Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took Lady for a stroller ride on this gorgeous day and ran into one of my neighbors walking his little Yorkie. Her nails were painted a sparkly fuschia! She looked adorable. I am tempted to try it on Lady. OPI has a line of polish especially for dogs.

Anyone ever painted their Malt's nails?

OPI Pawlish - Dog Nail Polish

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nope, but our (male) cat is about to get some pretty pink and purple Soft Claws! We got bright colors so we could see them in the carpet when they fell off. He's gonna be real pleased with us. :D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It's extremely hard to paint a long-haired dogs' nails without getting the polish in the hair. I used to paint dogs' nails at the boutique i worked at, and one time a shih tzu moved and polish got all over its paw and stained the hair. After that I refused to paint any long-haired dogs' nails...only short haired dogs or poodles with shaved feet from then on

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's extremely hard to paint a long-haired dogs' nails without getting the polish in the hair. I used to paint dogs' nails at the boutique i worked at, and one time a shih tzu moved and polish got all over its paw and stained the hair. After that I refused to paint any long-haired dogs' nails...only short haired dogs or poodles with shaved feet from then on
The Yorkie had her feet shaved to the top of the nails. She really looked cute! I wish I'd had my camera!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I would think, as well, that it would be sort of difficult to paint a long coated dog's toes.

When I was a child we had an elderly neighbor who had a white poodle who always had it's toes painted red and I was completely fascinated with that lady, the poodle and those painted nails....but now as an adult, I have to admit, I would never paint my dog's toes. For me, now it's one of those things I just don't 'get'. Sort of like dog bathing suits or things along those lines.

But if you do paint Lady's nails...please take a photo- that would be great to see how it looks!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
There was a boxer in Coco's obedience school with her nails painted pink.
It was cute.
I like the look.
But if a dog chews on their nails is it potentially dangerous?
It's obviously non-toxic (I assume) , but what about being chewed on?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I've seen a Maltese with hot pink nails at a meet-up, I think it made her look extra girly and it was cute :p

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a boxer in Coco's obedience school with her nails painted pink.
It was cute.
I like the look.
But if a dog chews on their nails is it potentially dangerous?
It's obviously non-toxic (I assume) , but what about being chewed on?
They have special doggie polish and remover that is safe if they chew it.

I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try it, but maybe for Lady's 15th birthday?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
They have special doggie polish and remover that is safe if they chew it.

I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try it, but maybe for Lady's 15th birthday?
Just have fun and do it if you want to. Why not? Actually I was thinking maybe a good way to do a long haired dogs nails would be to poke the nails through pantyhose. I saw that online as a way to use the dremel nail trimmer without catching the hair. It should work well for the polish too ;)

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Just have fun and do it if you want to. Why not? Actually I was thinking maybe a good way to do a long haired dogs nails would be to poke the nails through pantyhose. I saw that online as a way to use the dremel nail trimmer without catching the hair. It should work well for the polish too ;)
Fantastic idea! Thank you for sharing.

Allie

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
My veterinarian has a black standard poodle and I always see her nails painted this bright pink color. I think it looks cute and really stands out against her black coat. I love the pantyhose idea! If you want to and think Lady would hold still for you, I'd say go for it! :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, Marj, go ahead and try it... the great thing about it is you can remove it if you don't like it. Go for it!! :thmbup:

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
I would think, as well, that it would be sort of difficult to paint a long coated dog's toes.

When I was a child we had an elderly neighbor who had a white poodle who always had it's toes painted red and I was completely fascinated with that lady, the poodle and those painted nails....but now as an adult, I have to admit, I would never paint my dog's toes. For me, now it's one of those things I just don't 'get'. Sort of like dog bathing suits or things along those lines.

But if you do paint Lady's nails...please take a photo- that would be great to see how it looks!

I have the same opinion - I just don't get it :blush:

But I have no problems with people painting their dogs nails :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a fantastic idea!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh Marj, your Lady is perfect and beautiful as is. But if you want to try it, and I know you :), you will make sure it's safe, ahhhh give it a try.

Personally, for me, overall, it never appealed to me having their toe nails painted. I'm one of those as well, that just doesn't get it. But that's me. I actually think it takes away from their nautural beauty, when I see the little fur-babies with it done.

But Lady is a dream, so everything and anything looks great on her :)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Ive never done it but ive wanted to. I actually got some special doggy polish in the sale once but i never used it. Floee and Myas hairs too long (plus i dont think they would like it) but its the kind of thing bella would love. Ok i know its sounds weird saying that...but seriously...any kind of pampering and shes over the moon lol she actually gets excited about new hair brushes and hair clips etc!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh Marj, your Lady is perfect and beautiful as is. But if you want to try it, and I know you :), you will make sure it's safe, ahhhh give it a try.

Personally, for me, overall, it never appealed to me having their toe nails painted. I'm one of those as well, that just doesn't get it. But that's me. I actually think it takes away from their nautural beauty, when I see the little fur-babies with it done.

But Lady is a dream, so everything and anything looks great on her :)

I never thought about painting Lady's nails either until I saw the little Yorkie yesterday. She just looked so darn cute!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I say go for it! Lady has lived far longer than anyone ever expected her to and she is still full of sass and spirit. I think painted nails will simply be one more little luxury that she deserves!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts