Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question I have wondered for a long time.

If dogs have such a keen sense of smell, why do they seem so interested in smelling stinky things? :blink:

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm wondering the same question! Maybe they think strong odors smell good....
:blink:

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
We don't smell things to communicate. We smell things we believe to be pleasurable. But when we smell say brownies baking we want some. They smell things that communicate to them. When they do the doggy to doggy greeting (butt sniffing) they can tell right away if the other dog is healthy, what sex, and how old. Aren't you glad we use a hand shake? So the stinky things tell them something other then "it stinks!" Did this help?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I think it may stem back to the wolf mentality. Wolves would roll in dead carcasses of other animals to camoflauge themselves against predators.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For cat poop, dogs can smell sooo well that they can smell the cat food in the poop which not only causes smelling it but eating it. I think this can be said for just about all poop.
As for things like garbage, yes we know that it's gone bad but I think furbabies see mold as an extra topping!

Sorry for how icky this post is. :p

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
great thead, I have always wondered why Matilda and B&B would chose something stinky:yucky: over something that smelled good to me, now I no.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
I don't know, but why is it that they seem to search for a treat that is only a foot or 2 away from them (close enough to see it) ? are there too many scents/distractions ? maybe they aren't that hungry.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I think it may stem back to the wolf mentality. Wolves would roll in dead carcasses of other animals to camoflauge themselves against predators.
:LOL: do you think that is why Lola rubs herself all over mens feet when they come in the door?:w00t:

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:LOL: do you think that is why Lola rubs herself all over mens feet when they come in the door?:w00t:
:HistericalSmiley:probably!

Both mine try to rub themselves all over their dog beds and rugs right after their bath. I guess they are too clean at that point!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts