Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well, I have to say ... some ... dogs are smart <_<

I also saw that article and it is great and amazing! We had a boarder collie years ago and she was incredible! She would learn a new command in one try. She would get up in the morning and wait by the door to go get the paper for us, nothing distracted her from her task... she would run out and grab in and return very quickly. She also knew when and where to get out mail down the block. It was a very sad day when we had to let her go.

Tiki on the other hand is at the opposite end of the scale
. He knows his name; when he wants to. He knows what a treat is and the sit command. He knows when it is bed time and where to go to bed (in my bed ). He knows the sound of his treat jar for sure! We have tried to teach him more, but to no avail. He sees the treat he sits and sits and sits; looking at you with those beautiful eyes with an expression of "well, I am sitting, what more do you expect?"

I have to say though he is the most loveable dog I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and I would trade him for anything!

Judi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, tiki sounds like ellie!! well, today the dog trainer is coming. i want them all to know the basics 100%. sprites pretty good at doing the basic stuff without treats. she just wont do 'rollover' unless i have a treat. i honestly believe that all dogs can be as smart as that dog in the article. its just that when you look into a malts face, you just think "awww, they're too pretty to be smart". LOL. my mom was telling us that we should just put gruffi into training and not the girls. (she's mean). i'll tell you what happens tomorrow!! i cant wait!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yes, good luck. Please let us know how the training is going.... Maybe we can all learn something.

Judi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FIRST DAY!!!

ok, so the trainer came. it was totally awesome. i read the book GRR by Uncle Matty (matthew margolis) and there are some tests to do to see if your dog is aggressive: (roll him on his back on his spine and stand there, stare into his eyes and a skin tug test...theres a few more, but i forget)

results:

Gruffi---Fear and Dominant Aggressive

Ellie--Dominant (but not aggressive)

Sprite--Fear Aggressive and Submissive (BUT--she's Alpha Dog, and Ellie's second in command)

Gruffi and ellie fight all the time because they're both dominant. but it turns out that a lot of the "fighting" was really playing. (i couldnt tell).

Connie (she's the trainer) has a chihuahua and has been training with uncle matty for 6 years. Anyway, she fitted Gruffi for a "correction collar" which is a Choke Chain, and sprite and ellie wear a nylon "correction collar".

this is what it looks like:
http://www.dog-training.com/wcnyloncollar.htm

i was a little scared to put it on sprite and ellie because of the collapsed trachea thing....but she put it on my wrist and it isnt even as bad as when they pull when they have their collars on. it feels like a little pull on the left side.

and she also gave us 2 spray bottles of water. so when they bark excessively or when sprite tries to bite peoples pants when they leave....i squirt them in the face.

i get 9 sessions and each will be 2 hours long. and we meet every 2 weeks. eventually we're going to be meeting her at public places for training. im soooo excited.

oh, and check this out...i was like "my trainer was karen ross" and she was like "the nazi trainer?". it was sooo weird. i guess a lot of people know that karen sucks as a trainer. ....sucks that a lot of people had to experience that though, you know?

next tuesday is my next lesson and i'll tell you guys how that goes. :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'm really enjoying hearing about the training for Sprite, Ellie & Gruffi. What I'd like to know is why is using the collar better than the halter? They both give you control......?

Looking forward to hearing more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts