Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
this is what was sent to me that made me nervous about coconut oil as this person is a nutritionist, runs a rescue and does a ton of research on animal health and she sent me the info and told me to be careful of internal supplementing with coconut oil because of this - it is a vet study she said any vet can pull up - this being said - dee dee was on it for a year and had blood work and all was fine but not sure of long term effects with use.

Lipid Res. 1980 Nov;21(8):1082-9.

Red cell cholesterol enrichment and spur cell anemia in dogs fed a cholesterol-enriched atherogenic diet.

<A diet supplemented with cholesterol and coconut oil is atherogenic in dogs. The purpose of the present study was to examine the effects of this diet on red cells in pure-bred beagles and greyhounds. Within 3 days after the initiation of this diet red cell cholesterol/phospholipid increased and membrane fluidity decreased, with maximum changes attained by 12 weeks. Serum lipoprotein cholesterol/phospholipid also increased, and serum from cholesterol-fed dogs transferred cholesterol to normal red cells. Significant abnormalities of liver function developed in all cholesterol-fed dogs. Hematocrit declined beginning at 6 weeks, with a parallel increase in osmotic fragility. Reticulocytes were elevated in beagles but normal in greyhounds. Red cell morphology resembled acanthocytes or spur cells. All red cell parameters returned to normal within 4 weeks after stopping the diet. These studies demonstrate that a cholestrol-enriched, atherogenic diet causes profound and reversible changes in the lipid composition, membrane fluidity, and morphology of red cells in dogs.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I use the coconut oil as a treat a couple of times a week only and do not substitute it in their food recipes.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts