Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I switched Puddles from Canidae dry to Innova dry. He is eating the Innova better, but only in sperks. Hubby has noticed today that he had not eaten at all. If he has it's only been a nugget or two. His food is available to him any time during the day, good or bad?

I was told to ask .... should we be giving him some type of can food?

I'm concern that once we start the can food he will not eat the dry. I don't want runny poop and also I thought the dry would be good for his teeth and gums.

But then again I want him to eat, not that's he's to small (11lbs).

Decisions .... Decisions

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brink eats a tablespoon of canned in the morning with his dry kibble. He knows it is his morning "breakfast"!
He eats the Chicken Soup for the Petlovers Soul.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut has some off days when he won't eat that much. Unless Puddles is continuously skipping meals I wouldn't worry. Today I started mixing their Artemis small breed kibble with Merrick canned food. The boys have been eating less recently (maybe has to do with the worm medication?) but they totally loved the Merrick canned and they both cleaned their bowls. I rarely ever give them canned, but I think I will continue to mix kibble with canned if they like it as much as they did today
You could try what Traci does and just give one meal mixed with the canned and the other meal only dry.

If Puddles continues to be picky about eating the best recommendation I have is to take the bowl away. I liked having the bowl of food out so that the boys can eat when they want, but now that I feed them at specific times they have become much better at finishing their bowls.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I prefer to feed meals with multiple dogs because then I know for sure who ate what. It also has helped my picky eater because you eat or you go hungry.

Canned is fine. As with any food addition or switch, slowly add it in. Kibble doesn't really do much for dental health. You need to brush those teeth three or more times per week. That is the most important dental care. If you want to feed canned or add some canned in, go for it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you give canned, what do you do with the rest of the can? How long does it keep in the refrigerator? Can you freeze the leftovers???

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Chester is like that . He will eat a lot one day then water only the other.
He is now three. When he has not eaten for two days we scatter his food on the floor . He like to hunt for it. Somtimes he is just so picky. He likes his food served in his crate.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sis gets both. She gets canned morning and evening and has free access to dry kibble all day. She also eats in "spurts" but she knows that if she does not eat the canned food all at once it goes bye-bye. She goes through a whole can in about 4 days and we have a lid specific to pet food cans (you can get them at Wal-Mart in the pet food isle) and they keep just fine for those 4 days. I would not keep it longer than that even though it is in the fridge...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have also picked up a can of Innova, they have nerver had can food before.
I'm going to give it to them as a treat.

I hope they like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts