Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am a new member. We have two female pups, 12 weeks old, from the same litter, but Molly is much larger & heavier than her sister Maisie. Molly does not like any attention being paid to Maisie in the form of play, grooming or cuddles. She charges into Maisie & starts mouthing & nipping at her. She also jumps on her using her full body weight. When we use toys to play with the dogs, Molly will drop her toy & grab Maisie’s toy. She does not respond to the word ‘no’. Maisie can retaliate but being much smaller I am worried that she will become hurt. I do not want to encourage this type of behaviour in either pup. It’s becoming quite difficult to manage Molly’s dominance/ jealousy now & so we keep them apart as much as possible with Maisie being on the sofa & Molly being on the floor. However, in other ways they are quite close as they eat together and live to sleep cuddled up very close together. Molly chews everything in sight & rips up her training pads, despite us using the Spray Off product where required. Has anyone any advice please?

· Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I imagine this is not uncommon when you take 2 puppies from the same litter. Their mom is not there any more to make them behave. I have never dealt with multiple puppies. In fact, I have only had one true puppy. But I have had multiple adults for many years.

You probably should get advice from someone better qualified, either from home experience or better yet, a qualified trainer who uses positive methods.
But my amateur advice would be: Give them each some separate playtime and other types of attention, out of sight of the other. Don't leave toys lying around. Maybe encourage them to play with you more, rather than each other. Intervene and take toys away and end playtime when the larger one gets aggressive. Do regular training, again, separately -- or have two people participate in the training at the same time, each person handling one dog and using the same methods and commands. You could take them on leashed walks together, so you can control them while giving them an enjoyable time together

Again, this is out of my area of experience, and I will definitely defer to anyone with more relevant experience, especially a trainer who uses positive methods!.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I imagine this is not uncommon when you take 2 puppies from the same litter. Their mom is not there any more to make them behave. I have never dealt with multiple puppies. In fact, I have only had one true puppy. But I have had multiple adults for many years.

You probably should get advice from someone better qualified, either from home experience or better yet, a qualified trainer who uses positive methods.
But my amateur advice would be: Give them each some separate playtime and other types of attention, out of sight of the other. Don't leave toys lying around. Maybe encourage them to play with you more, rather than each other. Intervene and take toys away and end playtime when the larger one gets aggressive. Do regular training, again, separately -- or have two people participate in the training at the same time, each person handling one dog and using the same methods and commands. You could take them on leashed walks together, so you can control them while giving them an enjoyable time together

Again, this is out of my area of experience, and I will definitely defer to anyone with more relevant experience, especially a trainer who uses positive methods!.
Thank you very much for your advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts