Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm writing from a small country in Europe, we do not have any dog trainers, the one we have, believe in cruelty and hitting dogs until they bleed. I have a Maltese dog his name is RA he is 5years old. 3years ago I have rescued him from a Family member, he has not been groomed since he was a puppy, he lived outside in a cage no interaction with anyone, his entire body was covered with ticks over 70 small pieces, and he had 2 big wounds. I did everything to nurture him back to life. I LOVE HIM MORE THAN ANYTHING. In the process he bit me 2times,both times I finished in the hospital getting stitches, first time my mouth second time my nose. I Had him nurtured 2yers ago, he stopped biting me, we are the best buddies, but the problem I have is that he does not love anyone. Not even my husband, he gets these Moments where he just snaps if my husband tries to kiss me he will bite him, if anybody raises his voice at me even when laughing he starts to get bark and will bite. I have a lot a small nephew but I'm scared to let them play, I'm scared to go on a vacation and leave him at my parents house because I'm scared he will bite someone. HE ALSO BARKS NON STOP AT VISITORS as soon as he hears the doorbell its over, I bought a big cage try to put him in there and then let him out when he is calm, that brings nothing he will go in circles in the cage and jumping up and scratching and still he will bite. I WANT to have Kids, I'm lost and don't want to let him go. I love my dog please help me is there ANYTHING I can do. I CAN NOT GIVE UP ON MY BUDDY.

·
Super Moderator
9,636 Posts
Has he been to the vet to make sure there is not a neurological disorder or some other medical issue?

·
Premium Member
17,390 Posts
Welcome to SM---I wish I had time to write so much to you, but unfortunately at the moment, I have limited time. Thank you for rescuing RA---poor little baby! You are an angel & my heart is heavy for you. This won't be easy to help him, but I am confident that you will do it as you seem determined. He is obviously protective of you & jealous at the same time---you have been to him that which he never had opportunity to experience= love. Please be patient w/him. I think it is normal that he would not want to be caged---can you get a pen for him instead. You could always put his food, water, pee pads & a small bed there for him & get him accustomed to it. He will be safe & others will be safe from him. As much as possible keep him w/you---if you are in the kitchen a lot put the pen there----he needs time to adjust & still be w/you most of the time. I never thought my Lisi would get used to being in & enjoying her stroller---but since she now has cancer she is happy to be w/us & doesn't fight the stroller. She never liked being caged before. She doesn't have energy to walk very far, but loves going on a walk w/her sibling & us in the evening, or early morning. I do think he will always be "your" dog----but it is good if he can learn to be w/your husband sometimes too. I put Kitzi (our boy dog) on the floor so my husband can pick him up to take him outside at night. That makes him less aggressive toward my husband. My husband also tries to walk him at least 2 x a day---just the two of them. It is bonding time.
Let us know how things are going. We want this to work for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has he been to the vet to make sure there is not a neurological disorder or some other medical issue?
thanks for the reply.I honestly didn't hope anyone would answer. Our veterinary station does not have any conditions, nor does it have any equipment. I take my dog to a private vet who loves animals but as he says the equipment is expensive and they have no money to buy a x-ray machine, let alone anything else.I live in a Country where the living standards is very low, and believe it or not I have people everyday saying to me that having a dog in a house is bad luck and that I should throw him outside where a dog belongs.This Vet station is one of the nicest in our town, and this is everything you get when you walk in side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@edelweiss

Thank you so much. I will try to make him feel more safe.. I think that he is insecure and that I'm the only person he feels safe with. When I rescued him I took care of him like he was a baby and carried him around. People didn't want to touch him nor pet him at first because he had a lot of wounds , so they were scared they will get sick or something ( superstition in my country :/ ). I think he is a super sweet dog, so smart never pees around in the house, learned a lot of commands, but around other people he starts barking and will bite, but I will not give up on him. My next move is to try to make him more independent, he needs to sleep in his bed also I think I will just let him bark at our guest eventually he has to stop and I will ask my guest to ignore him ..and give him a treat when he stops barking, maybe that will bring something, its frustrating not being able to sit when we have quest because he will snap at visitors if they sneeze LOL . I only put him in his "" cage "" when we have visitors, and it is not even a real cage. He also hates having long hair :D , as soon as he fells his hair is getting long he tries to pull it and its constantly rolling on the floor trying to get rid of his fur.I really feel for your dog Lisi, and it is super that she has a buddy and a loving caring family <3 I really think that dog become a part of the family and that the bond with them is really unbreakable. I have rescued a big husky dog 6months ago with my husband from a woman ho held him outside she kept him tied up outside on a wire. The wire cut his neck, when I saw the situation I persuaded my husband to go abduct him, because we do not have the competent authorities to take care of this crime. But Ra does not like him at all, and SPOK ( also a boy) he does not care about Ra he is happy to eat and to run and to have a place where he is safe.But in the last 5 day we are going on long walks with both of the dogs trying to get them along and that my Maltese finally makes .. Because the husky one if I try to pet him my Maltese is there to teach me not to :D Thank so much im so happy to be in this group. You are awesome 😀😀🐶🐶🐶🐶 <3

·
Premium Member
17,390 Posts
I understand a bit about what you are saying. I lived abroad for over 43 yrs & esp. in Greece people were not dog friendly---and were actually mean to them. I worked in cultures who thought only of dogs as being "dirty." It broke my heart! You are a kind & generous soul & you will find your way through this maize. I would not let RA around your guests----he is too insecure at this time. You really don't want that to end up hurting someone. I was bit once by my grand-dog on the lip when he came to Greece to visit me---he had taken his first plane ride from the US & it was very stressful for him. He was on the back of the sofa & I was trying to comfort him---he snapped & bit my lip. He loved me, but my timing was off---but I did not know that. He ended up dying w/me in the end & we found our way together. I was broken hearted when he passed & my daughter was in Italy working on her Ph.D dissertation. So just keep working w/him without a lot of expectations. Praise & reward him when he is good & maybe isolate him briefly when he is not able to do what you want. He will learn, but it will take lots of love & patience. We are here to advise you as much as possible. Big hugs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts