Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so my baby does not like to go potty outside at all. He’s always been disinterested in sniffing around & lifting his leg. I’m not sure why. I have two other pups that go just fine outside, but this one never does. He always hids or waits for everybody to go upstairs to pee/poop on the pad. We don’t ever yell at him if he makes a mistake either. So not sure why he has developed this habit... does anybody else have any tips?

·
Premium Member
20,048 Posts
My youngest (10 months old) doesn't go outside either. It's strange, but it's ok with me...it makes it easier when I walk her because the people in our neighborhood are crazy when it comes to a dog doing their business on their property. We don't have sidewalks and everyone seems to have video cameras outside, it's awful! Then on our local fb pages they threaten to out you with the video! OMG, so she's the only one I walk now, lol. All my others go inside or outside, it doesn't matter to me. 😏

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am obsessed with your dogs!!!❤ I take all of them out on day trips & sometimes it’s hours away from home. He holds it in & wont ever go until we get home. I’m so worried it’s not healthy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No advice here but my girl does the same thing! She will hold it for several hours and always wants privacy When she goes on the pad. She’s nearly nine so I doubt if she’ll change. I’m good with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My girl doesn’t like to do her things outside either. But I only take her for walks once a day, it’s more of an outing.

I realized that the first couple of times that we went out, she seemed hesitant to do anything. So I started taking treats and encouraging her. Eventually one day she got desperate and did a weewee and got a treat with loads and loads of praise. I simply wanted her to know that it was okay for her to do it.

Now she will only do a peepee if she gets desperate because we’ve been out for a while, otherwise she’ll get back home and go on her pad.

A trick you could try is accompanying him outside with a few treats and try enticing him into lifting a leg. It will take a few try’s and a lot of patience but if he does it outside give him the treat and show him lots of love.

A tip for the best time to take him would be after a bath. They normally always need to go after a bath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts