big dogs. He treated Oprah's dogs!! Then I was having some difficulties walking my two babies together. I followed his suggestions and it worked!!! We power-walked for 10 minutes with no problem at all. Both of my babies walked side by side!!!

He is an animal behaviorist in California (well I am not sure) and he always talk about fulfilling your dog’s life and making him/her a happier dog… Anyway I am thinking about buying his dvd about animal behavior and training. Does anybody have it? How is it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I should have posted this in the Training discussion forum!? Sorry! If someone can tell me how I can move it I will.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Silvia,

I too have seen the show and although my Teddy does not exibit any problems...it is interesting to watch the way the dogs change just by the way they are handled...reminds us all that we must be the leader of the pack....our dogs like it better that way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, you are right!! I read a lot of books and they all point that you need to be the leader. You know, eating first and walking out a door first... but then you look at your little cutie pies and you think, come on... they are little angels how am I going to be that mean!! but then they start being a little bit nasty, just a little bit... and it is just because they need you as a leader!!! Amazing. Yes, I am new at this. those of you who have experience must think I am stupid!!
(just kiding)

Well, sorry again I will move this topic to training.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Silvia@Sep 19 2005, 12:49 PM
yes, you are right!! I read a lot of books and they all point that you need to be the leader. You know, eating first and walking out a door first... but then you look at your little cutie pies and you think, come on... they are little angels how am I going to be that mean!! but then they start being a little bit nasty, just a little bit... and it is just because they need you as a leader!!! Amazing. Yes, I am new at this. those of you who have experience must think I am stupid!! 
(just kiding)

Well, sorry again I will move this topic to training.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101044
[/QUOTE]

Yep I saw him on Oprah . I went looking for his book the other day but it will not be released until next April 2006.
I don't get the show so I thought I would get his book. Let me know if the DVD is any good. What were his suggestions for the power walking two dogs? If we walk Chester and Chelsey separate they are angels but together is an other story.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I've watched him several times and I don't get what he does. I think he just does the same thing over and over again, but doesn't really explain it. For example, he talks about putting the power through the leash...I tried and Toby was pertified. I think maybe he just has a gift and isn't able to communicate it to others. JMO

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I have watched his show many times.. it is sometimes broadcast here on History and once saw it on the Turner movie cable chanel .. I've had to "surf" to catch it. here there were two back to back shows..10:00 and 1030.. and BTW.. they are NOT listed in the local "guide" either..but we turn it on, surf a bit and there it is.
It may have changed with the new fall season getting into swing.

I do think he has some good points.. and as we know these pooches do pick up on our "vibes".. so I do think they pick up on our "authority" if we indeed are sending that out.
I know Missy was a very spoiled little girl.. and could even be a bit snappy when people came up to us ..especially when I was holding her.. BUT! at the vets.. never!! she could sense, I think, they ahd the "authority" and were not intimidaded by her whatsoever.. and they were very good and kind to her... but they just "presented themselves" as "boss".
There is something to the status of "rank".. and this is just an inborn thing for them.. They know "somebody" has to be the leader.. if they don't see it.. I guesss they feel.. "well "must be ME!!"
Now I'm as guilty as anyone for breaking the rules.. .. I just "understand" them.. don't always follow them

Terry Angel Missy and Naddie

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
That's interesting Jackie..
I haven't seen a whole lot of his shows but I thought his "theory" was of the owner being the "alpha" ( or not I should say) was the "root" of a lot of the problems? NO?
I also thought ( at least on one of the shows that I recall the dog was of the "working" group.. and the dog got vet little exercise etc.. and that the behavior was due to him not having a "job" to do.. it kind of made sense...
I have always felt that a "bored" dog can often exhibit undesirable behavior..
I'd love to hear your thought!!
I totally trust your opinions!
Terry, Angel Missy, and Naddie.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I forgot to mention before.. I know someone who had a pooch she adopted from a shelter . The dog had some aggressive issues ( with other dogs) and I believe was going to to be PTS. She adopted him and was workling with him. At the same time her other dog was dealing with serious health problems..she had the dogs separated.. and the shelter pooch was coming along .. and she worked with him but knew it would be a long process.
She always kept him confined.. but somehow one day he got out.. and attacked a little dog being walked near her home. She felt terrible and took full responsibility.
Of course she felt the dog could no longer stay with her.. and she would not risk his being put with someone who did not have full understanding of his issues..for fear something like this would happen again. It likely would be PTS then she decided to try one thing and that was to contact this guy . He was not taking any more but a protege of his agreed to take the dog. He was shipped to CA. She also had a friend who was there to meet both the dog and the guy picking him up.
She has gone to visit him and she said he was coming along very well, living nicely with several other dogs... and I think the next step she will be going out for her own "training" to work with him and be sure to continue progression. She is planning to move to another state.. she hopes one day he will be able to come with her again.
So it is due to her that I came to "know" this guy on TV.. I have watched his shows as I said as we came upon it by chance.. the shows I have seen have been repeats of a couple of episodes so probably only seen maybe 4 episodes... but seen them over a couple of times or parts of them.
I am curious to see how this gals dog actually ends up... I haven't been keeping up with the posts on that board in awhile.
Terry, Angel Missy, and Naddie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I kind of agree that is always the same. But it is amazing to see how the dogs change so much just by changing your own attitude. It made me think that I was not doing the best for them.
Like for instance when we went for a walk, I used to let them decide where to go. I felt it was mean to take them where I wanted to go if it was their walk time. so what happened? they were very anxious and insecure and their walk time wasn't a good time anymore. I know, I know... I don't know what I was thinking back then!! Now I have taken control and we go wherever I think it is better for them to go. That way they follow me. They don't have to think. They trust me and therefore they follow me ( we are practicing with no leash)
Anyway... what I did to power walk was to have both leases on my right hand and with the left hand I kind of push it a little bit behing me so I walk a little bit (just a little bit) ahead. Then I start praising them and saying things like come on come on, quick quick... I walk at their pace which is a faster that I used to so they cannot go ahead of me. The important thing here is that they are a little bit behind you.
The first 10/20 seconds are a little bit difficult but then you can feel how they relax and there is no tension on the leash. That is when you know they are focus on walking. They just keep walking.
I only do this for like 5 minutes and then we rest and I let them sniff and lay down... and then I try a second time. He said that for toy dogs just 5 - 10 minutes is enough.

I will let you know about the DVD
It is a great way to exercise and teach them how to focus.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Sep 19 2005, 08:15 PM
I think he's full of [email protected]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101244
[/QUOTE]

Well, I must say I totally respect your opinions...so why do you feel he is full of [email protected] I would love to know because so many are following what he is about. I personally never had a problem with behavior problems...with any dog, but I think that is the way I was raised. Wow, Mom and Dad did something right...

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme+Sep 20 2005, 11:09 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Sep 19 2005, 08:15 PM
I think he's full of [email protected]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101244
Well, I must say I totally respect your opinions...so why do you feel he is full of [email protected] I would love to know because so many are following what he is about. I personally never had a problem with behavior problems...with any dog, but I think that is the way I was raised. Wow, Mom and Dad did something right...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101454
[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL You mean my one-liner wasn't enough?

I have a comment on "alpha" theory first. I don't really like that word. A lot of people understand it, but when you have behavior issues, it is a relationship and communication problem. It is about the dog looking to you for guidance, but not necessarily about dominance or being strong and bossy. I'm a tiny person and very gentle and quiet with my dogs. We work on our relationship and understand each other. I'm the boss for sure, but alpha and dominance have so many bad connotations and don't describe how we are a team and work together.

I've watched a few bits of his show on video and have discussed him with trainers I respect. Most of the time, he is flooding the dog (throwing it into the situation with which there is a problem full force) with an unfamiliar person (himself)...this isn't usually effective and can make things worse. The dog may behave for him and when he's around, but he hasn't taught the owner anything about why the dog is behaving that way, how the dog can learn a more approriate behavior, etc. I have a big problem with trainers who ignore learning theory. An aggressive or fearful dog is NOT going to be fixed in 30 minutes...it takes months and months and even years of work... I've owned a fear aggressive dog, I've worked with anxiety issues, etc. When they're sent to a veterinary behaviorist, the visit takes a few hours and you go home with 5+ pages of instructions for working with the dog. This guy hanging out with the dog for a few minutes and working with it for a few minutes to "cure" behavior problems is fanciful thinking.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Sep 20 2005, 10:47 PM
I have a comment on "alpha" theory first. I don't really like that word. A lot of people understand it, but when you have behavior issues, it is a relationship and communication problem. It is about the dog looking to you for guidance, but not necessarily about dominance or being strong and bossy. I'm a tiny person and very gentle and quiet with my dogs. We work on our relationship and understand each other. I'm the boss for sure, but alpha and dominance have so many bad connotations and don't describe how we are a team and work together.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101641
[/QUOTE]

Jackie, you have put in to words my relationship with K & C. I didn't have this type of relationship with my first Malt, Rosebud, but I thankfully do with K & C. I think I learned a lot with my first. I so agree that it isn't a matter of dominance or being bossy or anything like that. It is definitely that they look to me for guidance. That is the perfect description. I, also, speak softly to them even though I am normally not a quiet person but they are so sensitive, so being calm and quiet and gentle is just the best way for them.

After having not had this situation with my first and now having it I can see how much better it is and how emotionally close it brings us.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I completely agree that the word and action of "dominance" is a tricky thing for many...I also never raise my voice to Teddy...it is not about being bossy as you say, but being comfortable in what you are doing. I don't have to rule over Teddy in order for Teddy to follow me or want to follow me, he just wants to follow by the way I interact with him.

I have heard that the Dog Wisperer does use some agression off air...not sure if this is true...but it sure seems that way in viewing him sometimes.

Thanks for sharing your views.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I have never seen this guy so I can't comment about his method, but I just want to let you know how it is with Scooby in our house.
Scooby always looks to me for the final decision on anything hubby suggests to him ie. a few examples.
Hubby will say... Scooby do you want to go for a drive? He will immediately look at me to see my reaction or if I am not in the room he will come to me all excited to see if I agree.
Hubby will ask him if he wants to go out potty, the very same thing, he will look to me, if hubby heads toward the door Scooby will hang back and not move till I tell him to go, then he runs out the back door.
Scooby rarely sits on my recliner but always fights hubby for his recliner and as long as hubby sits there he will not leave him. He follows hubby everywhere, but here it the funny part, he disobeys hubby on everything and if he is being silly and hubby tells him to stop he looks at me yet again till I tell him, then he immediately stops.
If he does something to himself that either hurts or embarrasses him he runs straight to me, he comes to me for his food too and he sleeps all night cuddled up to me in bed, as far away from hubby as he can get, yet all day long he is hubby's shadow, how do you figure this one out.
My thought is I am his provider, so I am top of his ladder.
Hubby is his bestest friend in the whole world, but he thinks he is the boss there, so he is second in his mind.
Poor Hubby is bottom of the chain, yet adored by both Scooby and I.
My theory is Scooby is too smart for his own good and he thinks he has both of us right where he wants us, but he is such a good little boy and very rarely naughty so we are happy with this because he is so very well adjusted and happy and confident and that is all that counts to us.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
They are like little kids. They play you against each other. When my husband tells him something, he looks at me to see if I agree. If my husband asks him to come with him to get the mail, he looks if I am coming too. If I don't he won't go with my husband. If I am not getting the cookies, he looks at my husband if he is going to get them. And he knows that he will have more luck with my husband. I don't like the "dominance" way to train them either. You rule (like Sadam) by scaring them. I don't want Alex to be scared of me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts