Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to get my furbaby some doggie steps to get up on the bed and the couch. I have been researching them but I am not sure what type to get. Has anyone gotten the ones that are made of the high density foam? If so can you tell me how you like them. I have hardwood floors and want something that will not slide.

Thanks,
Lynda

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I don't have hardwood floors, but maybe there's something you can put under the stairs to create traction? I've used the foam stairs for Bella for three years now and I coudn't be happier with them. I don't have to worry about her bumping her head on anything, and she doesn't feel trapped on the bed. Harley likes them too, its amazing how fast they took to them. I bought mine at ruffruffandmeow.com if you're shopping around.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
You can actually make your own steps out of the foam installation you can get a home improvement store. There used to be a site that explained how to but its not up anymore.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
My ex made stairs for my boys out of these foam cubes from walmart in the craft dept. He cut them to make the steps and covered it with fabric. on the bottom he used the grippy thing that you put under area rugs to keep them from slipping. It worked really well for the boys....I would post a pic, but I haven't gone to his house to pick up all my stuff yet, lol...I really should do that soon

·
Registered
776 Posts
Being a poor student, I made my own "steps" using a crate (like a Yaffa Block) and two pillows -- one on the crate and one on the floor. Jack uses them to get down off the bed and to climb up (though getting up is a bit harder for him) and I just did it so he won't LEAP off the bed like he really wants to. Don't know if thats a good temporary solution until you can figure out some proper steps... (someday when I come across some money I will get some real steps too)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Originally posted by cindysilver@Nov 4 2005, 10:42 AM
Being a poor student, I made my own "steps" using a crate (like a Yaffa Block) and two pillows -- one on the crate and one on the floor. Jack uses them to get down off the bed and to climb up (though getting up is a bit harder for him) and I just did it so he won't LEAP off the bed like he really wants to.  Don't know if thats a good temporary solution until you can figure out some proper steps... (someday when I come across some money I will get some real steps too) 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116571
[/QUOTE]

i'm poor too LOL and we have a small ottoman. got it at tj maxx or something for $9.99. it's only about 6-8" tall and buttercup is able to easily jettison her way up to the top of anything. i have another ottoman that i bought from my old job (furniture outlet store) for $24.99, it's a full size storage ottoman with no legs, so i just set it next to the bed and she can hop up on it, sleep on it, or let me dump my clothes there when i'm too lazy to hang them back up.

ann marie and the "really, why cant i just be LIFTED up to the bed and the sofa??? it's just easier on everyone, no?" buttercup

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
We used to have a ramp at the end of the bed for Scooby, but I tripped over it one day and smashed my shoulder so that had to go. Now we have one of those little kiddie block foam sofas that fold out to a bed. We keep it at the end of our bed and Scooby uses it all the time. We bought it at Walmart for about $16. Scooby won't use steps at all, neither up or down so this is perfect for him to be able to hop up and down from the bed.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I am to cheap to pay that kind of money for steps, when I didn't know if Puddles would use them or sail right over them.

We made these 6 months ago and still using them. They are made of foamrubber and we covered them a colored sheet to match the room.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i can top the poor stories...i use a cardboard box i put a square of foam on and made a cover

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh you ladies are quite right, why spend big $$$$$ on items like steps etc. only to find that our little furkids won't use them.
We saw some steps on a web site that we thought would be great for Scooby, well the steps were nice and wide and had carpet on them too, just the right height for our bed as well, and like the silly fools we are when it comes to Scooby we went ahead and ordered them. When they arrived we put them in the lounge room to see if Scooby would perhaps get used to seeing them, then we moved them to the bed, and you guessed it, no go from his lordship. Those steps are now in the spare room along with other items we have bought that he won't use.

I am thinking we are going to just stick with the block foam kiddie bed as we know he will use it and never attempts to jump over it to the floor like he did the steps.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Janet -

You should put your steps for sale on the forum. Alot of posters have asked about steps. I love mine. All five of the critters use them, up and down. And because each step has a lid, I also have a toy box, clothes box, and a paper-towel box for accidents. All in one
I'm getting another one for the living room

I was also thinking, I have stairs in my house. I'm sure that's why mine took to them so quickly.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I used the steps from my "Firm" set. They served much more purpose by my bed for Brink than they did to lift my fanny. For a smaller dog/pup...something would have to be even lower than that first -like a pillow or somehting...but it worked well for me.
Now it lifts Brink's fanny...not mine!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Janet -

You should put your steps for sale on the forum. Alot of posters have asked about steps. I love mine. All five of the critters use them, up and down. And because each step has a lid, I also have a toy box, clothes box, and a paper-towel box for accidents. All in one

I was also thinking, I have stairs in my house. I'm sure that's why mine took to them so quickly.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117344

We have steps down to the basement and we go down there a lot too but Scooby refuses to go down, he used to come up but since he had his slight LP we stopped allowing him to do that too so now he just waits to be carried either way, smart little guy I reckon

As for the steps, I thought about selling them but hubby says one day he may get over his fobia, Scooby that is..lol, and perhaps just use them, I doubt it though but we will just leave them where he can sniff them and play the waiting game for a little longer. He did try them but he seems to panic and scampers up so fast that he knocks his back legs on them, and on the down he just leaps right over the top of the whole thing

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Janet -

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117344

We have steps down to the basement and we go down there a lot too but Scooby refuses to go down, he used to come up but since he had his slight LP we stopped allowing him to do that too so now he just waits to be carried either way, smart little guy I reckon

The funny thing is, Billy was the first one to fly up them - LOL - He is very slow and cautious going down. Big Butt Henry, flew up so fast he must have thought there was another step and went flying. I was standing right there and caught him. He's a pro now, though.

If nothing else you could put them in the kitchen and use them for a step-ladder

As for the steps, I thought about selling them but hubby says one day he may get over his fobia, Scooby that is..lol, and perhaps just use them, I doubt it though but we will just leave them where he can sniff them and play the waiting game for a little longer. He did try them but he seems to panic and scampers up so fast that he knocks his back legs on them, and on the down he just leaps right over the top of the whole thing

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117358

1 - 20 of 31 Posts