Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,891 Posts
One would think it would happen at home when they are dried w/a dryer---has that ever happened to Pipper. I am sorry to sound so skeptical but in all honesty I am a bit! Maybe it is the high pitched sound but then why does it not affect other dogs at the same time who are present. There are just too many unanswered questions for me still.
Good mom for doing all your research. I will follow w/great interest. We can always learn something new, even if we have gray hair! :)

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
One would think it would happen at home when they are dried w/a dryer---has that ever happened to Pipper. I am sorry to sound so skeptical but in all honesty I am a bit! Maybe it is the high pitched sound but then why does it not affect other dogs at the same time who are present. There are just too many unanswered questions for me still.
Good mom for doing all your research. I will follow w/great interest. We can always learn something new, even if we have gray hair! :)
At home when I turn on the hair dryer he gets very figity and kind of panicked looking at first but once I give him some treats and keep reassuring him he then settles down. I don't know what to do the next time I bathe him. I will be afraid to use the hair dryer but worried he will get cold if I don't dry him. My oldest granddaughter works at a Pet Valu which has an in store groomer. I'm going to have her ask this groomer if she has ever experienced this happening.

·
Premium Member
17,891 Posts
Some more food for thought from an internet grooming site:
9 High velocity dryers are a gift to groomers, but they offer some safety concerns. This type of dryer works by moving large volumes of air through the animal’s fur to physically push the water off and away from the hair shafts. Both the sounds from the motor and the noise created when the air meets the pet and surfaces around it are loud. Protect the animal’s sensitive ears with cotton, Happy Hoodies, or both. The pressure from high volume air can irritate skin that is already sensitive or compromised and can injure pets if it is blown into the eyes, ears, nostrils, mouth, anus or genital area.

10 Some elderly dogs have adverse reactions to high velocity dryers. Once a dog has a bad reaction to a high velocity dryer, they should not be exposed to them in the future, as it will most likely happen again.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Some more food for thought from an internet grooming site:
9 High velocity dryers are a gift to groomers, but they offer some safety concerns. This type of dryer works by moving large volumes of air through the animal’s fur to physically push the water off and away from the hair shafts. Both the sounds from the motor and the noise created when the air meets the pet and surfaces around it are loud. Protect the animal’s sensitive ears with cotton, Happy Hoodies, or both. The pressure from high volume air can irritate skin that is already sensitive or compromised and can injure pets if it is blown into the eyes, ears, nostrils, mouth, anus or genital area.

10 Some elderly dogs have adverse reactions to high velocity dryers. Once a dog has a bad reaction to a high velocity dryer, they should not be exposed to them in the future, as it will most likely happen again.
Thanks Sandi. At least I won't have to worry about that anymore because I will always bathe him at home and might not use a hairdryer at all or if I do I will watch carefully for any sign of something going to happen. When he goes to the groomer next time I will tell her to make sure that she's not using the dryer on another dog within Pipper's hearing distance. She already said yesterday that she was putting it in Pipper's chart that this had happened.

Vet called back and she had never heard of dryer seizures either but she googled it and found the same info as I had already found on grooming sites. She said it might not even be an actual seizure but more like a panic attack but unless she was to see it happen she can't say for sure. I'm taking him for wellness bloodwork next Thursday afternoon to make sure there isn't anything going on that I'm not aware of.

I was already feeling stressed out this happened because it's our Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada this weekend and it's going to be another holiday spent without our family. 😢 My kids and their spouses are all vaccinated but with 11 grandchildren and 10 of them aren't old enough to be vaccinated we just can't risk getting together. I assume Christmas will be the same unless they get the vaccine approved for kids real soon.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My granddaughter who works at Pet Valu asked their in store groomer if she had ever heard of Dryer Seizures and she said that she has had it happen to her a few times. She said that the dogs are fine and then all of a sudden they are acting like they have lost their mind. It always older dogs. She said when that happens you have to use a different dryer on them next time. I won't have to worry about that though because there won't ever be a dryer used on Pipper again at the groomer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pipper was at the groomer today and when I picked him up they told me he had what they refer to as a "dryer seizure". They said they have seen it happen before in dogs that are getting older and they said it's comparable to a panic attack. The dog loses control of their bowels and bladder and I can't remember what else she said because I was so panicked. so panicked. They put him down on the floor and he was running around then. There is no loss of consciousness or actual seizuring. I called the vet on the way home and they said to just monitor him for the day and make sure he's acting normal but they figure it was due to extreme stress. My poor poor Pipper. My heart is breaking thinking he's THAT scared at the groomer. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
I have never heard of this and am so sorry that this happed to Pipper. I hope this was only a one time episode but glad you called the vet. Sending good thoughts and hugs....

·
Premium Member
17,891 Posts
Kathy, I think you may find that a dryer is a dryer---whether at home or at groomers, although I doubt that you use a cone dryer & hold it that close to his skin. So it is something that has to be reconciled w/reality. You are so right---Pipper should be dried because of possibility of sickness, if not---esp. where you live & the cold weather. The suggestion about using a good, absorbent drying cloth is super but it won't entirely take care of him. You are on the right path of doing the best research possible but you will have to accept the fact that in spite of your very best efforts it may happen again. Self-protection is not perfect. Let us keep hopeful regardless & pray for insight along w/your hard work. Bless you & huge hugs.

Reactions: pippersmom

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,016 Posts
I am not sure why, but both and Casper needed extra drying to get their ears dried. I find the ears the most difficult to comb out and get dry. And I spend a lot of time with the drier near their ears. I wonder whether you could shampoo the body, but use some kind of dry shampoo on the ears so you did not need to use the drier near the face. You may also try lower speed and lower temperature.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I am not sure why, but both and Casper needed extra drying to get their ears dried. I find the ears the most difficult to comb out and get dry. And I spend a lot of time with the drier near their ears. I wonder whether you could shampoo the body, but use some kind of dry shampoo on the ears so you did not need to use the drier near the face. You may also try lower speed and lower temperature.
The groomer had left his ears a bit wet the other day because she said she had to quit drying when she got near the head area. Maybe I can just towel dry his head and ears really well and turn the heat up in the house until he's fully dry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pipper was at the groomer today and when I picked him up they told me he had what they refer to as a "dryer seizure". They said they have seen it happen before in dogs that are getting older and they said it's comparable to a panic attack. The dog loses control of their bowels and bladder and I can't remember what else she said because I was so panicked. so panicked. They put him down on the floor and he was running around then. There is no loss of consciousness or actual seizuring. I called the vet on the way home and they said to just monitor him for the day and make sure he's acting normal but they figure it was due to extreme stress. My poor poor Pipper. My heart is breaking thinking he's THAT scared at the groomer. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Oh No!!! Poor adorable Piper😍 when my Maltese, Prissy began having infrequent seizures it was due to liver issues. My vet put her on liver care dog food and they stopped!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
For our Rocky we always ask for the same groomer and do an Express Groom with her. It cost more but she does him at his appt time and we stay there and wait til dhe is done. It cost more b/c she is only working on him, but this solved problems of him getting tramatized and he knows her and she knows him. No kennel infections etc.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
For our Rocky we always ask for the same groomer and do an Express Groom with her. It cost more but she does him at his appt time and we stay there and wait til dhe is done. It cost more b/c she is only working on him, but this solved problems of him getting tramatized and he knows her and she knows him. No kennel infections etc.
This is the same groomer we have used Pipper's whole life so he knows her, he just doesn't like being there. He doesn't like being away from me. He's only at the groomer for about an hour. I drop him off at his scheduled time and she calls for me to pick him up as soon as he's done.
I had him to the vet today for wellness blood work and the poor guy was so terrified all the way there. It makes me so sad.

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
5,872 Posts
Gosh Kathy…im so sorry this happened to Piper. I just watched a video on this and it was hard to watch.
My Ling can not have her hair dried unless i use a diffuser on very low and I have to stand 2-3 feet back. Im basically just keeping her warm so she doesnt get chilled. My groomer uses a large fan on her during the summertime and hangs her home dryer during the colder months for her, otherwise she will cry out frantically
Also, for Ling the airflow has to be low and noise level has too be lower, nothing high pitched. Even if dryer is on low but still sounds high pitch, she panics, if that makes sense.
I absolutely hate those high velocity dryers the groomers use. They are much too loud and strong for our breed. I bought one and couldn’t wait to gift it to my groomer a month later. It makes for a good leaf blower though 😉

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Gosh Kathy…im so sorry this happened to Piper. I just watched a video on this and it was hard to watch.
My Ling can not have her hair dried unless i use a diffuser on very low and I have to stand 2-3 feet back. Im basically just keeping her warm so she doesnt get chilled. My groomer uses a large fan on her during the summertime and hangs her home dryer during the colder months for her, otherwise she will cry out frantically
Also, for Ling the airflow has to be low and noise level has too be lower, nothing high pitched. Even if dryer is on low but still sounds high pitch, she panics, if that makes sense.
I absolutely hate those high velocity dryers the groomers use. They are much too loud and strong for our breed. I bought one and couldn’t wait to gift it to my groomer a month later. It makes for a good leaf blower though 😉
Joanne it almost sounds like Ling has had the same thing or close to it with the crying and panicking. That video you watched made me cry thinking Pipper experienced that. Groomer said he barked uncontrollably, jumped around trying to get away and lost control of bowels and bladder. Groomer described it as being like a panic attack. My poor poor boy.
On a better note, I took him to the vet yesterday for wellness bloodwork just to make sure there was nothing else going on and his bloodwork was PERFECT!

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
5,872 Posts
Joanne it almost sounds like Ling has had the same thing or close to it with the crying and panicking. That video you watched made me cry thinking Pipper experienced that. Groomer said he barked uncontrollably, jumped around trying to get away and lost control of bowels and bladder. Groomer described it as being like a panic attack. My poor poor boy.
On a better note, I took him to the vet yesterday for wellness bloodwork just to make sure there was nothing else going on and his bloodwork was PERFECT!
Im so glad everything checked out at the vet and I hope your able to find a solution. Maybe using the fan like my groomer does. Theres no sound and she sets it very low, so it feels like the wind is blowing. It wouldn't seem like it would dry them but it does.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Im so glad everything checked out at the vet and I hope your able to find a solution. Maybe using the fan like my groomer does. Theres no sound and she sets it very low, so it feels like the wind is blowing. It wouldn't seem like it would dry them but it does.
I will bathe and dry him at home from now on and just get the groomer to do the cutting. There is no way I would risk an episode like that happening again. I just hope he's ok with the cutting because that's something I just can't do. I've tried but he doesn't like me touching his feet or trimming around his eyes and I wouldn't want to stress him out by trying to do it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts