Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inbetween baths Ollie sometimes gets a little smelly. Have any of you used baking soda to alleviate this. If not, what do you use?

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,981 Posts
Donna---how often is Ollie bathed?
Also scent may be from ears, feet or anal glands---all of which would need to be checked in the event of an odor.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is bathed every three weeks by his groomer b/c I don't want to dry his skin out. Checked his ears, feet and his anal glands were emptied a week ago.

·
Premium Member
17,981 Posts
Since you are worried about drying out the skin I would suggest you add a little healthy fat to his diet and try bathing him a bit more often. You can try olive or coconut oil in small amounts or egg yolk or full-fat yogurt (1 small spoon per day). You can also add a humidifier to the area where he hangs out.
I would not advise anything w/fragrance. I think some of the powder can actually dry out the oil on the skin too.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I give him a tsp. of pumpkin a day....okay to still give him the oil? I have olive oil...just a few drops...1/4 tsp.? Right now there is a humidifer on!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
If it's just doggie odor (esp when they go outside to potty), I use this
Miracle Air

I just spray lightly. For urine smell, I will use baby powder, esp on my full coated dogs. Or cornstarch - have not tried baking soda and honestly dont' know anybody who has used it.

He can be bathed more frequently than 3 weeks. My show dogs are bathed every 3-5 days and sometimes every day when we are at shows with no skin drying issues.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,981 Posts
Since you are worried about drying out the skin I would suggest you add a little healthy fat to his diet and try bathing him a bit more often. You can try olive or coconut oil in small amounts or egg yolk or full-fat yogurt (1 small spoon per day). You can also add a humidifier to the area where he hangs out.
I would not advise anything w/fragrance. I think some of the powder can actually dry out the oil on the skin too.
Every dog is different & it would depend on the rest of the fat in the diet---but start w/1/4 tsp. & see how the stool is. I alternate my fats and have not had a problem w/loose stools from it. Good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
milos face sometimes gets a little smelly from leftover food sticking to his mouth or the clear liquid from his eyes drying out. I wash his face every other day with a damp cloth and this helps a lot. Also brushing their teeth often will help , because sometimes they lick themselves.

i brush his fur every few days with some tropicana spritzed on the brush and this keeps him smelling fresh till his next bath

Inbetween baths Ollie sometimes gets a little smelly. Have any of you used baking soda to alleviate this. If not, what do you use?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts