Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dropped a used dryer sheet on the floor and Pipper found it before I did and tore it up. I pieced it back together to see if he actually ate any of it and about 1/8 of the sheet is missing so he swallowed some. I'm waiting on a phone call from the vet but in case anyone reads this first, do you think I need to be worried. The sheet was used and he only ingested about 1/8 of the sheet but I'm going to worry anyways. This is how much he ate. I put the ripped sheet on top of another used sheet.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,906 Posts
I doubt if that small amount would cause a problem in terms of the chemicals. My concern would mostly be a blockage because those things do not break down. See what your vet says, but I would give him some pumpkin to get things moving.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt if that small amount would cause a problem in terms of the chemicals. My concern would mostly be a blockage because those things do not break down. See what your vet says, but I would give him some pumpkin to get things moving.
Walter, I just added a picture to my post

·
Super Moderator
9,906 Posts
What did you vet say. Did he suggest hydrogen peroxide to cause vomiting or to wait.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What did you vet say. Did he suggest hydrogen peroxide to cause vomiting or to wait.
Vet hasn't called back yet. They are out of the office at the moment. I don't even have hydrogen peroxide. Normally I am so carefully taking stuff out of the dryer

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vet called back and she checked into it and as long as the dryer sheet had already been used, the toxic stuff is gone. She just recommended that I feed him an extra meal tonight to help push everything through. He will love me even more for that extra meal.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
So glad it’s not toxic anymore but I have to be honest.,.I’m not sure I trust that advice so much.I’m not trying to panic you, I just like to be extra extra careful. I use those Mrs. Meyers sheets and even after going thru a cycle, they still smell a lot. Did your vet say to watch him for anything?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vet called back and she checked into it and as long as the dryer sheet had already been used, the toxic stuff is gone. She just recommended that I feed him an extra meal tonight to help push everything through. He will love me even more for that extra meal.
Bardie did the same thing about 6 months ago. He had chewed the pieces so small that what he swallowed passed right through. He ate about the same amount from what I can tell from the picture.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So glad it’s not toxic anymore but I have to be honest.,.I’m not sure I trust that advice so much.I’m not trying to panic you, I just like to be extra extra careful. I use those Mrs. Meyers sheets and even after going thru a cycle, they still smell a lot. Did your vet say to watch him for anything?
Joanne the vet went to an online vet chat and a poison control place.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bardie did the same thing about 6 months ago. He had chewed the pieces so small that what he swallowed passed right through. He ate about the same amount from what I can tell from the picture.
Thanks, that puts my mind at ease....a bit.

·
Super Moderator
9,906 Posts
Pumpkin will help get things moving. You wait that to come out if him so it does not get stuck. I am glad the vet put your mind at ease. I am sure Pipper will be fine.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Pumpkin will help get things moving. You wait that to come out if him so it does not get stuck. I am glad the vet put your mind at ease. I am sure Pipper will be fine.
I don't have any pumpkin and I haven't been in a store since the pandemic began and am too nervous to go in one right now. Things are pretty dire her in Ontario. I just received my first vaccine a few days ago and due to supply issues we have to wait 16 weeks for our second dose so I'm not protected yet.
I'm giving Pipper an extra meal so hopefully that will move things along too. He was fed dinner at 4:30, a small meal at 6:30 and another small meal at 8:30. He will love me even more after all that

·
Super Moderator
9,906 Posts
I don't have any pumpkin and I haven't been in a store since the pandemic began and am too nervous to go in one right now. Things are pretty dire her in Ontario. I just received my first vaccine a few days ago so am not protected yet. I'm giving Pipper an extra meal so hopefully that will move things along too. He was fed dinner at 4:30, a small meal at 6:30 and another small meal at 8:30. He will love me even more after all that
That should work fine. You want some bulk (forgive the graphic comment) to pull the dryer shreds through. Casper gets some as a treat every week, though he really likes my pumpkin cake.

You might want to get some pumpkin, put it in ice cube trays and store the cubes in a bag in your freezer. Pumpkin is amazing for adding bulk; it is also good for diarherra. It is good for them. Puree not pumpkin pie mix

Congrat on your first vaccine. Just got dose 2 on Sat.

Reactions: pippersmom

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That should work fine. You want some bulk (forgive the graphic comment) to pull the dryer shreds through. Casper gets some as a treat every week, though he really likes my pumpkin cake.

You might want to get some pumpkin, put it in ice cube trays and store the cubes in a bag in your freezer. Pumpkin is amazing for adding bulk; it is also good for diarherra. It is good for them. Puree not pumpkin pie mix

Congrat on your first vaccine. Just got dose 2 on Sat.
Did you have any side effects after the 2nd dose. I've heard that dose 2 can have more side effects. I only had a sore arm after the 1st dose.

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,276 Posts
Kathy

Congratulations on getting your first Covid vaccine!
I'm so HAPPY for you!
Its about time!

istockphoto-480997362-612x612.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,906 Posts
Did you have any side effects after the 2nd dose. I've heard that dose 2 can have more side effects. I only had a sore arm after the 1st dose.
Bit of a sore arm and feeling fuzzy, but it went away quickly. Back to normal today.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts