Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog Flu - Myths and Information - Good Website

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: see below
Date: 2005-11-19, 2:20PM EST

The following is a link to the CDC's Media Briefing on Canine Influenza (From September, 2005)(http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/transcripts/t050926.htm)

It explains certain things and debunks some of the myths.

It states the following:

1. This disease is not as deadly as people want to make it. Although it's a new pathogen in dogs and nearly all dogs are susceptible to infection based on our knowledge about the virus to date, about 80 percent of them will have a mild form of disease, just characterized by cough and maybe some nasal discharge that will resolve over time with appropriate therapy.

2. Only a minority of dogs, a small number of dogs, experience complications such as pneumonia, just like the humans infected with influenza, certain populations of humans are more prone to development of pneumonia. And it's a small number of humans compared to everyone else.

3. Only a small population of dogs that will develop complications, most likely bacterial complications and these dogs do need to be--have their treatment supervised by a veterinarian.

4. Since not all dogs will show a clinical syndrome, showing that they have a respiratory infection, there is a minority that are infected with the virus, but will not show clinical signs to announce to everybody that “I am sick.” And it is very difficult to find these dogs in the dog population. And we're working on a more rapid means of identification.

5. Most of all that this is not the deadly virus that certain sources have played it up to be.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh thanks for posting this information, it does ease the mind a bit to know that it isn't as bad as we first thought.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, me too. I was getting a little paranoid with the first notice I got from a friend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts