Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See how hot it is?? Some dogs have sensitive paws as we do! If you think walking on asphalt or a sidewalk during the summer is any fun.. think about the doggies! It is true. Paws aren't that thick and some dogs have more sensitivity and can even get sunburnt on their backside skin if you don't put sunblock or if you don't have them wear outerwear. They have white coats and pink pigmentation. They can get sunburnt very easily especially on the tops of their heads. Please give them lots of water and MAKE them wear booties. My baby knows its time to go out when I bring his booties out! They might walk funny at first but they get used to it and they are ergonomically engineered to your doggies feet to give them comfort and support. It's better than them licking at their paws because they're burnt!
love lei

·
Registered
313 Posts
thanks for hte tip! i've been thinking about getting l.e. some booties exactly for this reason. the asphalt seems to burn her feet so i try not to take her for walks during the middle of the day.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My kids can't get a good grip on the pavement when wearing shoes. They fall down a lot. Shoes force them to walk, run, and jump in an unnatural way. We've stopped wearing shoes completely in the summer. Instead, we go for walks very early in the morning before it gets hot. No shoes, in my opinion, whether made for dog or human feet, are REALLY designed well for feet. I'd be barefoot all the time if the social norms of where I live permitted it. Check out: http://www.barefooters.org/

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I don't walk any of my dogs in this Arkansas heat. Yesterday, the heat index was 110 degrees. Even when I do my walking after 8:00pm, my feet feel like they are burning through my shoes. My dogs love to go for walks, but they will have to wait for cooler temps.

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">I agree. I dont walk Peaches untill the sun is almost gone, and if not, I just take her for walks in petsmart
</span>

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
I make and sell dog booties, I have a cockapoo who has allgerys and has had a hard time with the pads on his feet. Whenever we take him on walks he always wears his booties. He has been wearing them for 9 years, he doesn't even want to walk without them. We travel and spend winters in Arizona, I have sold many shoes. At first the dog will act real strange with the shoes on. But if you keep them on for a couple hours the dogs begin to enjoy them. My shoes are made of fleece, they are washable and work very well. I swear by the shoes. I sell my shoes for $5.00. I am not on this post to sell my shoes but to let others know how important it is for your furbabys to keep their feet from being sore.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Jul 26 2005, 02:43 AM
My kids can't get a good grip on the pavement when wearing shoes.  They fall down a lot.  Shoes force them to walk, run, and jump in an unnatural way.  We've stopped wearing shoes completely in the summer.  Instead, we go for walks very early in the morning before it gets hot.  No shoes, in my opinion, whether made for dog or human feet, are REALLY designed well for feet.  I'd be barefoot all the time if the social norms of where I live permitted it.  Check out:  http://www.barefooters.org/
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84521
[/QUOTE]

I go along with this whole heartedly, I am an Aussie and I hate shoes and the only time there are shoes on my feet is when I go out and in the very cold Illinois winter, and that is only outside.
I do know in Australia it is illegal to drive a car bare footed, and if you have an accident and you were driving bare footed your insurance will not pay.
As for Scooby wearing boots, I tried that too and he won't have a bar of it. He just simply refuses to walk in them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts