Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since Nelson is losing teeth like everyday. Over the past week or so, he keeps eating less and less. We figured out it was hard for him to eat. So we've been putting water on his wet dog food to get them moist.
He eats, so but still not much because he still kinda has to chew them, they are just softer.

But I was wondering if there was some way to make it into we dog food, like in the blender? We don't want to start giving him wet dog food instead of his dry, because we want him to eat the dry food. But right now, I looked in his mouth and he has hardly any molars. Poor baby... :unsure:

So has anyone ever done this? I'm going to look online to see if I see anything, but figured I'd start here. I just wouldn't know how much water to add to not make it soupy, but sorta more like wet food so he doesn't have to chew it as much.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it worked! I just tried. I put some dry food in a bowl, with a little water so it soaked it all up. And then put it in the blender, and kept adding little bits of water until it got like patte.
It isn't the most delicious looking thing (think cat puke...) but he eventually came over to it sniffed it, and scarfed the whole plate down.

So if anyone else's puppies are having trouble eating their dry food, try that! He was having me hand feed him 1 kibble at a time earlier, because some were softer than others. So he'd spit out the harder ones and eat the mushy ones. So basically I just mushed it all up for him, almost like wet food. Kinda looks like wet cat food. So atleast he is getting food this way!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Well, it looks like you figured out on your own that yes, you can make your own "wet" food from his dry kibble. Just be warned, though, that most dogs prefer their kibble moistened and may refuse the dry kibble once you stop blending it for him. ;)

I prefer to just let nature take it's course and continue feeding dry food. They certainly do eat less when they're teething so bad, but that is fine. I supplemented with giving fresh veggies as treats throughout the day. Chewing on the hard kibble helps their teeth push through (just like teething babies) so make sure you still give him some hard kibble and/or bully sticks or Antlerz to chew on. :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh really? Well he wasn't eating the dry at all... I thought it would be worse for him to not be eating, than to offer is mushed up.

He loves his dry food. I mean he has all along, until about the past 5 days or so. When I started to notice he has almost NO molars. He just lost another one tonight, poor guy. I hope he will go back to the dry food once his teeth do come in. And I still have the dry food in his bowl and on his other dish as it always was. I just every few hours or so, I put a little in the blender for him and he eats it up. I was worried about him getting hypoglycemic or something since he wasn't hardly eating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts