Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Does anyone out there have one of those glass panels with the doggie door at the bottom that is used in a sliding glass door? I am trying to figure out what size I need for Jack who is about 6 lbs. He is 10 months old and I believe he is done growing. He can fit through the door when I leave it open 5 inches which is what the size small width is. I am concerned over the rise and the actual height of the flap. The size small is 7 inches high and the rise (what the dog steps over) is 2 inches. I am not sure if this is too small or not. Does anyone have any idea? Do they duck their heads when they go through? Thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
We have the one from Dr's Foster and Smith, it's the smaller one. It was a bit expensive, but WELL worth the money. We really like it. Sis is 4.5 lbs and she has plenty of room to get in and out.

Dr. Foster and Smith

·
Registered
894 Posts
Kristi, yeah I saw that one too. We don't have to worry about any other "critters" climbing in as the porch is FINALLY enclosed.......but that one was really neat!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I just thought it was cool. I would be worried about Lexi going outside by herself. It would be cool it you had an enclosed "kennel" type thing right next to the house and the dog could go through the door out to the kennel.

Maybe someday when I get a house I'll do something like that.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Mar 29 2005, 03:08 PM
I just thought it was cool.  I would be worried about Lexi going outside by herself.  It would be cool it you had an enclosed "kennel" type thing right next to the house and the dog could go through the door out to the kennel.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47239
[/QUOTE]

We are thinking about closing in our deck in such a way that Brink could do this..I HOPE! We are either going to look for very narrow spaces between the slats, or no slats and a good solid gate to the steps. Our deck is not huge, but at least he could go outside some...but we don't know what to do about the cats to keep them from going out too. So, we have contemplated screening it in as well...but need the $$ first.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Mar 29 2005, 02:10 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Mar 29 2005, 03:08 PM
I just thought it was cool.  I would be worried about Lexi going outside by herself.  It would be cool it you had an enclosed "kennel" type thing right next to the house and the dog could go through the door out to the kennel.

We are thinking about closing in our deck in such a way that Brink could do this..I HOPE! We are either going to look for very narrow spaces between the slats, or no slats and a good solid gate to the steps. Our deck is not huge, but at least he could go outside some...but we don't know what to do about the cats to keep them from going out too. So, we have contemplated screening it in as well...but need the $$ first.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47242
[/B][/QUOTE]

I live on the 3rd floor of my apartment building and I have small deck. The deck has this weird (hard to explain) walls. There is this decorative area cut out of the boards. Basically I don't have to worry about Lexi falling through. It is just wide enough for her to stick her head through to look out. At lunch today I left the screen door open and she kept going out and checking things out. I think this summer she will have a blast going out on it and barking at the people, dogs, leaves, air, etc.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Mar 29 2005, 03:23 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2005, 02:10 PM

[/QUOTE]

I live on the 3rd floor of my apartment building and I have small deck. The deck has this weird (hard to explain) walls. There is this decorative area cut out of the boards. Basically I don't have to worry about Lexi falling through. It is just wide enough for her to stick her head through to look out. At lunch today I left the screen door open and she kept going out and checking things out. I think this summer she will have a blast going out on it and barking at the people, dogs, leaves, air, etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47247
[/B][/QUOTE]

YEAH! That is the kind of thing I am looking for.
I just haven't looked hard enough to find it yet!

·
Registered
894 Posts

[/QUOTE]

We really didn't have a choice. We have hawks and owls here that would grab Sis in a heartbeat. One family of Tree Owls lives in the Saguaro Cactus right next to the house and we have seen them swoop down and grab rabbits! Plus we have the other problem with rattlesnakes!! I totally freaked out whenever she wanted outside and just about beat Joe to death if he even THOUGHT about turning his back on her because she would NOT stay on the porch!! I ended up tying her to the chair on a short lead!! :new_Eyecrazy: :new_Eyecrazy: Glad THAT'S over with.....

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Mar 29 2005, 02:42 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 29 2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2005, 02:10 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47247

YEAH! That is the kind of thing I am looking for.
I just haven't looked hard enough to find it yet!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47253
[/B][/QUOTE]

I'll take a picture of it tonight. All of the dogs in the building love it because they can look out. When I first got Lexi I wouldn't let her go out because I was afraid she would somehow fall. Now that she is bigger I don't have to worry about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts