Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Tuck and I started walking Monday. I thought it would help him not to be so antsy, since he is pretty much alone for eight hours while I’m at school/work and my husband is at work. It's going really well, but I have a few questions like...

How long should I walk him for?
How can I stop him from running and choking himself?
and...
What do when we want to go in different direction?

I know you ladies can help me, ya’ll always do!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You can walk him as long as he wants to keep going. When Mikey was a young, healthy dog, he would walk 2+ miles per day. Watch for him to slow down or pant heavily. Don't walk in the heat of the day.

You can train him to walk on a loose leash. I like to use a clicker and click when the dog is in the right place (you start with a step or two, building up slowly). If you need a tool to help you, I would use either a Gentle Leader head halter or the Gentle Leader harness to give you an edge while you work on rewarding him for walking nicely on a loose lead. Obedience class can help you with this.

You can teach him left and right or ask him to watch you when it is time to turn.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
One thing I learned in a doggy training class was to keep the leash loose. Of course, I use a harness, never a collar. But I was keeping a tight leash and that is uncomfortable... so the trainer said to keep a loose leash when she was walking the right way. Going to a class can really help with the dog (and you!) learning to heal....

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We also walk Miko since we are away for the day. I ususally walk him for at least 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night. He loves it!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Do you guys put shoes on when you walk them? I dont really want to do this but I feel like everwhere we walk there are hazzards all over the ground especially broken glass. I am always afraid that she is gonna get a piece stuck in her feet.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Oct 7 2005, 07:47 PM
Do you guys put shoes on when you walk them?  I dont really want to do this but I feel like everwhere we walk there are hazzards all over the ground especially broken glass.  I am always afraid that she is gonna get a piece stuck in her feet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107665
[/QUOTE]

Nope...I do try to stay off hot black pavement in the summer (walk in the woods or on the sidewalk).

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Oct 7 2005, 05:47 PM
Do you guys put shoes on when you walk them?  I dont really want to do this but I feel like everwhere we walk there are hazzards all over the ground especially broken glass.  I am always afraid that she is gonna get a piece stuck in her feet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107665
[/QUOTE]

We don't use shoes and I am just careful about where Miko walks. I know there are hazards out there but the chance of him stepping on broken glass is very slim. I think even though he is a toy dog, he is still a dog and enjoys time outside and I can't stand in his way!! However, shoes are a good idea if you can get her used to them

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
First, OKW...I love the new pictures. So cute.

Now walking, I heard when I first got Teddy that if you wanted them to stop them from pulling that you could just turn your body in a different direction so as you walk and the little one starts to pull you turn to the right or left and just stand still...they will turn to see what you are doing and thus stop the pulling. It worked great for Teddy and I....I don't know who to credit with the advise because it was over a year ago and maybe that person will see this and fill you in a bit more. Teddy is always looking back to see what I am doing. And he very rarely pulls anymore unless we are just getting going and he is overly excited.

The other thing is to always make sure they have a harness and not a collar....this to me is the most important thing we can stress to anyone who has these little ones. Teddy actually has such a sensitive trechia that when I first went to take off the harness it hurt him...the episode made us bond because I realized right away the problem and we slowed down the taking off and he helped me to do it better for him.

Teddy walks with me about 2 - 3 miles a day....and there have been a couple times when I know he wants to stop early...he just has a way of letting me know. He will turn towards home...but in the beginning when he was small, I would pick him up and carry him a bit to give him a little rest. now he would never let me do that....unless he was really tired.

As for shoes, if you can get your little one to do that, I think it is a great idea....Teddy has gotten little spurs in his paw a couple of times and I pick it up right away because Teddy lets me know that something is amiss...but I know it hurts him and having the shoes would keep that from happening especially if you think there is glass around.

I am a little drugged up right now...so if the turning to avoid the pulling is not making sense please ask me...hopefully tommorrow will be a better day and I will not need meds and I will sound a bit more intelligent. Then again maybe not.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Oct 9 2005, 07:23 PM
First, OKW...I love the new pictures.  So cute.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107964
[/QUOTE]

Susan, Thank you!! We just got Miko groomed today (short) since I will be doing externships in San Francisco for next 2 months and Miko will be living with his daddy (his pic is in the signature) -- which means his hair will hardly be brushed and he will be rolling around having fun!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Miko looks wonderful! Now I'm motivated to cut Lady again! I think that is the perfect Maltese haircut for most of us as it's no fuss, but since the face and tail are kept long, they still look very much like a Maltese.

He is one handsome boy!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 10 2005, 06:46 AM
Miko looks wonderful! Now I'm motivated to cut Lady again! I think that is the perfect Maltese haircut for most of us as it's no fuss, but since the face and tail are kept long, they still look very much like a Maltese.

He is one handsome boy!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108011
[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much!! I always tell Miko he is beautiful (and my husband gets jealous
). He has longer hair in the picture with his eyes closed (he is in the sun). But his coat is really just too cottony which makes it hard to upkeep, and my husband is not too excited about brushing it daily while I am gone, so we just cut to to a puppy cut.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts