Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I use Febreze...that helps some...

But, for the cats...we have three inside...so imagine THAT odor from the litter box area... :wacko:

I found an air freshener that goes up on the wall...(at our local farm store)...and you can set it to spray a spritz every 15, 30, or 45 minutes. It supposedly has an odor neutralizer in it to kill pet odors. Runs on two C or D batteried, I can't remember.

Unfortunately because our house is SO small...the cat food is in the closet next to the bed...so I smell that all the time...and the litter boxes are in the half bath on the other side of the bed...SO ROMANTIC!!!
Our room ALWAYS smelled like cat! :ph34r: No WONDER our "romantic" life was dwindling!!!
And I scoop the boxes at least every night, and sometimes mornings too. One of the boxes is the auto kind that scoops it and traps it in a reservoir thing. I also add baking soda to the litter, and sometimes the carpet fresh baking soda kind that smell good too-So, the boxes are fairly clean as far as litter boxes go with three cats using them.

I had tried all the plug in things-odor absorbers etc...but finally I sprung for this. The contraption was 25 dollars and came with the first can of stuff. It smells like cinnamon. The refills are 3 something..and supposedly last 45 days if you set it at 45 minutes. I set ours at 30, and it lasted about a month. BUT, so far, it has worked the best out of anything I have tried. Well worth the money! It is made by Country Vet...but there are probably other brands out there. You might even be able to find it at a pet supply like petco or petsmart.

I don't get the doggy smell too bad so far-as long as I don't leave the trash with the wee pads in it too long, or someone throws poo in the trash instead of flushing it....Sometimes when I come home from work, the smell about bowls me over-but, if I take out the trash and spray some air freshner (Febreze now makes an air freshner spray-it smells so great! Oust is also good!)-anyway, after spraying and taking out the garbage, it smells fine.

Good luck.
Having pets in the house can be a tiresome job. I dread the thought of someone coming over and thinking my house smells. I like it when people come over for the first time and see my dog...and then three cats wander out! They are so shocked! Some have even told me-they can't believe my house does not smell like animal. (and I am not a wonderful housekeeper-OK-but by no means meticulous!) Trial and error worked for me...but I am sold on these wall units.
If it gets bad in Brinkley's part of the house, I will buy one for the kitchen too.

PS-I tried the new oust fans, glade spritzer things they have that supposedly freshen by intervals.... They are great for a small room-such as a bathroom-to keep the air smelling nice, but not for bigger rooms. It was not strong enough to overpower the cat food/box smell in my room...and it is not even a large room.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I had the doggy smell in my apartment last month. Here is what I did. Right before I went to bed I sprayed Nature's Miracle over all of the carpet. This helped. The next day (a Saturday) I was going to be gone for a few hours. I sprayed Febreeze all over the carpet. I started at the back of the apartment and sprayed my way out of it. When I got back 3 hours later the doggy smell was gone. It has not come back either.

If you do this make sure you do it when no one (including animals) are not going to be home. The smell of the Febreeze can be a little over powering when you first spray it. I got the Febreeze that is scented.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
our doggy smell definitely happened when the dogs were puppies. it probably went away when they were around 5 months old. i dont know what it was. i hate that puppy smell now. lol.

·
Registered
994 Posts
my house doesnt smell because i have a smell fetus! What i do is i have plug ins all over the house i also every time i throw away his wee wee pads i spray this foam carpet freshner on the rugs i keep maxi's food in bowls on a tray on top of a wood floor during the day im at work but as soon as i get home i change his food i also wipe down the tray every day and the floor, i spray freshner all the time basically if you keep everything clean and fresh you it should help i would also wash your quilts every few weeks which i also do because he plays on my bed sleeps on my bed and chews his bones on my bed this morning i found one under the covers when i was making my bed lol he must have been chewing during the night under he covers he is such a cutie!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts