Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to get my furbaby some doggie steps to get up on the bed and the couch. I have been researching them but I am not sure what type to get. Has anyone gotten the ones that are made of the high density foam? If so can you tell me how you like them. I have hardwood floors and want something that will not slide.

Thanks,
Lynda

· Premium Member
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi All,

My husband and I went to Home Depot and found the high density foam. He has agreed to try and make the steps, (Handy Andy he is not), but he thinks he can do it.. Can anyone who has made them out of the high density foam tell me what you used to glue them together. My husband plans to glue 4 pieces of foam on top of each other to get a 6" step. The guy at Home Depot said to try liquid nails to glue them, any one have any other method or suggestions. After he makes them I will try to cover them. Any suggestions for covering will also be appreciated. I almost ordered a set for $65.00 but then they wanted $20.00 to ship them so we decided to try making them.

Thanks,
Lynda

· Premium Member
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I made the steps today. They are really easy and they only cost us $18.00 for the material, 1 sheet of the foam and a tube of liquid nails. Now I am going to buy some material to cover them. I am a garment sewer and have never covered anything but I just made a pattern and made a cover out of some scrap fabric that I had. It came out pretty good so I will be off tomorrow to buy some faux sheep skin fabric to cover them. If anyone is interested in how we did it let me know and I will be happy to give out the instructions. I will try to post a picture of the stairs uncovered and then one with them covered. Sure beats spending $65.00 and another $20.00 for shipping. The cover I am making will be removable for washing.

Lynda

· Premium Member
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi Pamela,

I did not use soft foam like for bedding. I used the high density foam that is very light weight but very solid feeling like it was wood. I have posted pictures of it in my gallery. The finished size is 20" deep 24" wide and 12"high. We used 2" thick foam. We cut 3 pieces 20" X 24" and glued them together, one on top of the other to make a 6" step. Then we cut 3 more pieces 10" X 24" and glued them together one on top of the other and then on top of the 1st step that we made. Eash step is 10" deep. The liquid nails was very easy to use. No mess at all. The only mess was cutting the foam. To cut it we used a regular kitchen knife. Not hard to do but messy. We have an ottoman at the end of our bed so we only made the stairs 12" tall because she can then jump onto the ottoman and then onto our bed. As you can see I have not covered them yet. I bought the material this morning and it is now in the dryer, (I always wash and dry my material before I use it.) As soon as I get the cover made I will post another picture. I just hope it comes out as good as the scrap one that I made.

Lynda

· Premium Member
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I finished my dogie steps. They are very light weight but even I can stand on them. They are very solid. Now I just have to teach Chloe how to use them. She is very timid on them right now. I took pictures, they are in my photo gallery. Let me know what you think.

Lynda

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.