Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A NEW South Wales man's ears were ripped off by his three pet American pit bulls after they turned on him and mauled him.

The 49-year-old man is in serious condition in John Hunter Hospital following the attack yesterday in the backyard of his Ellalong home, near Maitland on the central coast.
The man's ears were torn from his head after the dogs dragged him to the ground in the attack about 5pm (AEST), a police spokesman said today.

He also suffered deep wounds to his face, arms, legs and stomach.

Neighbours called police when they heard the man crying for help.

The dogs were later destroyed at the owner's request, the spokesman said.

Advertisement:
Yesterday's attack follows an incident last month in which a 19-month-old girl was mauled by a pit bull in the backyard of her Bass Hill home in Sydney's west.
In May, the State Government announced it would ban pit bull terriers and other dangerous dog breeds following attacks on a five-year-old boy and a 75-year-old man.

<span style="font-family:Optima">I just wanted to post this article I have just read in an Australian News Paper. I know I have always been on the defensive of larger breeds of dogs but just wanted people to know it is not just here in the US that these attacks occur.</span>

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Oct 5 2005, 01:48 PM
A NEW South Wales man's ears were ripped off by his three pet American pit bulls after they turned on him and mauled him.

The 49-year-old man is in serious condition in John Hunter Hospital following the attack yesterday in the backyard of his Ellalong home, near Maitland on the central coast.
The man's ears were torn from his head after the dogs dragged him to the ground in the attack about 5pm (AEST), a police spokesman said today.

Advertisement:
Yesterday's attack follows an incident last month in which a 19-month-old girl was mauled by a pit bull in the backyard of her Bass Hill home in Sydney's west.
In May, the State Government announced it would ban pit bull terriers and other dangerous dog breeds following attacks on a five-year-old boy and a 75-year-old man.

<span style="font-family:Optima">I just wanted to post this article I have just read in an Australian News Paper. I know I have always been on the defensive of larger breeds of dogs but just wanted people to know it is not just here in the US that these attacks occur.</span>
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106573
[/QUOTE]

What a disturbing article!

I can't speak for Pit Bulls, as I have never owned one and have never heard anything good about them.

But not all big dogs are bad dogs. And some breeds that are labled vicous are not fairly judged. I own a German Rottweiller. He was bread to be a show dog but got Parvo at 6 months old and it stunted his growth. He was given to us by the breeder. He has a beautiful sweet spirit and the best personality. He is huge and I pay out the rear for my home owners insurance because of him. But he is the sweetest baby you will ever meet. He has no clue how big he is and still tries to sit in my lap. When one of us is sick he hovers worse than any good mother. He is protective of my children to a fault, to the extent that we don't take him to public places because if some one were to act menacing toward them or me he would probably hurt the person. Granted, anyone who is stupid anough to threaten me in front of him probably deserves to get hurt. He is as much a member of my family as my children and husband are.

The article doesn't say, was this owner good to his pets or were they left in the backyard and let run wild? That makes all the difference in the world. Dogs are pack animals. Was he a member of their pack?

I don't think it's fair to condemn all the dogs do to bad breeding and irresponsible owners. JMO

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by abkadefkey+Oct 5 2005, 05:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Scoobydoo
@Oct 5 2005, 01:48 PM

Advertisement:

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106573
What a disturbing article!

I can't speak for Pit Bulls, as I have never owned one and have never heard anything good about them.

But not all big dogs are bad dogs. And some breeds that are labled vicous are not fairly judged. I own a German Rottweiller. He was bread to be a show dog but got Parvo at 6 months old and it stunted his growth. He was given to us by the breeder. He has a beautiful sweet spirit and the best personality. He is huge and I pay out the rear for my home owners insurance because of him. But he is the sweetest baby you will ever meet. He has no clue how big he is and still tries to sit in my lap. When one of us is sick he hovers worse than any good mother. He is protective of my children to a fault, to the extent that we don't take him to public places because if some one were to act menacing toward them or me he would probably hurt the person. Granted, anyone who is stupid anough to threaten me in front of him probably deserves to get hurt. He is as much a member of my family as my children and husband are.

The article doesn't say, was this owner good to his pets or were they left in the backyard and let run wild? That makes all the difference in the world. Dogs are pack animals. Was he a member of their pack?

I don't think it's fair to condemn all the dogs do to bad breeding and irresponsible owners. JMO
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106725
[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% not all large breeds are dangerous and I too once owned a huge rottie male, he was intact too, as the breeder had breeder's rights, that was part of the deal being a club bred dog. He was the gentlest giant and also loved nothing more than to sit on my lap and smooch all over my face. He had a head on him like a black bear, in fact I had a problem finding a collar to fit him his neck was so thick. That boy was the best, very protective of me and his burmese cat brothers and our sulphurcrested cockatoo, they all used to play together.
My reason for posting this article simply was to show that it is not just a problem here in the US with some dogs attacking people. I still think the owners have a lot to answer for in most attacks because they obviously have no idea how to be responsible with their pets and their training. A well trained and looked after dog is not going to be a risk to anyone if kept under full control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.