Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping someone learn to drive and wanted to know if anyone could give me pointers on what the DMV is looking for when they take the actual driviing test, not the written test...any tricks they tried pulling? Sneaky things they tried to catch you on?

~Elegant

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
The one thing I remember is that the state trooper reamed me for not putting my arm on the passenger seat when I reversed....He had the seat pushed back so far I couldn't reach it!!! I still don't think it was my fault but of course my driver's license was in his hands, so I apologized a million times and promised to do it the 'right' way next time....he was so mean, I was about to cry

Other than that it was just the basics
left turn
right turn
parallel park (there was only a car in front of me though, I didn't have to actually park between 2 cars)
reverse in a straight line
hand signals

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well I can tell you whats onthe florida test but its different than most the tests in the country, its supposed to be the easierest test they have becuase they took off the parallel parking and dont make you drive on the real road. I did actully end up hitting something on my tests but thats becuase there was a sign in front of the parking pad at the end of the parking spot that I thought was behind the pad but oh well. The only tricky part was really the parking on a hill question but I think it was tricky because here in florida there are no hills so no one knows anyhting about parking on them lol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
When I took my driving test in Northern CA...eons ago (1980)...it took about or less than 5 minutes. I drove around the block, left and right turns, pulling into a parking space (NO parallel parking), maybe hand signals, and I think that was it. I did lose points on speed control and something else. But remember, that was over 20 years ago, so things may have changed.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If you go to the test place they have sheets that tell you exactly what is on the test, well they have them near me anyways, you should stop by and try adn get one.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@May 6 2005, 03:24 PM
Put on your seatbelt and adjust all mirrors BEFORE you even start the car.....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60513
[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah depending where you go they can fail you for some random stuff (not that its not important to put on your seat belt but you know) one place around here checks your tried and if you dont have enough tread they wont let you take the test. Also make sure whoever is taking the test makes a reservation now its booked like 2 months in advanced around here and if you show up without a reservation you will be sitting around for most the day. Even with a reservation dont be suprsed when you dont get called for at least an hour.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If you get to pick a time to take it try to be the first appointment after lunch they just had a long relaxful break and have a belly full so they are nicer. LOL

If the tester doesn't put his seatbelt on ask him to before you start the car......when I took it my mother had a car with a bench seat I was pushing 5 feet with heals and the tester was a good 6'6" and 285. So he was squished! so my test was short we barely went around the block hehe and he asked me to parrall park so I started to and he said forget it if you park as slow as you drive we will be here all day. I scored a 98. He said he docked me to pnts cause he was sqished. lol....

I wish he had of told the officer that stopped me last night that I drove slow.

If you are young and cute and the tester is a old man ... wear a tank and shorts heheh ...just kidding (well maybe not that much)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
know all the hand signals. like when you stick your arm out of the car and you have to do "right, left, and stop".

also...know how to turn on the headlights and the emergency lights. and i think the defroster.

OH, and go like 3 mph UNDER the speed limit. just in case. and just drive around the DMV station...thats where they're going to take you. know the area!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by HollyHobbie@May 6 2005, 04:35 PM
If you get to pick a time to take it try to be the first appointment after lunch they just had a long relaxful break and have a belly full so they are nicer. LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60533
[/QUOTE]

LOL! or they might be annoyed that you made them come back from lunch..

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I took the California test in 1991 when I lived in Santa Barbara. It was straightforward, by the book, no tricks.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You gotta overexagerate every move you make, like when you check you mirrors turn your whole head and look straight at the mirror.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much for the help. He passed!

They had him do the hand signals, defroster, blinkers, brake pedal, two lane change, right and left turns, park, reverse after having parked, and make sure you are aware and make it obvious that you are looking at the traffic and environment, stopping at a red light before making a right turn.

That's all I can remember! Yay! Again, thanks for the help!

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@May 7 2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks so much for the help.  He passed!

They had him do the hand signals, defroster, blinkers, brake pedal, two lane change, right and left turns, park, reverse after having parked, and make sure you are aware and make it obvious that you are looking at the traffic and environment, stopping at a red light before making a right turn.

That's all I can remember!  Yay!  Again, thanks for the help!

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60709
[/QUOTE]

Man that is sooo much stuff compared to the Florida test lol I think we have the easyest test the the country though (and the highest rate of accedents)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts