Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought all dogs did that to a certain degree. Am I wrong? After reading about Sheila, I was shocked. I was living with an aussie shep mix for a few years and he was always chewing on his paws at night time for a brief period until he went to sleep so when my malti kenji did that, I suspected it was dog behavior! Do I need to take him to the vet and have him tested for allergies? Don't all dogs bite on the hairs of their paws??? He hasn't thrown up hair or has been obsessed with chewing on his feet, but I am concerned about allergies since after bathing him, he often seems to go on an "itchy run". He runs around the house hysterically and rubs himself on the carpet as if he either LOVED it or HATED the bath treatment! I noticed it made my hands itchy and red. I am a bit concerned about his food and the shampoo and conditioner from Drs. Foster and Smith.com. I am thinking about changing everything if his behavior is strange.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by babybinks22@Aug 1 2005, 05:23 AM
I thought all dogs did that to a certain degree.  Am I wrong? After reading about Sheila, I was shocked.  I was living with an aussie shep mix for a few years and he was always chewing on his paws at night time for a brief period until he went to sleep so when my malti kenji did that, I suspected it was dog behavior!  Do I need to take him to the vet and have him tested for allergies?  Don't all dogs bite on the hairs of their paws??? He hasn't thrown up hair or has been obsessed with chewing on his feet, but I am concerned about allergies since after bathing him, he often seems to go on an "itchy run".  He runs around the house hysterically and rubs himself on the carpet as if he either LOVED it or HATED the bath treatment! I noticed it made my hands itchy and red. I am a bit concerned about his food and the shampoo and conditioner from Drs. Foster and Smith.com.  I am thinking about changing everything if his behavior is strange.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86333
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, if the shampoo is making your hands red, etc. I wouldn't use it. A lot of us on SM use the Pet Silk products and Bless the Beast products. There are other good ones mentioned on here, also. Does Kenji's food have corn or soy in it?

BTW, running around and rubbing himself on the carpet right after a bath is probably normal but lots of biting and chewing isn't.

Here are some SM topics about shampoo that may help.

Proline?

Pet Silk?

Matts No More

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley does the wild after bath run...
He is almost dangerous he is so wild...We have to move to another room and let him run the track of the floor and couches... :lol:

He also occasionally chews a foot, but it has never been enough to alarm me...I have found he usually does it when his nails are longer and he is bored and/or tired..

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jill licks her feet all the time and she bites on her toenails. It is really noisy and hard to sleep when she does that. It doesn't seem like she has alergies though. Unless it is excessive, I wouldn't worry too much. Just mention to your vet the next time you go.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Alex also licks on his paws from time to time. If it's not obsessive I would not worry about it. Alex has a tendency to do it when his nails and especially the dew claws are getting long.
As for the running around after a bath, I think all dogs do that. But if your hands get red and itchy I would change shampoo.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
for gruffi, we use Relief by DermCare---its a shampoo.

sprite and ellie never chew on their feet. sprite might clean the bottom of her paws with her front teeth--but maybe for like 5 minutes. and thats after a walk.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Msloke@Aug 1 2005, 02:56 PM
I noticed Cassie doing that once and when I checked between the pads, she had a small mat in her fur.  She really wasn't needing the bottom of her feet trimmed yet so I don't know if I had missed it or it matted from her messing with it.  But now when I brush her I make a habit of checking between her toes for any mats or foreign matter.  Probably was bothering her when she walked and she was trying to get it out herself.  Wish they could talk and tell us what's wrong. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86456
[/QUOTE]

I will check between his toes for mats... even though he makes it dang near impossible!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Msloke+Aug 2 2005, 10:00 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2005, 12:27 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Msloke
@Aug 1 2005, 02:56 PM
I noticed Cassie doing that once and when I checked between the pads, she had a small mat in her fur.  She really wasn't needing the bottom of her feet trimmed yet so I don't know if I had missed it or it matted from her messing with it.  But now when I brush her I make a habit of checking between her toes for any mats or foreign matter.  Probably was bothering her when she walked and she was trying to get it out herself.  Wish they could talk and tell us what's wrong.  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86456

I will check between his toes for mats... even though he makes it dang near impossible!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86579

[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean but I made it kind of a game with Cassie. Whenever she is sitting on my lap or we're playing on the floor, I hold one of her feet and lightly rub the bottom her paw briefly, alternating with the others so she gets used to having her paws handled. Then when I need to check for mats, trim her nails or the fur on the bottom of her feet, it's not such a big deal to her. Any, of course, the ever popular bribes...uh, I mean treats. :D

A friend of mine has a couple of pugs and she cannot even touch their paws. I was visiting her and one was sitting next to me and I gently held it's paw and she was just amazed that it would let me do that. I think she was reacting too much to her dog not liking its paw touched so it just compounded the problem. They are smart, intuitive little devils. :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86620
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice! I played with kenji twice today doing the footwork. I used to clip his nails trimmed when he's tuckered out and lazily napping in front of the tv. Now I won't have to be so sneaky about it and disrupt his catnaps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts