Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I initially didn't want to mention this, much less start a whole thread, but I need the support of my maltese mommy friends... Last September I accepted the job I've wanted since I was five years old. I always wanted to work in baseball, and I got the job. It isnt the exact job I wanted, but it was a job I knew I'd excel at and it would also allow me to have a foot in the door in the industry.

Well last week, I was told that my position is being eliminated. Streamlining and restructuring the department, etc etc., not performance related at all. In an effort to keep me, I am being transferred to one of our mall stores 30 miles away (our lowest volume one, at that, BUT it's where there is an opening). And (the kicker here) a 20% pay cut. Now I intentionally moved to the apartment I'm in so I could walk to work and NOT have the expense of gas/car maintenence/garage parking (I get a garage spot at work for free as long as I work in the main office). Now, I have to put money out for all those things that I hadnt planned on, on even LESS of a salary.

I just need to vent. I'm so disappointed. And I am desperately in search of a job, as I havent been able to build up my savings since I've been here. I am only now getting caught up on paying expenses I put out for moving up here...

Buttercup has been VERY good at giving appropriate noselicks and cozytime with mommy. She knows mommy is very sad.

Anyone got any contacts in Cleveland? LOL

Thank you for allowing me to vent and anticipate various shoulders to cry on (even though it's still unclear as to whether or not dogs even have shoulders)...

Noselicks from The Buttercup,
ann marie and the "how dare they take away my throne!" buttercup

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, that is just awful. I can imagine that you feel like the rug has been pulled out from under you, as the saying goes. Are you going to have to buy a car, now to get to the 30 mile away job?

Do you think there is any potential in the new job?

I'm not up on sports teams but is there another team that isn't too far away that you could apply to?

I am truly sorry to hear this. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Boy, restructuring and downsizing? Poorly performing retail outlet? Sounds like the company isn't well managed. I would talk to your HR department and inquire about severance packages. They have made you an offer....what if you refuse? I would also ask them for a listing of all available positions in the company, not only those they view you as being qualified for. I would take a few moments to write down exactly what was said to you and what your response was. Document everything, just in case. Are your hours different in the new position? Are your responsibilities different? I would ask them why they view you as qualified, but not willing to compensate you for those qualifications. Without knowing more...my suggestion is to play a bit of hardball (no baseball pun intended) because what is the worse thing that could happen? You could lose your job...well guess what, that's already happened. Your employer is attempting to negotiate new terms of employment...the ball is in your court (or should I say, over your base) now.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I am so sorry for the position that you are in. You have very tough decisions to make. I really hope that something will come along that'll be even better for you!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am so sorry this has happened to you Ann Marie, I sure hope you can find another position close to home.

Don't give up, I am sure something is just around the corner for you

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I am sorry this is happenning to you. You really sound like a great human being and i`ve always thought that good people shouldn`t be put in this kind of situation. Anyway, i am sure something better is coming for you. There`s always a plan but the road is not easy sometimes. Try to stay positive and that will help a lot and of course i will have you in prayers so everything works out for the better.
Nacho send kisses to you and the gorgeous buttercup!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm with saltymalty... Did they give you options if you refuse? Sometimes they make these awful concessions just knowing you wont accept, and then it becomes your decision to leave. This doesnt sound like the case with you, does it? If you must take the position, I wish you well in finding your next job. A better one with more of everything you want!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I am sorry Ann Marie this is happening to you. I can empathize with you. In a way you are lucky (if you can call that lucky) that they gave you an option. Probably hoping you won't accept it. What about this one :
My daughter was fired (or asked to resign) from her position as General Manager in a restaurant chain because she was earning too much. This is the second time this is happening to her and each time after she worked her ass off for 5 years in the same company. In Arizona, employers don't need a reason to fire you.
Now looking for another job she does not want to go back in the restaurant business because of the long hours involved (not easy to do with a small child), like easily 60 hours/week. She has applied for a lot of jobs but is considered overqualified. Even tho she is willing to accept jobs that don't need her qualification and less money, they won't hire her because they are afraid she won't stay. And she understands that because she did the same thing when she hired people.
Lets hope for the best. Things happen for a reason.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I can only offer lots of Hugs and Kisses from Buttercloud and Noriko!

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Oh Ann Marie, this is terrible news. I am so sorry that this has happened to you. Here is what I know about your situation from my old HR days. Unless of course the laws are different in your area. As far as unemployment compensation, you do not "have" to take a pay cut. Even if they put you in a "lesser" job title they are not supposed to cut your pay.

You said you moved up there. So I am guessing that is not your hometown. A lot of apartment complexes will allow you to break your lease in a situation like yours. I don't know if you have an option to go back home and start over in the job market and relocation, just a thought. If you have been employed for the past 5 quarters you are entitled to full unemployment compensation. I am sure it is not what you are used to earning but it would be something to fall back on if you went back home.

I am sure The Buttercup understands and will be willing to do without new toys and such for a while until you can get back into something more desireable. I have strong shoulders, so feel free to lean on me if you need to. Try to keep your chin up.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks everyone for letting me *vent* and be upset and angry and disappointed and all of the emotions i've been feeling over the last week.

i have spent the last couple of days sending out my resume, looking for openings online and planning on visiting some of them in person, working on cover letters, and old-fashioned networking. i FEEL like i'm making some headway, but it might just be that i feel better doing something as opposed to crying and throwing squeaky toys at the wall. not sure. :D

like saltymalty says, it's not the *best* run department, and the store i'm going to is in a mall that is one of those (in every city lol) that has a couple of anchor stores and a whole lotta vacancies. we're only in there b/c we got a deal on the rent and they paid for our build since they closed another mall we were in and did pretty decent business. it's a horrible mall, and in a pretty unstable economic area, so the people there dont just have superfluous funds to drop...just cuz.

the new position has similar duties, just on a much, much smaller scale. instead of supervising over 100 employees, i'll be overseeing....6. you get the idea. i had plans for t'giving and christmas because the normal offices are closed around that time and we get that time off b/c of all the hours we put in during the season, but now i am expected to work normal mall retail hours then. (try explaining this to my mother who shelled out $$$$ for plane tickets for me and the buttercup) i have been told "you know you cant take your vacation time then, you can use it next week though. use it or lose it!" but why use it when i already had plans made...plans made when i had no idea i was not going to be in that job any longer? arrrggggh.

the kicker is that my supervisor knew i had just renewed my lease and made mention that if i DO get an increase this year, i'll be able to afford to park my car in our own building (instead of in my *free* spot at the ballpark) and keep walking to work. i already talked to our building owner, and she said to break my lease it will "ONLY" cost me $2800 to make up for all the concessions given from my "move in special" and an extra month rent. great! if i HAD that kind of $$$$ lying around, i woudlnt be in this situation to break my lease, now would i????

arrrrgggghhhh. so much of the situation makes no sense. they havent given me a single incentive to stay, that's what bothers me MOST. they recently went on this campaign to keep good people and we need to do whatever it takes to keep good people in the company, even if it means creating a new position for them... etc etc etc. i've been told repeatedly that i AM one of the good people, but this is "all they can do for me".

in baseball terms, i've been outrighted to our class A team.

thanks again for your support. you guys are all awesome. i apologize for taking up a thread and being all selfish, but i needed support from someone other than my best friends (we all know we're wonderful GODDESSES in that group, LMAO!!!) just sometimes you need *different* support, i guess...

ann marie and the "i offer support too, but not as much as the bra i fished out of the laundry basket...." buttercup

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by TheButtercup@Oct 23 2005, 10:15 AM
thanks again for your support.  you guys are all awesome.  i apologize for taking up a thread and being all selfish, but i needed support from someone other than my best friends (we all know we're wonderful GODDESSES in that group, LMAO!!!) just sometimes you need *different* support, i guess...

ann marie and the "i offer support too, but not as much as the bra i fished out of the laundry basket...." buttercup
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112567
[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't apologize for taking up a thread!!! I enjoy all your posts and the Buttercup is always so clever. I just wish I had advice to offer.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
It almost sounds as though the left hand does not know what the right is doing. I think if I was you I might consult an attorney. Read your lease very close. Most of the time job transfers could affect lease trems. You could take a job back home and that certainly would qualify you for a cancelation. I don't think they can legally change the rules (ie vacation and such) in the middle of the game so to speak. A good employment attorney could set you free
It might be worth a phone call. Also call your apartment complex from an outside phone and do not identify yourself. Ask your questions as someone who might be interested in moving in. Ask questions like, have there every been exceptions? Also, your company may have to help with these expenses since they knew your lease was up for renewal and did not tell you of the new restructuring plans. It is not nice to throw curve balls at your own players.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts