Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I'm new here and am so excited that I found this site!

I have my first maltese, Oliver, he is 8 months old. He makes me smile each and every day... I absolutely love him. I wish I could have found this site when I was searching for the perfect maltese. I would have loved to get info on breeders.

I got Ollie from a wonderful lady who owns Donale Maltese in Ohio. She's really great. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of them? Have any experiences? It would be so funny if our dogs are related!

I look forward to meeting all of you! :D

Thanks,
Kate

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Hi Kate,
Welcome to the list! Please send photos of Ollie. We would love to see him. I do remember visiting Nancy's site before and I just love Gabe who she owns!
Charmaine

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I tried contacting them. I live in Concord and I believe they are located in Perry? Would have been very close to me. Instead I found a wonderful breeder outside of Pittsburgh. I don't know anything about them except I never got a reply back from my email.

Congrats on your little one. My Lacey will be a year old next month. I don't know what we did before her. She is such a little character. I keep telling her she is suppose to be a little princess but she thinks she is a big dog that can rough house!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
welcome to the SM family!!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well, nosey me, I had to check out Donale's with the USDA lists and I'm delighted and happy to report they do not show up on either Broker or Breeder list!!!!!

Now I'll go take a gander at Georgeous Gabe until we get a picture of Oliver posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pico's parent,

How do you check the usda list? when I was researching breeders, I was trying to be so careful in choosing the right person. That type of info is so important to perspective buyers. Especially with dog sales online.

I think I got a picture working... Now I have to get fancy and put a collage together for my signature... Looks like today is going to be very productive at work

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Oh, what a precious little Oliver! He has such big eyes....

Put this web site url in your Favorites list and you can find out a lot about puppymills and brokers/breeders.....Prisoners of Greed

The US dept of Agriculture registers or licenses animal breeding operations who have 50 or more animals. Thus, puppymills fall under this regulation and the USDA lists on the above website will clue you in if you look for a breeder/broker name. They are listed by state to help you find it more easily.

Unfortunately, the USDA inspectors seem to be overwhelmed with the number of breeders of all sorts they must inspect and it seems they leave the puppymills to last. So these people operate pretty much unregulated and uninspected and are free to pursue their greedy business at the expense of animals that we have domesticated and call "pets".

I was so ignorant of any of this when I acquired Pico. He was given to me by my granddaughter who realized she just didn't have the time for a puppy after all......her aunt bred her Maltese under supervision of her Vet and offered one of the puppies to her. The aunt kept the other two siblings and now has 3 of the fluff-butts running around! She has neutered and spayed them all.

I originally was told about the MO website but I surely like this one 1000 times better. Where even an excitable poster does not get kicked off but is instead gently counseled by more level headed posters. We're all for the Maltese breed!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pico's parent,

I used to be on the MO website, and agree that this is so much better! I'm still getting used to the fact that you can use brand names and breeder names on here... I almost felt guilty mentioning the name of my breeder, but she really was wonderful.

Thanks for all the USDA information. It's good to know.

Pico is too cute!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old post... Just had to share my recent unfavorable experience with this breeder. I inquired about a tiny pup on her site and after three emails and questions like babydoll faces, silky coat, size, pup's sire and dam, champion lines, getting recent photo, etc - she emailed me back stating she did not feel comfortable placing a pup with me, which was fine but then came the personal attacks
- she stated that I obviously was not happy with my current maltese and that I should be happy with what I have because she deserves to be loved. She felt I was looking for a new maltese because I was unhappy how Abbey turned out! How ridiculous! Abbey is beautiful, to me!! I wouldn't trade her for anything!

Where this came from, I have no idea! I had stated to her a was looking to possibly getting a playmate for Abbey.

I was so upset to be judged like that!
Like I was unworthy to have one of her pups! She did not even ask 1 question about me!

In her exact words... The markets are flooded all year round with cheap although unattractive dogs...so grab one of those bargain bred dogs. Well, I will definately search backyard breeders (being careful). At least they treat you with respect when you call with questions! But not anytime soon, these so called "reputable" breeders have me too sour to continue my search so Abbey will have to wait for a playmate for now!

Sorry so long - Just wanted others to know my experience with this breeder.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by olliesmom@Feb 6 2005, 01:11 PM
Hello Everyone!  I'm new here and am so excited that I found this site! 

I have my first maltese, Oliver, he is 8 months old.  He makes me smile each and every day... I absolutely love him.  I wish I could have found this site when I was searching for the perfect maltese.  I would have loved to get info on breeders. 

I got Ollie from a wonderful lady who owns Donale Maltese in Ohio.  She's really great.  I was just wondering if anyone has heard of them?  Have any experiences?  It would be so funny if our dogs are related! 

I look forward to meeting all of you!  :D

Thanks,
Kate
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33810
[/QUOTE]
Ollie is so cute....welcome to SM. I think that you will find things much more friendly here.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Nov 7 2005, 09:30 PM
Sorry to bring up an old post... Just had to share my recent unfavorable experience with this breeder.  I inquired about a tiny pup on her site and after three emails and questions like babydoll faces, silky coat, size, pup's sire and dam, champion lines, getting recent photo, etc - she emailed me back stating she did not feel comfortable placing a pup with me, which was fine but then came the personal attacks 
- she stated that I obviously was not happy with my current maltese and that I should be happy with what I have because she deserves to be loved.  She felt I was looking for a new maltese because I was unhappy how Abbey turned out!  How ridiculous!  Abbey is beautiful, to me!!  I wouldn't trade her for anything! 

Where this came from, I have no idea!  I had stated to her a was looking to possibly getting a playmate for Abbey.

Like I was unworthy to have one of her pups! She did not even ask 1 question about me!

In her exact words... The markets are flooded all year round with cheap although unattractive dogs...so grab one of those bargain bred dogs.  Well, I will definately search backyard breeders (being careful). At least they treat you with respect when you call with questions!  But not anytime soon, these so called "reputable" breeders have me too sour to continue my search so Abbey will have to wait for a playmate for now!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117730
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Don't let the experience with just one breeder affect your plans. Just keep on going. Obviously something just didn't click with you and that one. I'm not sure how you can be careful when it comes to BYB. I would still stick with the best you can afford.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Nov 7 2005, 09:30 PM
Sorry to bring up an old post... Just had to share my recent unfavorable experience with this breeder.  I inquired about a tiny pup on her site and after three emails and questions like babydoll faces, silky coat, size, pup's sire and dam, champion lines, getting recent photo, etc - she emailed me back stating she did not feel comfortable placing a pup with me, which was fine but then came the personal attacks 
- she stated that I obviously was not happy with my current maltese and that I should be happy with what I have because she deserves to be loved.  She felt I was looking for a new maltese because I was unhappy how Abbey turned out!  How ridiculous!  Abbey is beautiful, to me!!  I wouldn't trade her for anything! 

Where this came from, I have no idea!  I had stated to her a was looking to possibly getting a playmate for Abbey.

In her exact words... The markets are flooded all year round with cheap although unattractive dogs...so grab one of those bargain bred dogs.  Well, I will definately search backyard breeders (being careful). At least they treat you with respect when you call with questions!  But not anytime soon, these so called "reputable" breeders have me too sour to continue my search so Abbey will have to wait for a playmate for now!

[/QUOTE]
I'm so sorry this happened. Like K/C's mom said, don't let one bad experience ruin your plans. Good luck to you guys.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I agree with K&C's mom and Little Peanut about not letting this bad experience discourage you.

While this breeder obviously had her reasons for not selling a puppy to you (I'm wondering if it is the fact you have a small child), it would have been far better to just be honest with you rather than insulting you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Nov 8 2005, 10:01 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Abbey
@Nov 7 2005, 09:30 PM

I'm so sorry this happened. Like K/C's mom said, don't let one bad experience ruin your plans. Good luck to you guys.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117894
[/B][/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Nov 8 2005, 10:24 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117942
[/QUOTE]

Sorry I pushed the button before adding a reply. Blame it on Glory. She's misbehaving, as usual, and I was watching her

It's a shame that anyone would judge another without knowing anything about them. And, by not asking any questions, I don't see how they can come to any conclusions.
As for the Donale website, I went there, and from what is posted, I don't see that she is involved with showing with either of her breed. It appears that she bought a finished champion from another breeder. She did post that a dog would be entering the ring, but there is no follow up show pictures that the dog was ever show, or won.
There are several breeders who will finish champions, then sell them to others for their breeding program. These people, in turn have a nice dog. Some do well with it, and work to improve their lines. Others just use the pedigree for bragging and to sell pups, and will breed the dog to anything.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts