Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pipper was at the groomer today and when I picked him up they told me he had what they refer to as a "dryer seizure". They said they have seen it happen before in dogs that are getting older and they said it's comparable to a panic attack. The dog loses control of their bowels and bladder and I can't remember what else she said because I was so panicked. so panicked. They put him down on the floor and he was running around then. There is no loss of consciousness or actual seizuring. I called the vet on the way home and they said to just monitor him for the day and make sure he's acting normal but they figure it was due to extreme stress. My poor poor Pipper. My heart is breaking thinking he's THAT scared at the groomer. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,906 Posts
Kathy, first let me say I am so sorry this happened to our little Pipper & to you! Hopefully it is a one off.
My own ? is, did he just plain get too hot w/that dryer! I don't think the groomer would tell you because it would show carelessness on their part. It could happen easily. You might think about looking around for another groomer.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
OK---so looked this up & here is what I learned:
While it is clear that there are no real warning signals for which dogs will seize, there are things you can do to minimize these seizures in dogs already prone to having them. Possibly.

• First of all DO NOT use a force dryer with a nozzle (especially a cone nozzle) to dry a dog that has had one. The nozzle will cause more stimulation both to the skin and to the hearing induced seizures.
  • Use cotton balls in the ears and if you have them add a Happy Hoodie as well. This will help tremendously if its sound induced or if, like in my own ears, the sound from the dryer buffeting as it moves triggers the problem. On a sidenote, I cannot be in a car with only one window open due to the air buffeting. I cannot open both back windows of my car either because the noise and pressure change makes me sick.
  • Whenever possible, dry the dog with a stand dryer or hand dryer instead of a force dryer.
P1010054

When packing ears with cotton I tear the cotton ball into small pieces and insert deeply into the ear canal.

What do you do when it happens?

1. It is critical that you not continue to force through one of these episodes and continue drying the dog. It can be damaging for the dog if you do that.
  2. Turn off the dryer as fast as possible.
  3. Remove the dog as quickly as possible from the area the sound is in.
  4. Hold the dog if possible close to your body until they have calmed down.
  5. If that is not possible, place them in a kennel with a pad or towel for their own safety.
After the seizure has resolved, the dogs usually act as if nothing has happened and the groom can continue as normal.

I always tell the owners that it happe

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had just finished watching this same vide and it made me cry to think of Pipper being that scared and acting like that. I had also called the groomer back and because my mind drew a blank and I couldn't remember what she had said and she described it just like the video. I will bathe him at home from now on but it just breaks my heart to think of my poor boy that upset. I never ever want him to be scared of anything. 😢. It's killing me to know he was so scared and I wasn't there for him.

·
Registered
Luna
565 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened!

Luna's first and only experience at the groomer was so hard for both me and her, that my husband learned how to cut her hair,

Sending you both hugs.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so sorry that happened!

Luna's first and only experience at the groomer was so hard for both me and her, that my husband learned how to cut her hair,

Sending you both hugs.
I groomed Pipper a few times myself when we were in lockdown but he doesn't let me touch his feet or his face so it's not an option for me to always do him at home. I wish I could. I hate leaving him at the groomer just as much as he hates going there. Next time I have to take him I will bathe him at home first but I'm still going to have myself pretty stressed out about leaving him.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Kathy, is it possible for you to get permission to remain at the groomers in light of what happened? I think you will still be anxious but at least you will be close. Or. . . can you ask your vet if there is something he can take beforehand that would calm him & then you can take it instead? :love: jk---I would not give him anything beforehand but I might stay nearby.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kathy, is it possible for you to get permission to remain at the groomers in light of what happened? I think you will still be anxious but at least you will be close. Or. . . can you ask your vet if there is something he can take beforehand that would calm him & then you can take it instead? :love: jk---I would not give him anything beforehand but I might stay nearby.
I don't think Pipper would behave on the grooming table if I was in sight but I'm thinking of staying close by in the building just in case. I would groom him myself but he doesn't let me touch his feet or face so that isn't an option. I won't have her bathe him any more though, I will do it at home. I called the vet this morning and they said to monitor him all day but I also sent them an email with more questions and a link to the article and video. I can't concentrate on anything today because I'm just so upset thinking about how stressed he must have been. He gets nervous when I first start to dry him at home but I calm him down with treats and kisses and then he's ok. Next time I bath him I'm going to be terrified to dry him now. If I happen to be repeating myself at all its because I'm so stressed right now. I just love this boy so much but you know that.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Maybe you can just towel dry him & let him finish w/air dry. I know it isn't ideal but we do what we have to do. Anyone would worry in your situation, Kathy. I am sorry this happened to our little guy but happy they "fessed up." Are you sure they don't give him any kind of sedative before the groom that may have affected him. I guess I just don't trust people to do the right thing.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe you can just towel dry him & let him finish w/air dry. I know it isn't ideal but we do what we have to do. Anyone would worry in your situation, Kathy. I am sorry this happened to our little guy but happy they "fessed up." Are you sure they don't give him any kind of sedative before the groom that may have affected him. I guess I just don't trust people to do the right thing.
Just towel drying him does sound like a better idea. I'm pretty sure there's no way they would give a sedative, he's too lively when I pick him up. He spins in fast motion circles when he sees me just like he does when it's meal time. The groomer said she has a few other clients that this has happened to and she recommended to all of them to bathe the dog at home. We have used this same groomer his whole life so he knows her but he hates going there just like he hates going to the vet. It just gives me a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach knowing there is something not quite right that went on in his little body. You would know this feeling all too well. It's awful.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,028 Posts
Kathy,

I am so sorry. This is the first time that I heard of it. You mentioned before that Pipper got an ear infection because the groomer did not dry his ears properly. I wonder if this has happened before, but this particular one is a bit more serious.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Kathy,

I am so sorry. This is the first time that I heard of it. You mentioned before that Pipper got an ear infection because the groomer did not dry his ears properly. I wonder if this has happened before, but this particular one is a bit more serious.
From what I read Walter, it mostly happens in older dogs so now that Pipper is 10, I guess he's considered older? Pipper has only ever had one ear infection in his life ( knock on wood ) and that was just when he was still a puppy so I think you must be thinking of someone else. Maybe it was some other small ailment he had went to the vet for that you're thinking of and I can't even remember what it was. The groomer said she has a couple of other clients that have to bathe their dogs at home because this has happened. From what I read, it's brought on by the dryer. I just hope it doesn't lead to other worse seizures. When I called the vet they said that it was probably aggravated by stress. I hate this!

I'm editing this post Walter because I think I just remembered the thing you were talking about. It wasn't an ear infection, it was redness in the skin around his eye. Bet that's what you were thinking about because it was happened last spring or winter and the vet came to the conclusion he had injured it somehow.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am So Sorry to hear about Pipper. I never heard of dry seizure. If you decide to bathe Pipper I wanted to mention I bought at Chewy.com microfiber towels it drys their hair real quick being hand dried. I have done that for Cody at times. So sorry for Pipper went through that, so glad he’s home where there’s lots of Love.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
I did notice that in the video the groomer used a "cone" and used it very close to his body---(I have never dried my dogs like that) & he may have gotten over-heated. That your groomer would have had several clients whose dogs have done this I find remarkable. I have had small dogs for donkey's years & I never heard of this happening.
I have had a hair dresser get really close to my head w/the hair dryer & I yelp. It can burn. Just some more food for thought.

·
Super Moderator
10,313 Posts
I've never heard of this in almost 40 years of owning dogs and taking them to groomers. I will say this - my current groomer who I've gone to for over 20 years is wonderful and makes it as fun as possible for the dogs to go there. With all four of the dogs I've taken to her, our first visit was a meet and greet where she met the dogs and let them sniff around for a few minutes. That was a short, free, "consultation" where she met the pups and we talked about how to groom them. And they love going to her!

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm going to give my vet a call today and see what they have to say. I just want to make sure that it's a "real" thing but from all the reading I did online yesterday it seems that it's a thing that groomers have been taught to watch for but I want reassurance from my vet. I also want to know if this is something that won't happen again as long as a dryer isn't used on him. As if my poor mind hasn't been stressed enough since covid started, I sure didn't need this added to it.

Have to add, the groomer is the one who suggested I report it to my vet, which is something I would have done anyways. It's not like she was trying to hide anything.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found a dog grooming forum and copied this from it:

I have three dogs that cannot even be in the room when a dryer is going or they have one of those seizures.

Dooley, an elderly westie mix, would scream, pee, poop and then dig his way out of a cage if he was exposed to the dryer sound. After the first one we never put him back in the room with the dryers and he was bathed when the dryer was on break.

Sam, an elderly pekepoo, has to be done straight through and sent home because even a dryer going in the building will send him into one. Even a hand dryer sets him off though and he bit through my finger last time, so mom now has to bathe him the day before we groom him and I groom him, then she comes right back.

There are several triggers and I think that some dryers are worse than others for triggers as well. The sound, the warm air around the ears and face.

And this was another post on the same forum:

I think on most cases (not all) the warm air is the worst trigger. Sound is definitely an issue for some. But an informal survey on my FB group showed every brand of dryer including a stand dryer and just being in the room with the dryer on are capable of producing the reaction. Worst seizure I evet witnessed the dog was in the room when the dryer cut off, not even bathed yet. He now gets an Express service where mom bathes and dried him at home and I do him on days we are closed.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do they have mobile grooming services there? The ones that come to your house in a van?
No unfortunately they don't. I have a phone call in to the vet to ask more questions. Hopefully they get back to me sometime today

1 - 20 of 50 Posts