Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another thread but someone suggested i create a new thread.
here is what i said.: I also read one of the stickies and the chocolate wa smilk based.

reading this now, DooLittle just got into a table spoon of Chocolate that was attached to a christmas gift ........What should i do, anything to watch for. I also took her to get a parvo shot today. So i am at a loss of what to do or watch for. please someone ?
so far after 1 hr nothing abnormal, she drank water and ate her food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
How much milk chocolate did she have?

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/52-maltese-health-behavior/106596-chocolate-toxicity-chart.html

If she consumed a potentially toxic amount, you need to get her to the vet asap.

How is chocolate toxicity treated?
If you suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate (more than the stray chocolate chip that fell on the floor), call your veterinarian for advice. The toxicity of Theobromine is dose dependent. This means that the size of your pet, the type of chocolate, and quantity of chocolate determine if or how toxic it is for your pet.
There is no specific antidote for Theobromine toxicity. Medical treatmentis supportive, and may include all or some of the following:

  • IV fluids - to prevent dehydration from vomiting, diarrhea, and /or increased urination, and to "flush" the Theobromine out of the system.
  • Emetics - medications that induce vomiting. Used when the ingestion of chocolate is within 4 hours. Up to 6-8 hours post chocolate ingestion may be effective.
  • Activated charcoal - for ingestion greater than 4 hours prior to treatment, or for patients that show continued signs of toxicity.
  • Anti-seizure medications - for patients having seizures and/or muscle tremors.
  • Cardiac medications - for patients exhibiting irregular heart rates or rhythms.
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/nutritiondogs/a/chocolatetoxici.htm
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,468 Posts
Once I came home on Christmas Eve night around 1:30 AM to find 2 very sick dogs from Chocolate toxicity! It was in Europe and no ER clinics, on Christmas eve. in the AM so I cleaned up the "messes" and took the pups to bed w/me not knowing if the shaking dogs would live to see Christmas Day. I had no choice, so I prayed over them and went to sleep finally. Both dogs lived---God was gracious. I was foolish---the chocolate was too high up for them to reach (HA!) Dogs can be very inventive in finding ways to get what they want.
I am sooooo happy that the amount of chocolate your baby got was maybe not large enough to cause toxicity---God is gracious!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DooLittle is a ok :aktion033::aktion033::aktion033: She either didn't eat enough or the parvo shot helped counter what she ingested. Since I had her sleep the whole night with
me, my snorring was probably tougher on her than anything else :w00t:



Great story edelweiss, glad it all worked out, thanks for the info Ladysmom, that chart was very good.

I learned a lesson:smilie_tischkante:
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top