Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We (okay, me ) accidentally have been using the same phrase to ask Dora if she wants to go for a walk every time and she finally learned what it means and will run to the door. It's so cute how she gets so excited! :wub: BUT, I'm a little embarrassed, because she didn't learn the phrase, "Want to go for a walk?" but instead, "Who wants to go walkies??" So Dora learned the word as "walkies" instead of walk. :blush: Oops!

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
I've been trying to use different words - so that when i tell Stan that i'm gonna ...."go down the street" or what ever....he'll know and the kids won't. .....WRONG! They always know exactly what i'm saying....no matter what I call it!!! :w00t::w00t:

They instantly get crazy and tell each other and run to the leashes!!!!!! And the circus begins!!!! :blink: :smilie_tischkante:

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
All I have to say is "walkies" and they're pointing towards the leashes and jumping and spinning! I started saying walkies because if I'd tell Al I was walking to the postbox,I'd get the dust mop mob all excited.
I don't take them w/ me to get the post since the postbox is right along the road and I want them to be scared to get near the road. So far they rarely stray much past the house.Only time they do get close to the road is when I have them on leash.

·
Registered
389 Posts
When I was potty training my flesh and fur children at the same time, I said "see the birdies" to the dog. Now she's 15, very hard of hearing, so I'm outside yelling "see the birdies" every day. My neighbors probably think I'm a crazy bird watcher!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I was potty training my flesh and fur children at the same time, I said "see the birdies" to the dog. Now she's 15, very hard of hearing, so I'm outside yelling "see the birdies" every day. My neighbors probably think I'm a crazy bird watcher!
Now that's a good one!

After the walkies thing, I made my husband start getting on to me for calling Dora "Precious Wecious" because I do it so much I was afraid she would think that was her name. :blush:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Um, some of my fur kids even learned how to spell. Vet, bath, and park. I had to get creative. The park is behind a school, so I'd tell DH we were going to Garrison. The vet became the doctor, bath was soggy doggy time.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
All I have to say is "walkies" and they're pointing towards the leashes and jumping and spinning! I started saying walkies because if I'd tell Al I was walking to the postbox,I'd get the dust mop mob all excited.
I don't take them w/ me to get the post since the postbox is right along the road and I want them to be scared to get near the road. So far they rarely stray much past the house.Only time they do get close to the road is when I have them on leash.
Dora is pretty smart!

I did the same thing as you, Michelle.
My first Malt I taught: "Wanna go walkies??"
Because I didn't want him spazzing everytime someone said the words "walk" or "outside."
So it is beneficial that Dora learned that made up sentence.
Unless, your friends use the word "walkies" frequently in casual conversation! :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
My girls favorite words are "Tookie" (for Cookie), Bye-Bye (to go for a walk or in the car) and Din Din (to get fed).

I think we all make up words but they always seem to understand no matter what I call it. LOL :)

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
haha :D As long as she is excited, it doesn't matter. But know what you mean....trust me you aren't alone in this. Sometimes, I completely forget about the real words and use complete different "made-up" words with the malts. I do it without meaning to: the two look SO CUTE in my eyes, so I go baby-talking to them and making up words

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Cosy always knows when I'm going somewhere, whether it's to get the mail or out for the evening. The giveaway is - I put my shoes on. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I've been trying to use different words - so that when i tell Stan that i'm gonna ...."go down the street" or what ever....he'll know and the kids won't. .....WRONG! They always know exactly what i'm saying....no matter what I call it!!! :w00t::w00t:

They instantly get crazy and tell each other and run to the leashes!!!!!! And the circus begins!!!! :blink: :smilie_tischkante:
:HistericalSmiley: LOL! I can just imagine it!!

:HistericalSmiley:haha!!! I love that you do that out in the yard! That's hilarious.

Cosy always knows when I'm going somewhere, whether it's to get the mail or out for the evening. The giveaway is - I put my shoes on. :LOL:
:HistericalSmiley:LOL! Same scenario here. We don't wear our shoes in the house...so it's always a dead give away when the shoes come on.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
:smrofl::smrofl::smrofl:

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
My Rose & Lily are the same way! When they see me putting on my shoes, they look at me, smile, and wag their little palm tree tails.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
Dora is a smartie! :):yes::yes:
One of our former dogs was an aggressive little maltese :wacko1::wacko1:(who thought he was a Rotweiler) that jerked on the seat belt w/his teeth every time he saw another dog. :smpullhair:
We began to try & avoid dogs---sure! So we would say "aw-oh" and pretty soon he knew an "aw-oh" was another dog & out came the boxing gloves!:HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
My Rose & Lily are the same way! When they see me putting on my shoes, they look at me, smile, and wag their little palm tree tails.:HistericalSmiley:
Oh my goodness! Me too, April!
That is exactly what Paris' tail reminds me of! :yes:
I always picture it as a little palm tree also!
And we don't even have palm trees here.
I've mentioned it to hubby before but he thought I was weird.:blush:

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Our babies are so smart, aren't they? All I have to do is pick up my purse and Teddy goes ballistic. It's funny, though, when I was working, I guess they knew my routine, because they never barked or jumped when I was leaving to go to work... they would just sit there and watch me. As far as going outside, I say "Who wants to go out for some air?" and they all come running...lol.

These maltese babies are way too smart...lol. :wub::wub:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts